• May 29th, 2019 12:47 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA

multiple punctured tires by multiple screws... and bent rear trailing arms

Hi guys,

Just want some opinion on what could have happened and I must have some real enemies!

Yesterday, when I was heading out for lunch at work, driver side rear tire alarm went off. After I checked tire pressure at a nearby gas station, I found that the tire has no pressure at all. I got run flat tires so I was able to drive with no issues. After filling up the tire again, I went to a nearby dealer right away to see if I could get it fixed. My car is a new car with about 3 months into the lease and I have tire warranty. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have the tire in stock and I will have to wait until next Wednesday to get it fix. I needed the car for this weekend so they helped me find another dealer that has the tire. So I booked the appointment and took my car in this morning.

To my surprise, after inspection, both rear tires got multiple screws in them and front tire on the passenger side also has a screw, though the tire is not punctured. Dealer also found that both rear trailing arms were bent. Service manager told me that it seems that somebody jacked up the car by the rear arms and put the screw in. Not sure how this would happened as other than my house and work, I only made short stops here and there in the last few days. I parked in the garage when I am home. Therefore the only possible location that this would happen is at work. I went back to the parking lot where I work and found that there is a security camera pointing to the direction of where I parked on Friday morning. Interestingly, from just the look of it, the camera seems only able to capture the area where the front driver wheel is and there is no screw in that tire at all!

I am going to ask HR to help me check out the camera footage on Tuesday but in the meantime, it is really hard for me to think this could happen at work. I have worked there for 10 years and have not heard anything like this has happened.

So what do you think could happened to the rear arms? Could this be done really fast?
Images
  • tire.jpg
  • trailing arm.jpg
  • trailing arm2.jpg
66 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28486 posts
13818 upvotes
Toronto
Can’t comment on the bent trailing arm damage. That’s a mystery to me.

For the multiple screws, Are there any road or building / site construction going on with your typical daily drive route ?

I once suffered 5 flats within just 1 year on my daily drive route, as the result of construction activities
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: Can’t comment on the bent trailing arm damage. That’s a mystery to me.

For the multiple Drew’s, Are there any road or building / site construction going on with your typical daily drive route ?
I drive along hwy 7 between Weston and Islington and there has been construction going on for more than a year. Let's hope that is the case and not someone did it to me on purpose.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1003 posts
401 upvotes
Doesn’t look like the damage is done by a jack.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
That looks like it could be pothole damage
Mar 9, 2014
923 posts
551 upvotes
Ottawa
booblehead wrote: I once suffered 5 flats within just 1 year on my daily drive route, as the result of construction activities
I had the same string of bad luck a few years ago. You’d be surprised how easy it is to pick up stuff with all the construction around
Mar 17, 2006
582 posts
295 upvotes
"Service manager told me that it seems that somebody jacked up the car by the rear arms and put the screw in" This service manager spends too much time next to the exhaust inhaling fumes it seems. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. So this vandal is driving around with a jack, screws, and a drill. He takes the time to jack up a car to neatly put a screw in when he can just stick it into the sidewall for some real damage. Better yet, key the car to leave a real lasting impression. OP your just being paranoid (and very unlucky)
Those trailer arms look like they were bent by hitting a curb (like backing out of a driveway and hopping the sidewalk, or vice versa) Are you the only one driving this car?
Last edited by ur_too_crazy on May 18th, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5583 posts
3871 upvotes
kkkat wrote: Doesn’t look like the damage is done by a jack.
+1 I wonder how a jack can do this kind of damages...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14236 posts
3990 upvotes
Montréal
ur_too_crazy wrote: "Service manager told me that it seems that somebody jacked up the car by the rear arms and put the screw in" This service manager spends too much time next to the exhaust inhaling fumes it seems. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. So this vandal is driving around with a jack, screws, and a drill. He takes the time to jack up a car to neatly put a screw in when he can just stick it into the sidewall for some real damage. Better yet, key the car to leave a real lasting impression. OP your just being paranoid (and very unlucky)
Those trailer arms look like they were bent by hitting a curb (like backing out of a driveway and hopping the sidewalk, or vice versa) Are you the only one driving this car?
+1 for giving me a good chuckle haha.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15628 posts
16773 upvotes
Oakville
OP, are you the only driver of this car?
Have you run over anything at speed?
Do you have larger or closeups of the damaged arms?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: OP, are you the only driver of this car?
Have you run over anything at speed?
Do you have larger or closeups of the damaged arms?
No my wife drives it from time to time.

Don't recall running over anything except potholes. Those manholes north bound between finch and hwy7 on 427 are the bad ones I encountered last week.

Here are the larger files I have.
Images
  • 2BE017FD-07B7-4CF5-8397-0C1BD148CBE1.jpeg
  • CBB7305C-ACE2-4D6A-9945-3B4C5F48B4E6.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5365 posts
2443 upvotes
gulfstream
nioero wrote: No my wife drives it from time to time.

Don't recall running over anything except potholes. Those manholes north bound between finch and hwy7 on 427 are the bad ones I encountered last week.

Here are the larger files I have.
are you sure those kinks are new?..did you buy the car new?..they may have always been there, only just noticed now...those may have been done by the transportation carrier on delivery to dealership..some still use old chains and hooks and that could be the cause...I only say this as there are 2 of them and improperly hooking to that spot on both side could have caused what we see
Jul 27, 2006
974 posts
637 upvotes
Moncton
That type of control arm damage could only occur from something pushing up on the arm from below (improper jacking or hitting something), or from compression if the rear wheels were forced towards the front of the car with a great deal of force. You wouldn't get that from potholes unless you reversed into them at a pretty good speed. However, I don't see any signs of scratching that would definitely occur if you hit something like a curb. That is a mystery, but I highly doubt anyone would have jacked your car to sabotage your tires with screws.

My guess is a mechanic at the dealership lifted your car by the control arms and probably realized what he did but doesn't want to admit it.
Last edited by oIIIIIo on May 19th, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
cardguy wrote: are you sure those kinks are new?..did you buy the car new?..they may have always been there, only just noticed now...those may have been done by the transportation carrier on delivery to dealership..some still use old chains and hooks and that could be the cause...I only say this as there are 2 of them and improperly hooking to that spot on both side could have caused what we see
This is what I suspect as well. They could be there when I first got the car and I am 3 months into this lease.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
oIIIIIo wrote: That type of control arm damage could only occur from something pushing up on the arm from below (improper jacking or hitting something), or from compression if the rear wheels were forced towards the front of the car with a great deal of force. You wouldn't get that from potholes unless you reversed into them at a pretty good speed. However, I don't see any signs of scratching that would definitely occur if you hit something like a curb. That is a mystery, but I highly doubt anyone would have jacked your car to sabotage your tires with screws.

My guess is a mechanic at the dealership lifted your car by the control arms and probably realized what he did but doesn't want to admit it.
Agree with your points but hard for me to proof mechanic’s wrong doing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8939 posts
10113 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
ur_too_crazy wrote: "Service manager told me that it seems that somebody jacked up the car by the rear arms and put the screw in" This service manager spends too much time next to the exhaust inhaling fumes it seems. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. So this vandal is driving around with a jack, screws, and a drill. He takes the time to jack up a car to neatly put a screw in when he can just stick it into the sidewall for some real damage. Better yet, key the car to leave a real lasting impression. OP your just being paranoid (and very unlucky)
I think that service manager is an RFD regular. Going by some threads over the years.