• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2022 1:13 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2007
133 posts
9 upvotes

My 2014 Honda CRV uses too much gas?

Hello,
Ever since I bought my brand new honda CRV (LX AWD) in 2014, I have been really curious about the fuel consumption. I do not think it is normally so I am looking for your input:
I live in Vancouver and I know the roads can be a bit hilly, but again I do not drive like a 20 year old and I am very easy on the gas peddle. My average has been in the 12.3 L/100KM range city & highway combined... The number that Honda published on their site was around 9.2L/100KM combined driving... Did I get a Lemon? Why is my car consuming so much gas? Anyone in the Vancouver area has similar numbers?
Thanks for your input.
Cheers!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4825 posts
4516 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What's your ratio of City/Highway driving? EPA is 55% City, 45% Highway.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1385 upvotes
A relative has a 2016, which is basically the same vehicle with slight cosmetic differences. It takes a crazy hit to fuel consumption when its cold and windy. Doing a relatively normal 100km/hr on the highway I was astonished to see it was only getting 13L/100km. In the summer, he claimed he did a 250km trip at 7L/100km.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2007
133 posts
9 upvotes
I understand the temperature makes difference, but Vancouver is not even that cold. . For the 250km that averaged 7L/100km, was that all highway driving? TIA
burnt69 wrote: A relative has a 2016, which is basically the same vehicle with slight cosmetic differences. It takes a crazy hit to fuel consumption when its cold and windy. Doing a relatively normal 100km/hr on the highway I was astonished to see it was only getting 13L/100km. In the summer, he claimed he did a 250km trip at 7L/100km.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1385 upvotes
board_salomon wrote: I understand the temperature makes difference, but Vancouver is not even that cold. . For the 250km that averaged 7L/100km, was that all highway driving? TIA
Yup, all highways, flat land. So the CRV is definitely capable of good fuel efficiency if the conditions are right. Its just when things get cold or it has to fight a bad wind...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
860 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If you're doing city driving, stop & go, in commuter traffic a lot, then your fuel consumption is possibly right where it should be. You may be on the highway, but you could be in stop & go traffic. That's a gas killer.
When dealers advertise numbers, they are calculated under ideal situations and are almost always optimistic.

There are issues that will affect your consumption other than the type of traffic conditions you experience:
Tire pressure. This is critical. Check it often.
Air filter. How often is it changed? Has it ever been changed?
Brakes. Do you ride the brakes when in traffic? I've seen cars with their brake lights on all the time. Chances are the driver has one foot resting on the brake pedal.
Do you warm up your car for long periods?

So there are lots of things affecting your gas usage, but traffic conditions are the biggest.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2173 posts
1652 upvotes
air filter, pcv, fuel filter, injector cleaning, spark plugs, tire pressure
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
board_salomon wrote: Hello,
Ever since I bought my brand new honda CRV (LX AWD) in 2014, I have been really curious about the fuel consumption. I do not think it is normally so I am looking for your input:
I live in Vancouver and I know the roads can be a bit hilly, but again I do not drive like a 20 year old and I am very easy on the gas peddle. My average has been in the 12.3 L/100KM range city & highway combined... The number that Honda published on their site was around 9.2L/100KM combined driving... Did I get a Lemon? Why is my car consuming so much gas? Anyone in the Vancouver area has similar numbers?
Thanks for your input.
Cheers!
Have you done all required maintenance?
Have you done all extra recommended maintenance not in manual?
How many KM on your vehicle?
How many times have you changed the brake pads/rotors?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4547 posts
4772 upvotes
GTA
Has the fuel economy always been at 12L/100km? Or did it just recently get worse?

But if it's a lot of stop-and-go traffic in the city, that number doesn't seem unreasonable.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2007
133 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks for the great info each of you have provided! I will start paying attention to all the items you have mentioned and hopefully I will be able to identify what has caused the poor fuel consumption...
Cheers!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2583 posts
598 upvotes
eclone wrote: air filter, pcv, fuel filter, injector cleaning, spark plugs, tire pressure
This. I recently noticed a drop in fuel economy in my car. I checked the engine air filter housing (even though I've replaced the filter a few months ago) and there were a few large leaves in there. Economy went back to normal right away.
Nobody ever upvote me again. I have 500 upvotes and that is the PERFECT number. Don't hit that button. I know it's tempting given my high quality posts on RedFlagDeals.com, the best page on the Internet since 1998 - but please don't hit that button.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
eclone wrote: air filter, pcv, fuel filter, injector cleaning, spark plugs, tire pressure
+1
Feb 10, 2022
1 posts
Did you ever fix the mileage? Our new to us 2014 is 13.8/100.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7174 posts
3635 upvotes
West GTEH!
AWD Vehicles never get good Fuel Economy. (i.e. Subaru)

My Mechanic had a 2011 CR-V AWD and he said Fuel Economy was terrible. It was a Gas Hog (his words)
😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)