Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

MUJI - Vancouver Store - December 2 & 3 Grand Opening - 10% Off + Free Tote Bag (Update: More Sales: 20% to 50% Off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 12:01 pm
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
84 posts
177 upvotes

MUJI - Vancouver Store - December 2 & 3 Grand Opening - 10% Off + Free Tote Bag (Update: More Sales: 20% to 50% Off)

Deal Link:
MUJI is a Japanese store that sells minimalistic goods (if you are not familiar with the brand or if you think it is just another IKEA then you are WRONG and need to read this: http://www.muji.com/ca/compactlife/ )

In my opinion this is an excellent article from the above link that is well worth reading: http://www.muji.com/ca/compactlife/column001.html

They are opening another store in Vancouver (the other MUJI stores are in Metrotown BC and the Toronto/GTA area) on Dec 2 & 3 and there is 10% off for MUJI email members (however you can just show them this email to get the discount): https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u=d5 ... 1b3e97e1c5

UPDATE:

Last edited by LeReRe on Nov 18th, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Watch Enthusiast
33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2389 posts
5614 upvotes
I hope they ditch the Japanese packaging or at least translate the product descriptions because I don't think they do in Asia. Some old lady bought some cotton candies thinking they are dish scrubs, and complained that the dish scrubs disolve in water.

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
84 posts
177 upvotes
devil2k wrote: I hope they ditch the Japanese packaging or at least translate the product descriptions because I don't think they do in Asia. Some old lady bought some cotton candies thinking they are dish scrubs, and complained that the dish scrubs disolve in water.
It sounds like you never been to their stores in Canada, I have been to the location at Dundas/Bay and all the products have English and well as Japanese on them. What you posted doesn't apply to MUJI stores in Canada.
Watch Enthusiast
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2389 posts
5614 upvotes
LeReRe wrote: It sounds like you never been to their stores in Canada, I have been to the location at Dundas/Bay and all the products have English and well as Japanese on them. What you posted doesn't apply to MUJI stores in Canada.
You're right, I've never been to one in Canada, and since in your post you assumed people aren't familiar with MUJI I mistakenly thought this is their first store in Canada. My bad.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
I think I saw one going into Guildford Mall?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19725 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
LeReRe wrote: It sounds like you never been to their stores in Canada, I have been to the location at Dundas/Bay and all the products have English and well as Japanese on them. What you posted doesn't apply to MUJI stores in Canada.
What? No French?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
Are products made in Japan ?
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
84 posts
177 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote: Are products made in Japan ?
I just checked my recently bought $8.50 file box (which is very thoughtfully and practically designed btw, it is possibly the best file box on the planet, forget about ever buying those black ones at staples, they just cannot compare) and YES it is made in Japan. (Although there is nothing wrong with stuff made in China, you can't compare all the stuff China makes to some of the low quality underpriced stuff they produce).

Watch Enthusiast
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
I hope they bring back the kimono pajamas or restock them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
What is so special about this store? Saw a huge lineup at their opening day at the Metrotown location.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6076 upvotes
Vancouver
jtcb wrote: What is so special about this store? Saw a huge lineup at their opening day at the Metrotown location.
They make simple, humble, high quality products. Many people in Vancouver - myself included - already love the brand because they've been shopping at MUJI stores in Asia/Europe/USA for a loooong time now. I'm kind of glad that they're in Vancouver now, but the products are a bit too expensive here in Canada, especially compared to their stores in Japan.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote: Could you have seen a Uniqlo?

Uniqlo confirms Guildford Town Centre store in Surrey
https://urbanyvr.com/uniqlo-guildford-t ... surrey/amp
No it was definitely not Uniqlo because remember texting my wife a picture of the store logo and how similar it looked to Uniqlo (since factory reset my phone and lost he text). It was either muji or something really similar. Definitely a much smaller space than Uniqlo would take and I'm sure it was described as a small wares store.

I feel like it is in the stretch between the bay and Sears on the west side.
Oct 28, 2017
160 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
1226 wrote: No it was definitely not Uniqlo because remember texting my wife a picture of the store logo and how similar it looked to Uniqlo (since factory reset my phone and lost he text). It was either muji or something really similar. Definitely a much smaller space than Uniqlo would take and I'm sure it was described as a small wares store.

I feel like it is in the stretch between the bay and Sears on the west side.
Miniso
Feb 9, 2013
77 posts
82 upvotes
Victoria
LeReRe wrote: Is there anything wrong with Miniso? I am not familiar with the store.
According to wikipedia, Miniso "has been criticized for being a Chinese retailer that markets itself as Japanese". "It has also been criticized for affixing grammatically incorrect Japanese-language labels to many products, a consequence of using Baidu Translate to produce Japanese language copy, as admitted by Miniso management."
Jul 17, 2007
672 posts
397 upvotes
I was very excited for this store. I had had Muji double soy crackers from Japan and liked them so much I shipped a box of 10 bags through an agency in China. I purchase minimalist home goods from stores like DWR, Modernica, Hay.

The problem with this store is their prices in Canada are wack.

For example. This laundry rack sells in the US store for $90
http://www.muji.us/store/steel-indoor-c ... x90cm.html

With exchange it would be $115 CAD. It sells for $160 or $170 in the Canada store.

Even more outrageous is that it is 6900 yen on their Japan website. Which is $78 CAD

This scrub brush is 1200 yen ($13 CAD) but is $23 in Canada
https://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/detail ... earchno=12

The other disappointment was their bed linens are sized for their own mattress and are not close to the Canadian mattress dimensions.

In my mind they lose their value vs more premium brands. I am not buying Muji over Hay etc. for the same price.

I hope adjust their prices in Canada.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
qinaname wrote: According to wikipedia, Miniso "has been criticized for being a Chinese retailer that markets itself as Japanese". "It has also been criticized for affixing grammatically incorrect Japanese-language labels to many products, a consequence of using Baidu Translate to produce Japanese language copy, as admitted by Miniso management."
The logo, color, and font definitely made me think of Uniqlo. And I was convinced it was Japanese.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
4982 posts
580 upvotes
BC
Metrotown store pretty quiet now after the madness first couple of weeks..
Last edited by thehockeyguy on Nov 19th, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)