• Mar 18th, 2009 5:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

[Costco] Mussels - 5 lb for 7.99 @ Costco East

I was at Costco this evening and they had 5 lb bags of PEI mussels for 7.99.

Edit: Fresh, not frozen.

This was at Mississauga Heartland Costco, not sure if it is at other Costcos.
Edit: Confirmed in Moncton and Ottawa

For comparison, I went to Loblaws and they had similar sized mussles $0.66 / 100g. A 5lb amount would cost $14.97.
- casual gastronomist -
20 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
shutterbug wrote: Fresh? Frozen?
Fresh. I just cooked a bunch of them and they were really tasty.

However I think a higher than average number had broken shells. But still overall it's a deal IMO.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13263 posts
4106 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
Coscto occasionally holds a seafood booth in the meat section and their mussels are always a better deal than another stores like T&T & RCSS...i believe Costco (W) usually sell them at $12 for 5 pounds, even thou they are fresh, i don't see how they can be out of water for so long thou...are the shells tightly closed?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
BestOffer wrote: Coscto occasionally holds a seafood booth in the meat section and their mussels are always a better deal than another stores like T&T & RCSS...i believe RCSS (W) usually sell them at $12 for 5 pounds, even thou they are fresh, i don't see how they can be out of water for so long thou...are the shells tightly closed?
Most of the shells were tightly closed. I'd say these have a somewhat higher defect rate than regular mussels, maybe 1 in 6 were slightly open or cracked. But most of them had tightly closed shells (until I cooked them.)
- casual gastronomist -
Nov 12, 2005
252 posts
28 upvotes
North York
Costco has their Seafood "festival/extravaganza" on every month. They usually post the dates they are having them right above the fresh meat section.
I p/u a bag almost every month (picked up a bag yesterday) (high in B12). They are the freshest around/cheapest as well. They take about 1/2 hour to clean the beards off and there is only about 2 to 3 that don't open when you cook them at most.
Really the best mussels you can get in the GTA for that price!
Today is the last of their three day "extravaganza".
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2086 posts
797 upvotes
darn, too bad this price is not avail. in the west.. we pay that much for 1 lb
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13263 posts
4106 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
jon604 wrote: darn, too bad this price is not avail. in the west.. we pay that much for 1 lb
$4 per pound @ T&T and if Costco hosts the seafood fest, then is $15 (or less) for 5 lbs.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
31 upvotes
Has anyone seen this deal @ Ottawa locations? TIA
Jul 19, 2006
689 posts
93 upvotes
Mussels regularly go for $2/lb. E.g. this week at Sobeys. So if you don't want 5 lbs, you can pick up a 2lb bag for $4.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2741 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Costco doesn't usually carry fresh mussells in a bag for some time now.

They only bring them in for a promo ,special event,etc. Seems some unlucky members in the past had their bag of mussells literally blow up due to whatever.
....maybe poor storage on the buyers part, rancid mussells in the bag,etc,etc
?

If the shell is closed before cooking ,GREAT. :razz:

If the shell is closed after cooking, NOT GREAT :mad:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
auto-m8 wrote: Seems some unlucky members in the past had their bag of mussells literally blow up due to whatever.
Decomposition of dead mussels would result in gasses building up. Poor storage would accelerate this process. This has also happened with an entire whale in Taiwan.
- casual gastronomist -
Jan 7, 2005
313 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Jucius Maximus wrote: Fresh. I just cooked a bunch of them and they were really tasty.

However I think a higher than average number had broken shells. But still overall it's a deal IMO.
I hope you threw out the broken shelled ones and then when you boil them, if the shell doesn't open, then don't try to pry it and eat them. I am not a mussel conesseur but I am sure you've heard that already.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
2141 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I picked up a bag in Moncton's Costco. There was enough in the bag to serve six people during a gaming night!
Pepsi: First a XBox360, then a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV, then a Sony Ericsson W300i, then a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV, then a ...

Coke: What!? This isn't a $2249 Dell Inspiron 6000! It's an entry level $899 laptop! But hey, thanks for the two Nintendo Wii's!
Jun 26, 2005
37 posts
Picked up today at Costco in Ottawa Location.
Amazing price !! Thanks OP :lol:

QuadESL63 wrote: Has anyone seen this deal @ Ottawa locations? TIA
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
billybee wrote: I hope you threw out the broken shelled ones and then when you boil them, if the shell doesn't open, then don't try to pry it and eat them. I am not a mussel conesseur but I am sure you've heard that already.
Yeah I got rid of the ones with chipped shells and ones that were open before cooking.

Still haven't gotten any that were closed after cooking.

I've eaten mussels for dinner three times now and will do it again at least 2 times... the joys of living alone... :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 15, 2007
30 posts
QuadESL63 wrote: Has anyone seen this deal @ Ottawa locations? TIA
Yup.
Fairly good size, didn't notice much broken shells. I usually get mine from Farm Boy, but they can't beat Costco's price and quality.
Nov 12, 2005
252 posts
28 upvotes
North York
Looking forward to their next Seafood Road Show next month!
I just steamed mine a few days ago using Chef Ramsay's recipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVp5R_VcEo
Only three mussels didn't open and about 2 were cracked.
Really great quality mussels for a great price!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
Jucius Maximus wrote: Decomposition of dead mussels would result in gasses building up. Poor storage would accelerate this process. This has also happened with an entire whale in Taiwan.
Weird!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2857 posts
160 upvotes
They are usually reg. priced at $5 for a 5 lb bag near me . I guess living near the source makes a big difference .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)