2723 upvotes
Ottawa

Multiple office monitors - almost no cables

Hi guys,

Need some recommendations please

-2 or 3, 27-32in monitors
-minimal cable from pc at wall to center of room where desk is
-I don't play games. Only email, construction plans, spreadsheets
-I use lower res, eyes aren't the best though I have glasses. I don't mind spending more on 4k to scale it if I get sharper text?
-height adjustable, not vesa so I can pull it all down quickly if needed. Unless there is an arm that folds up and monitors snap off instantly. Think 3min to disassemble and store away.

I was originally thinking usbc for but balk at $800 monitors.. Are there any cheaper that let you connect two or three monitors and power via usbc? Is it even possible with a normal usbc port or is a specific card type required in pc to push that much power.

Or what display port ones are best value and I would run extension, Velcro under table, and cords up to monitors.
But the display port ones would need to be daisy chain compatible.

I hope this isn't too much of an ask.. I know it's easily doable for a bunch of money.. Lol.. Trying to do this on value.
10 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4182 posts
2723 upvotes
Ottawa
Well.. I can say what not to do... Don't buy a Dell 38in and expect it'll replace two or three monitors.. Just buy 3 monitors.. Ugh.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4907 posts
2138 upvotes
Vancity
Gee wrote: I use 4 LG 27” 4K monitors for my home office

27UL650F

Just get those and you will not regret it
What do you do for work that could take advantage of 4 monitors? I have 2 and it's more than enough for work. For 4 monitors there'd be a ridiculous amount of head movement.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36166 posts
9431 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@recordman

I have three monitors side by side with the forth one sitting on top of the middle monitor

The top monitor I used for Television streaming. I can’t really see it unless I stand up. When I am not watching anything, it is my WebEx screen.
The left monitor has Outlook constantly open. This is my email and Skype screen.
The middle monitor is VPN to the office, when I am not connected, it is my main screen for web browsing
The monitor on the right is another web browser in case I need to compare stuff side by side, or my browser screen when I VPN to the office

Honestly, three is the perfect number. That fourth monitor is not practical unless you move your head to see it. I found sitting it on top of the middle monitor the best setup but I have to look up to see anything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4182 posts
2723 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: I use 4 LG 27” 4K monitors for my home office

27UL650F

Just get those and you will not regret it
600 each, no usbc, or multi monitor support, so you're basically putting out 3 HDMI or dp cables and 3 power cables to the monitors.

Was hoping for something cleaner.

Also prefer ports not horizontal like. That but vertical like the Dell and some others.

Debating keeping the 38 and adding two 27s or similar or send back the 38 and get 3x27s like I have at the office.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36166 posts
9431 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
shylok wrote: 600 each, no usbc, or multi monitor support, so you're basically putting out 3 HDMI or dp cables and 3 power cables to the monitors.
4 power cables and 4 Display Port powered by an nVidia Quadro 620

I selected these monitors because they are 4K and I do a lot of spreadsheets

I don’t like mixed monitor sizes, especially if they have different resolutions. I think you’re better off with 3 x 27”
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14589 upvotes
recordman wrote: What do you do for work that could take advantage of 4 monitors? I have 2 and it's more than enough for work. For 4 monitors there'd be a ridiculous amount of head movement.
*Laughs in monitor wall*

I bought 13 U2312HMs back in the day and am still using most of them, including 6 on a single workstation.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4182 posts
2723 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: *Laughs in monitor wall*

I bought 13 U2312HMs back in the day and am still using most of them, including 6 on a single workstation.
First thought was that scene from swordfish with all the monitors.. Then it was jumbotron for pron.. Lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14589 upvotes
shylok wrote: First thought was that scene from swordfish with all the monitors..
I was curious and had a look. That's totally more for movies than productivity.

This would be far more functional:

Source: That's one segment of what I have.
Then it was jumbotron for pron.. Lol.
VR is where it's at now.
Although I have projected it onto a 120" screen before but that's only really useful if you're into giantess.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 23, 2010
451 posts
229 upvotes
Montreal
I think 2 is enough and 3 will be plenty, usually, I connect it with HDMIs, works like shine!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)