Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
mSecure

mSecure password manager $20 CAD for a limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2018 1:57 pm
Jun 12, 2005
251 posts
237 upvotes

mSecure password manager $20 CAD for a limited time

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
50% off
Retailer:
mSecure
Received this coupon link since I was a previous customer of theirs:

https://www.msecure.com/purchase-sign-i ... n=ORDER50E

Not sure how they stack up to other password managers, but for $20 lifetime subscription, you really can't go wrong.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
I have bought their mobile app (V4)... now with V5, not only I have to pay again to use the new version but my old V4 files (saved passwords) won't work with V5 and V4 is no where to be found outside of your download history... never again with these guys.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
The program is ok but these guys are terrible! :D

In V4 it was $10 for the desktop program and I would keep having to email them for key codes for my computer since there is limited activation. Then after a few years they stop responding! Why not just up the activation limit instead?

Keepass with plugins destroys this anyways and its free! :D
Mar 17, 2015
333 posts
292 upvotes
Winnipeg
JosePP wrote: but for $20 lifetime subscription, you really can't go wrong.
Except that other options like KeePass are 100% free?
Jun 12, 2005
251 posts
237 upvotes
KrimsonStudios wrote: Except that other options like KeePass are 100% free?
Does KeePass sync across multiple devices?
Aug 15, 2007
614 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've been using the older mSecure for a while now and it works well, it appears to have very strong encryption and the file can be stored on Box. If you forget your password key you're screwed though, no way to recover.
Mar 20, 2013
800 posts
1018 upvotes
Winnipeg
JosePP wrote: for $20 lifetime subscription, you really can't go wrong.
Unless the password manager exposes your passwords and your bank accounts get emptied.

That would be 'wrong'.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1161 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
KrimsonStudios wrote: Except that other options like KeePass are 100% free?
Apparently LastPass is free now. You just don't get some of the premium features. I say apparently cause I have always paid for premium. I used to use Keepass and sync over DropBox.

I think Keepass is great and light weight. My issue with Keepass was using it on mobile. It always felt like I had to do something hacky in order to have mobile support.

In the end I would recommend Keepass or Lastpass. If you need mobile support, I'd go with Lastpass. If you absolutely want "TNO" and can live with mobile headaches, go with Keepass.

EXTRA NOTES:
Lastpass also keeps track of known security breaches. It will flag any sites in your account which are known to have been hacked and let you know that you should change your password. You can also run a manual security test to see if any of you accounts were compromised.

You can set up your account to give your passwords to someone you trust if you haven't used your account for an extended period of time (the length of time is chosen by you). This is good if you happened to pass away suddenly and your significant other might need access to accounts. I use Lastpass almost every single day except when I'm on vacation. So I have set up my emergency account for inactivity of 2 months.
Last edited by ck1223 on Mar 15th, 2018 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
been using enpass for years, happy camper here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
JosePP wrote: Does KeePass sync across multiple devices?
Keepass is more of an app than it is a service. It's more flexible than other methods but it's not as straight forward for the every day user.

You can choose to sync the database on a cloud service of your choosing or to sync it via other methods like owncloud. Or you can not sync it at all.

Another alternative is Bitwarden. It's like an open source LastPass.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
ck1223 wrote: Apparently LastPass is free now. You just don't get some of the premium features. I say apparently cause I have always paid for premium. I used to use Keepass and sync over DropBox.

I think Keepass is great and light weight. My issue with Keepass was using it on mobile. It always felt like I had to do something hacky in order to have mobile support.

In the end I would recommend Keepass or Lastpass. If you need mobile support, I'd go with Lastpass. If you absolutely want "TNO" and can live with mobile headaches, go with Keepass.

EXTRA NOTES:
Lastpass also keeps track of known security breaches. It will flag any sites in your account which are known to have been hacked and let you know that you should change your password. You can also run a manual security test to see if any of you accounts were compromised.

You can set up your account to give your passwords to someone you trust if you haven't used your account for an extended period of time (the length of time is chosen by you). This is good if you happened to pass away suddenly and your significant other might need access to accounts. I use Lastpass almost every single day except when I'm on vacation. So I have set up my emergency account for inactivity of 2 months.
I can't speak to Keepass, but I've been using the free version of Lastpass for a while now and it's great. Have it on my mobile, laptop, and 2 desktops. Easy to use and keep all of the randomly generated passwords in order. Highly recommended.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
Can anyone recommend another mobile app similar to the mSecure one where I locally encrypt my password? I don't ever, ever trust online synced services, hacking is so much more prevalent these days. As I noted earlier, mSecure has terrible support for software so want to get/buy a different reliable app which won't lock me out of my own data with newer versions. Tnx.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2400 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible
ck1223 wrote:
Yep, been using LastPass for years and it's been flawless. Had the paid version for a bit as well and never had complaints.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1161 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
barcathegreat wrote: Can anyone recommend another mobile app similar to the mSecure one where I locally encrypt my password? I don't ever, ever trust online synced services, hacking is so much more prevalent these days. As I noted earlier, mSecure has terrible support for software so want to get/buy a different reliable app which won't lock me out of my own data with newer versions. Tnx.
Lastpass is encrypted locally on you computer. It is never sent to the cloud unencrypted. Apparently with Bitwarden, which is a Lastpass competitor, you can run your own cloud server. Otherwise, Keepass is probably for you...?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: Keepass is more of an app than it is a service. It's more flexible than other methods but it's not as straight forward for the every day user.

You can choose to sync the database on a cloud service of your choosing or to sync it via other methods like owncloud. Or you can not sync it at all.

Another alternative is Bitwarden. It's like an open source LastPass.
Would have been really nice if they got an independent security audit, they tried crowdfunding it but failed.
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
What idiot came up with the name for this program as the m is close to looking like in?

I misread the thread title as "insecure password manager" ROTFLMAO
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
ck1223 wrote: Lastpass is encrypted locally on you computer. It is never sent to the cloud unencrypted. Apparently with Bitwarden, which is a Lastpass competitor, you can run your own cloud server. Otherwise, Keepass is probably for you...?
Thank you, I will look into Lastpass app and see if it allows me to do locally like your desktop version.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
barcathegreat wrote: Thank you, I will look into Lastpass app and see if it allows me to do locally like your desktop version.
A proper password manager is encrypting your passwords and sending that data to be saved on the cloud. There shouldn't be a password manager product where it is individually sending your passwords to the cloud to be encrypted there to be saved. It would also be taxing for the server to perform the encryption and money heavily wasted on the developer.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: A proper password manager is encrypting your passwords and sending that data to be saved on the cloud. There shouldn't be a password manager product where it is individually sending your passwords to the cloud to be encrypted there to be saved. It would also be taxing for the server to perform the encryption and money heavily wasted on the developer.
I don't want that AT ALL. mSecure V4 app that I have, it encrypts the password and then allows me to share it (to gmail, google drive, etc.) to wherever I want to save it. I want something similar that will be supported beyond the version I paid for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)