• Jan 20th, 2022 1:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes

My bsmt bathroom smells bad!

Hi folks,

Just moved to a new house and notice that my basement bathroom stinks. I’ve taken shower there few times and turned on all the water to flush anything out, however the smell goes away briefly and come back in question of minutes.

I just noticed that their is a branched pipe comungo from the sink to the shower drain and I believe that is the issue. Since it’s above the shower trap, I believe it gets dry easily since it’s a 1” pipe and when the water comes from the sink isn’t much.

How can I solve this smell issue? Do I need to redo the plumbing?
Tried a few ways to unclog it, wash, being some nice smell but it doesn’t work. I believe there is biofilm or any dirty from the sink through the branch pipe that can’t mostly be cleaned.

Any recommendation?

Thanks
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12620 posts
4229 upvotes
Ontario
Post some photos of the pipes.
is it possible there is no P trap which is allowing the sewer gasses/smell to come back up?
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
Its P-Trap seems to be deep enough so I couldn’t take any better pictures however there is water in.

I’ve dumped those Green Globber cleaning products on the sink, I could see a pontos gunks coming out through the shower drain. I will try it again tomorrow and hopefully it will improve but today smell is still too strong.
Images
  • 8279422F-4CF6-45E5-8AE5-7873045A4C0F.jpeg
  • 4E3C1320-89EA-4588-930A-B7F6A5746728.jpeg
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1754 posts
748 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ldovale wrote: Its P-Trap seems to be deep enough so I couldn’t take any better pictures however there is water in.

I’ve dumped those Green Globber cleaning products on the sink, I could see a pontos gunks coming out through the shower drain. I will try it again tomorrow and hopefully it will improve but today smell is still too strong.
Does it have a P-trap under the sink? a sharp bend in the black pipe...
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
Yea it does as well. So there are 2 P-traps one under the sink and one in the shower drain.

Just moved to this house so must there be either an issue that was well hidden or just clogged pipes. I will to clean it again overnight.
Hopefully it works but my concern is the branched pipe as it’s long around 4metres and This may be the issue. Not sure…
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1821 posts
415 upvotes
Is there a clean out under the flooring in your bathroom? Check and make sure the cap is on correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7444 posts
7891 upvotes
do you use that sink and shower often? P-trap, if there is any, may have dried out?
Nov 27, 2020
219 posts
478 upvotes
Could be ghosts. Have a priest use your toilet. Should do the trick.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1552 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe not ptrap issues and just dirty drains from build up of organic materials and soap in the crevices. I have a linear shower drain like yours and if I don’t clean the drain well it will stink. Yours looks well soiled.

Try pouring bleach down the sink drink and and let it sit for 10-15 min then flush well - if you have any brush to fit in there even better. Soak the shower drain with bleach and make sure you scrub all the crevices.

If you want to use other disinfectants make sure you follow label instructions (e.g soak for 10 min) to fully disinfect.
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
deals4realz wrote: Could be ghosts. Have a priest use your toilet. Should do the trick.
I’m a preacher and have rebuked all types of demons, specially in the first time that I entered in this house. If you need help or see something let me know I can help you.
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
bst wrote: Maybe not ptrap issues and just dirty drains from build up of organic materials and soap in the crevices. I have a linear shower drain like yours and if I don’t clean the drain well it will stink. Yours looks well soiled.

Try pouring bleach down the sink drink and and let it sit for 10-15 min then flush well - if you have any brush to fit in there even better. Soak the shower drain with bleach and make sure you scrub all the crevices.

If you want to use other disinfectants make sure you follow label instructions (e.g soak for 10 min) to fully disinfect.
Got idea to clean it with a brush. I think the issue is build ups. I’ve poured out some chemicals already. Will try again. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9562 posts
7204 upvotes
Kootenays
ldovale wrote: Got idea to clean it with a brush. I think the issue is build ups. I’ve poured out some chemicals already. Will try again. Thanks.
If you've already used some chemicals, be very thorough in rinsing before you use any bleach products. Mixing can produce deadly fumes.
[OP]
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
My problem I believe is the sink pipe that is connected to the shower drain before the shower P-Trap.
I’m not sure if this is according to the code or not, just bought this house that the previous owner did make it up during my visits.

I can feel the bad smell right after I’ve tried to clean the sink drain with vinegar and baking soda.
I’ve bought a gas trap for the shower drain, waiting to arrive this week to see if will work but this plumbing issue is annoying.
Images
  • FD4FA37B-54B3-47EE-9EAF-23EF5443D667.jpeg
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1214 posts
434 upvotes
i think you should post this in the 'ask me about plumbing' thread - you may get some better feedback.

also, pictures of drain pipes by themselves are not that helpful. A diagram of your drain pipe setup (shower and sink) and your plumbing stack might be more helfpul - if you can tell.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12620 posts
4229 upvotes
Ontario
Hard to tell but if you are able to scrape off that black stuff on the sides that would be giving off a bad smell for sure. Using the baking soda may take ab it of it off but not all of it so then it smells more. Scrape it off and get it super clean & see if that helps. If it does the nyou know that was the issue and then you can look into why its happening. Pipes may not be setup correctly which allows water to sit in areas where it should not.

ldovale wrote: My problem I believe is the sink pipe that is connected to the shower drain before the shower P-Trap.
I’m not sure if this is according to the code or not, just bought this house that the previous owner did make it up during my visits.

I can feel the bad smell right after I’ve tried to clean the sink drain with vinegar and baking soda.
I’ve bought a gas trap for the shower drain, waiting to arrive this week to see if will work but this plumbing issue is annoying.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4690 posts
2597 upvotes
If your bathroom sink has an overflow a lot of funky stuff can start to build up in there and you might have to clean that out.