Home & Garden

My 2018 Whole House Six Stage water conditioning & filtration system complete - with interesting results

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 1:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1929 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, ON

My 2018 Whole House Six Stage water conditioning & filtration system complete - with interesting results

Continuation from this thread - just-installed-german-salt-free-water-c ... r-2163708/

After the arrival of my second boy (now six months old) that develops redness after bathing, I’ve determined to upgrade the water filtration system in the house to provide the best quality water for consumption and use. After some research, the following filtration pathways are deployed:

City Water -> 90 Micron Sediment Filter -> 5 micron 3M Whole House filter with carbon block -> BWT Water Conditioner -> Crystal Water Conditioner -> Bathroom and Shower

Two additional filters are installed in the kitchen

3M 0.2 Micron filter + carbon block -> BWT Five Stage water filter & Conditioner -> Cooking and beverage

Initially, I thought the salesman at Home Comfort Center wanted to upsell me on some “useless” large micron sediment filter because I figured with Canada’s world-class water, how can there be large particles floating around in potable water supply. And boy I was wrong, the picture below shows the amount of particles this filter trapped after 3 weeks of use:

No idea what those are but most likely rust, sand, or other impurities in the water supply system. Next stage is the 5 micron whole house filter with carbon block:

The filtered water then goes into the BWT Water conditioner to reduce limescale buildup:
Image Image

Finally, the treated water goes into a crystal water conditioner that consists of amethyst, rose quartz and rock crystal to stabilize the PH and other properties:

I have two sinks in the kitchen, so one is dedicated to drinking and cooking water and two additional filters are installed:
Image Image

The last filter, the BWT Bestmax is the most unique filter I've seen in a while, with an adjustable bypass setting, I can change the PH of my water from 5.5 to 8.5, and a TDS from 5 to 150. This filter also removes the excess calcium minerals in the water and replace them with highly beneficial magnesium minerals that dramatically enhances the flavor or tea, coffee and cooking. Right now, I have the filter set to produce water with PH of 7 and TDS of 80 which is the optimal settings for best tasting coffee and tea.

I've seen a huge improvement in my overall water quality and all the skin irritation is gone, the water has a very slight "sweet" spring water characteristic. The two additional kitchen filter made a huge different in my coffee brewing and I can finally stop relying on bottled water to brew my exotic blue mountain, kona and Yauco beans. My wife is big into soup and bone broths and visually the soup looks richer and milkier than before because increase magnesium content in the water helps with extraction.

All these comes in under $5000 which is far cheaper than some salt-based system with RO unit.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6061 posts
1554 upvotes
That's an interesting and very over the top system, especially the BWT "lime reducer" and crystal filter.

It's normal to have large particles in the water system because parts of it are probably 100 years old, depending on where you live. The pipes from the treatment plant to your house may be made of: lead, clay, PVC, cement, or some other materials. In a large old city, it's not unheard of for buildup to accumulate and then flake off.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1929 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rf134a wrote: That's an interesting and very over the top system, especially the BWT "lime reducer" and crystal filter.

It's normal to have large particles in the water system because parts of it are probably 100 years old, depending on where you live. The pipes from the treatment plant to your house may be made of: lead, clay, PVC, cement, or some other materials. In a large old city, it's not unheard of for buildup to accumulate and then flake off.
The BWT limescale reducer eliminates the need of a salt based softener system because it alters the properties of the dissolved minerals to prevent them from accumulating on surfaces. The crystal filter is more of a water conditioner that stabilizes the PH and minerals in the water to make it more spring water like. Without the first stage sediment filter, the other finer filters down the line will get clogged up much quicker.

I live in markham and the water supply comes from lake ontario - so quite a bit of a distance to travel.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage