• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 3:56 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
530 posts
245 upvotes

MultiMeter Deal

Hi

I would like to get a multi meter as I am sick and tried of having to borrow one. I will need it (like to check my car battery volts) and then I have to drive to a friends place to get it. I don't use it very often (I think maybe twice a year) and need it for very simple things like checking a car battery.

I see Canadian Tire has one for sale on which is under my $20 budget, just not sure if I should be getting something like that or if I should get one of those you see in aliexpress for like $5

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp
8 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15193 posts
3537 upvotes
Toronto
The Canadian Tire one should be just fine for your purpose. Just keep in mind that these are not as accurate as a Fluke, or Bryman and they can be off by +/- 0.2 volts for a car battery. Also, I would not recommend sticking the leads in the AC outlet to test for LIVE AC voltage as they might not be safe. A Clamp or non-contact meters are better for that purpose.

Once you read up about the meter and watch some youtube videos, you will be surprised how often you will be using a meter to check:

- car batteries (volts to check the battery and Amp to look at the output from your charger)
- household batteries (AA, AAA, 9 Volt, UPS, etc.)
- troubleshooting wiring issues (continuity test)

I still have my Canadian Tire Multimeter that I got about 20 years ago for around $20 to $30. It is not as accurate as my Fluke, but I can use it to do the things I mentioned above.
20200220_190925 (1).jpg
20200220_190936 (1).jpg
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
530 posts
245 upvotes
hightech wrote: The Canadian Tire one should be just fine for your purpose. Just keep in mind that these are not as accurate as a Fluke, or Bryman and they can be off by +/- 0.2 volts for a car battery. Also, I would not recommend sticking the leads in the AC outlet to test for LIVE AC voltage as they might not be safe. A Clamp or non-contact meters are better for that purpose.

Once you read up about the meter and watch some youtube videos, you will be surprised how often you will be using a meter to check:

- car batteries (volts to check the battery and Amp to look at the output from your charger)
- household batteries (AA, AAA, 9 Volt, UPS, etc.)
- troubleshooting wiring issues (continuity test)

I still have my Canadian Tire Multimeter that I got about 20 years ago for around $20 to $30. It is not as accurate as my Fluke, but I can use it to do the things I mentioned above.

20200220_190925 (1).jpg 20200220_190936 (1).jpg
I don't have any plans at this moment to stick it in a socket and test it but how do you know this one is not rated for doing that?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10723 posts
13028 upvotes
Vancouver
This unit and the test leads that come with it will be just fine for testing household AC if you so desire. Just make sure you have the meter on the correct AC voltage setting. I have a unit very similar to this (looks almost identical, paid $15) and have done this many times. I most often use it for testing voltage of coin cells and AA/AAA batteries.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3502 posts
1049 upvotes
Edmonton
jimbob12341 wrote: I don't have any plans at this moment to stick it in a socket and test it but how do you know this one is not rated for doing that?
Dont worry about what he said, it is definitely rated for that and can be used.
What he is referring to for a clamp is an amp clamp for measuring current. He clearly had no idea what he is talking about because you would still need to put the probes into the socket to measure voltage, even with a clamp meter.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
530 posts
245 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Dont worry about what he said, it is definitely rated for that and can be used.
What he is referring to for a clamp is an amp clamp for measuring current. He clearly had no idea what he is talking about because you would still need to put the probes into the socket to measure voltage, even with a clamp meter.
I ended up buying it, still have not even used it yet. I see that Princess Auto is selling one for $10. Not sure if i should the one I got and get that one?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/product ... istributed
multi.PNG
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3502 posts
1049 upvotes
Edmonton
jimbob12341 wrote: I ended up buying it, still have not even used it yet. I see that Princess Auto is selling one for $10. Not sure if i should the one I got and get that one?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/product ... istributed

multi.PNG
Pretty much identical to the mastercraft one.
Both don't have AC amps, just DC
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Sep 16, 2015
391 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary, AB
jimbob12341 wrote: I ended up buying it, still have not even used it yet. I see that Princess Auto is selling one for $10. Not sure if i should the one I got and get that one?
You might be doing too much thinking about a small purchase. They're very similar devices, but I'd be wary of the Princess Auto unit's extremely low cost. It was probably purchased from the manufacturer for $4 or so. That doesn't buy a lot of quality.