Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 8, 2015
93 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Murale by SDM sold expired skincare product

[UPDATE] So I went back to Murale with the receipt. After talking to Murale's manager, she said she could do an exchange. And since they don't carry this product any more, I bought another lotion and paid the difference. I will definitely check expire date more carefully next time. Thanks everyone here.

-----------Original Post-------------
I bought a Clarins lotion last year in Murale and it was already expired when I bought it. And what's worse, Murale seems to be cheating on the expiry date.

So in Nov 2015, I bought this product. I found out today there's a sticker under the bottle, covering the printed "expired on April 2015".
On the sticker there's another date says "April 2016".

I just called Murale and the girl said a returnd could not be guaranteed because it exceeds the 30 days policy.

Anyone came across this kind of situation before?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8145 posts
1804 upvotes
Havent notice, though expiry dates are usually not stickers. They are printed right on the bottle. Be more aware next time
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13629 posts
2392 upvotes
City of Vancouver
danying wrote: ...Murale seems to be cheating on the expiry date...there's a sticker under the bottle, covering the printed "expired on April 2015".
On the sticker there's another date says "April 2016"...
How do you know Murale put the sticker on? Does Clarins use stickers, or do they have no manufacturer's expiry dates?
[OP]
Oct 8, 2015
93 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EPcjay wrote: Havent notice, though expiry dates are usually not stickers. They are printed right on the bottle. Be more aware next time
Added a pic. Yeah last night I was checking expiry of all my skincare products, which I normally don't do. And I was like: this sticker looks sketchy. I didn't expect another expiry date before I took it off.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2015
93 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Becks wrote: How do you know Murale put the sticker on? Does Clarins use stickers, or do they have no manufacturer's expiry dates?
You are right. Maybe it's Clarins not Murale. Added a pic. The printed expiry date was fully covered by the sticker before.

I almost finish the bottle and that makes me feel uncomfortable. lol
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19110 posts
7186 upvotes
Toronto
Most likely the store put that sticker on. As I don't see the manufacturer putting that stick on and the retailers accepting it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13629 posts
2392 upvotes
City of Vancouver
carmaster wrote: Most likely the store put that sticker on. As I don't see the manufacturer putting that stick on and the retailers accepting it.
So, u think SDM has blank stickers and printed off a batch of new expiry dates somewhere, perhaps at the warehouse or something? And, the same identical stickers are on other brands of cosmetics? I think that is unlikely.

On a sidenote, does the OP ever put cosmetics in the fridge? I do this for some items because I'm guessing it'll help preserve them better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9143 posts
2770 upvotes
London
Meh, the company probably did some tests in their lab, and re-certified the product with a longer shelf life, or the wrong date was printed on the bottle at the time of packaging.
Apr 1, 2004
414 posts
249 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Ottomaddox wrote: Meh, the company probably did some tests in their lab, and re-certified the product with a longer shelf life, or the wrong date was printed on the bottle at the time of packaging.
most likely it's clarins who did that
it's not uncommon to have the company change parts of the label using those opaque stickers (see those black marks all the time, blacked out ingredients etc) though it is kinda rare for expiry date

if you feel uncomfortable using it... do u still have ur receipt? go in to Murale and see what they are willing to do for u
(eg store credit, new bottle)

another option is to call clarins and ask, looks like the lot # is still there
Oct 26, 2010
916 posts
1306 upvotes
I agree that you should bring it up to both clarins and murale and see what they say!

It's really unethical to do so and I bet they will replace it for you (even if you have finished it :P )

And as you said, it was expired BEFORE you bought it, so it makes the case even worse.

Update us what happen after
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3544 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
danying wrote: You are right. Maybe it's Clarins not Murale. Added a pic. The printed expiry date was fully covered by the sticker before.

I almost finish the bottle and that makes me feel uncomfortable. lol
Since you have almost finished the bottle of lotion (without suffering any unusual breakouts from what you have posted), I expect that you are okay in this instance.

Skin care products that are sold at many warehouse sales often have only 6 months shelf life before their expiry dates. I can't buy skin care at warehouse sales for this reason. However, many people can and are able to use them.

However, many people do buy multiple products at warehouse sales and then try and exchange the products at Holt's, Hudson's Bay, SDM, Murale etc. for other products - stating that the products did not work for them or that they are allergic. I am not suggesting that you fall into this category, but it is very possible that the bottle of Clarins that you purchased was one that slipped by the sales clerk at Murale.

The same story applies to many of the lotions/creams sold at Winners/Marshalls and on e-Bay. I do not buy from any other source than a "real" store and usually from the same people who frankly have been amazed at how quickly my skin will react or a colour will change on me. I have seen products (very expensive ones - think Cle de Peau) being sold at Winners for $200 that I know for a fact have not been in that packaging for several years (brought in from the U.S. apparently).

Some people are able to use anything on their skin - I am not one of them. I am a serious date checker because I have to be. I also keep a back-up of everything I use just in case - and usually my just in case is needed. I also double-check each time I need to replace a product that nothing has changed. So far I am not doing well since with today's emphasis on serious actives/botanicals/natural products I am at a serious disadvantage since I am unable to use most of them. Yet I appear to have "good" skin, which is kind of a joke.

Murale is not doing too well if the news reports are to be believed, especially with the Beauty Boutiques now in so many SDM stores. I just wish that SDM carried my main skin care products - other than a couple that I can use (of course they are the most expensive ones).

I tried Clarins once many years ago - good product if you can use it. You should have seen me!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29363 posts
9947 upvotes
LOL expired skin care products. Oh noes! Sound the alarms, rally the lawyers, this is madness! :lol:

Seriously there had to be a thread posted about this? If there was no date posted on the thing, this wouldn't even be an issue. And believe me there are many a skin care products that have no such thing on them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8145 posts
1804 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL expired skin care products. Oh noes! Sound the alarms, rally the lawyers, this is madness! :lol:

Seriously there had to be a thread posted about this? If there was no date posted on the thing, this wouldn't even be an issue. And believe me there are many a skin care products that have no such thing on them.
If I remember correctly, only SPF products, or SPF supplemented products have expiry dates. Everything else is just a date to get you to re-buy the product again
[OP]
Oct 8, 2015
93 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EPcjay wrote: If I remember correctly, only SPF products, or SPF supplemented products have expiry dates. Everything else is just a date to get you to re-buy the product again
Yes it was a day lotion with SPF.
Seems that product with spf will have more active ingredients, which makes them easier to be expired.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8145 posts
1804 upvotes
danying wrote: Yes it was a day lotion with SPF.
Seems that product with spf will have more active ingredients, which makes them easier to be expired.
Good ending Amazing you still had the reciept. I would've thew mine out a month after.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29363 posts
9947 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: If I remember correctly, only SPF products, or SPF supplemented products have expiry dates. Everything else is just a date to get you to re-buy the product again
Yeah and there's lots of testing (and medical doctors) that will testify to the fact that the expiry dates on sunblock are ridiculously conservative (i.e. just to get you to buy more/more often). They're good for years after the date. Go on youtube (and google) and check it out for yourself.

People that take these expiry dates on skin lotions seriously make me laugh. They're just as funny as the dates themselves.