Computers & Electronics

mSATA SSD + enclosure for Android otg

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2016 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2055 posts
288 upvotes
GTA

mSATA SSD + enclosure for Android otg

Has anyone tried using an msata ssd with enclosure with an Android device (usb otg)? I'm going to bring only my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet (instead of a laptop) for travelling and was wondering if it would be able to power up the ssd? From what I've read, it can support drives like the Samsung T1/T3 and the Sandisk Extreme 500, so I was wondering if it might be cheaper to put together my own. Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5284 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
Gigi wrote: Has anyone tried using an msata ssd with enclosure with an Android device (usb otg)? I'm going to bring only my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet (instead of a laptop) for travelling and was wondering if it would be able to power up the ssd? From what I've read, it can support drives like the Samsung T1/T3 and the Sandisk Extreme 500, so I was wondering if it might be cheaper to put together my own. Thanks.
SSD don't have any moving parts so you could probably get away with just an off the shelf SSD and a USB to Sata cable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2055 posts
288 upvotes
GTA
Jep4444 wrote: SSD don't have any moving parts so you could probably get away with just an off the shelf SSD and a USB to Sata cable.
Thanks for the reply, but a regular SSD needs a power supply with my tablet (and phone). I already tried it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16260 posts
5044 upvotes
London
Why not just a regular USB stick? It's a lot smaller/ cheaper/ easier to use than a ssd
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2055 posts
288 upvotes
GTA
I need the storage for photos and videos.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33698 posts
7347 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a Crucial m500 mSATA drive in a Visiontek enclosure. I use a Verbatim OTG adapter to plug it into my Nexus 7 and it works

I then used a USB power meter to measure the current drawn

USB uses 5 volts, when accessing the drive it drew .5 amps or 2.5 watts. When not in use it drew 0.001 amps

The Nexus 7 conforms to USB 2.0 specs. More importantly this test tells us that mSATA draws little power
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2055 posts
288 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: I have a Crucial m500 mSATA drive in a Visiontek enclosure. I use a Verbatim OTG adapter to plug it into my Nexus 7 and it works

I then used a USB power meter to measure the current drawn

USB uses 5 volts, when accessing the drive it drew .5 amps or 2.5 watts. When not in use it drew 0.001 amps

The Nexus 7 conforms to USB 2.0 specs. More importantly this test tells us that mSATA draws little power
Thanks!!!! That's exactly what I was wondering about.

I see that the m500 is no longer available. Which one would you recommend as a replacement? Are the Samsung EVOs any good?
Member
Jun 10, 2006
433 posts
98 upvotes
This may be unrelated, but I put a spare M.2 SSD drive from a Chromebook into an external USB enclosure -- to act as a super fast/reliable USB portable drive -- and it works great. However, under Linux (which I use), the desired 'TRIM' functionality is missing over a USB connection :( . Would the same limitation exist for Android OTG?
Member
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gee wrote: USB uses 5 volts, when accessing the drive it drew .5 amps or 2.5 watts.
IOW, it maxes out the USB 2 spec. I have a USB3 external and it only works reliably with one USB port on my old USB2 laptop. The others won't offer up enough power.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33698 posts
7347 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Gigi wrote: Thanks!!!! That's exactly what I was wondering about.

I see that the m500 is no longer available. Which one would you recommend as a replacement? Are the Samsung EVOs any good?
You should have no problems using the Samsung Evo. The specs for mSATA are all the same

Top