Home & Garden

Multi-function Printer keeps on tripping my circuit breaker. What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 10:24 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5739 posts
2706 upvotes
Ancaster

Multi-function Printer keeps on tripping my circuit breaker. What to do?

I purchased a new Brother MFP for use when working from home, but every once in a while, it will trip the circuit breaker when sending a request to print. I checked the circuit breaker and it looks like my home office is on the same circuit as the fridge. Is there anything that can be done outside of hiring an electrician to look into this?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5012 posts
1390 upvotes
Kitchener
I have the same problem with my Brother printer. Ended up plugging it into a UPS and resolved the problem
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1750 posts
835 upvotes
GTA
I have a Brother printer and it blinks my UPS whenever I print as well. Make sure you plug it ONLY on the surge protection side on the UPS, not the battery backup side.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
unshavenyak wrote: Thanks guys. What a pain...
Would also be good to note that your fridge should be on a dedicated circuit.

How old is the house? Is the basement finished? Running a new 20amp line to the fridge might be a decent solution.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5739 posts
2706 upvotes
Ancaster
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Would also be good to note that your fridge should be on a dedicated circuit.

How old is the house? Is the basement finished? Running a new 20amp line to the fridge might be a decent solution.
I think it's about 10 years old and the basement is finished, but the furnace room is roughed-in.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10621 posts
5915 upvotes
Paris
unshavenyak wrote: I think it's about 10 years old and the basement is finished, but the furnace room is roughed-in.
Thats a big yikes as the fridge should have been on its own circuit 10 years ago. Some "no permit" wiring in your house do you think?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5739 posts
2706 upvotes
Ancaster
Jerico wrote: Thats a big yikes as the fridge should have been on its own circuit 10 years ago. Some "no permit" wiring in your house do you think?
To be fair, I haven't confirmed if the fridge is on the same circuit. It's labelled as such on the breaker and I took it at its word. I'll have to confirm later on tonight.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
unshavenyak wrote: To be fair, I haven't confirmed if the fridge is on the same circuit. It's labelled as such on the breaker and I took it at its word. I'll have to confirm later on tonight.
Yeah, I would confirm this first, and then base your decision off of that. If the breaker is popping (due to load), then it could make sense. Also, I've seen very specific devices have issues with AFCI's.

As @Jerico said... its hard to believe that it would have been wired like this from the start.

If your kitchen is above your furnace room, or close to, might not be too big a deal to run a new line to the fridge.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5739 posts
2706 upvotes
Ancaster
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Yeah, I would confirm this first, and then base your decision off of that. If the breaker is popping (due to load), then it could make sense. Also, I've seen very specific devices have issues with AFCI's.

As @Jerico said... its hard to believe that it would have been wired like this from the start.

If your kitchen is above your furnace room, or close to, might not be too big a deal to run a new line to the fridge.
Thanks, it looks like I have some research to do. Home ownership and marriage means there's never a dull day... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1470 posts
512 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it a laser printer? Apparently laser printer can have a pretty high start up surge.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
yes if it has a high current draw at startup you want to look for a hydro circuit that no other appliances are connected to and yes like others have said your fridge/fridgerator should be on its own circuit it should not be shared with other appliances.
Hi