• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2020 10:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Dec 3, 2019
1 posts

My cat caught a bat

My cat caught a bat while sitting on the windowsill. We had to grab it from her claws and release. We live on the 9th floor. Maybe the flying horror just missed and got in by itself.
Any cases like this?
Share:
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5657 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Rabies vaccination, and quick. If she already hasn't had them.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25346 posts
4456 upvotes
OP is gone, but for anyone else reading, if you ever come into contact with a bat, go see your doctor ASAP. Even if you don't think there is any broken skin, I would recommend going to see your doctor. People have died before from contracting rabies from a bat, even though they weren't aware their skin had been broken.

It sucks, I've had to do it due to a stray cat bite. It's a lot of needles, but rabies can't be cured once symptoms start
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14239 posts
4000 upvotes
Montréal
TX for the advice everyone. Didn't know even if it doesn't seem like it the skin may still be broken. Sad for that guy. :(
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9491 posts
1815 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I clicked on this thread expecting to read the rest of the poem.
Exactly. thought it was the latest Dr Seuss Cat in the Hat series.
Drats.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9959 posts
1966 upvotes
Victoria
thriftshopper wrote: Rabies vaccination, and quick. If she already hasn't had them.
Do vaccinations work after the fact? My biology knowledge is sketchy at best, but vaccines help you create antibodies to be immune viruses. If you catch something, isn't taking a vaccine after kind of moot?

It's also awesome that the cat caught a bat.. badass!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20891 posts
3068 upvotes
Niagara Falls
OP, call your health department. They will help you out. Bats have a very high rate of rabies. Sounds like your cat is an indoor cat so that's good, keep an eye on it to make sure it's behaviour doesn't start to change.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5657 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Probably not but a vaccination very soon after exposure may help.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6429 posts
1222 upvotes
zod wrote: Do vaccinations work after the fact? My biology knowledge is sketchy at best, but vaccines help you create antibodies to be immune viruses. If you catch something, isn't taking a vaccine after kind of moot?

It's also awesome that the cat caught a bat.. badass!
They administer RIG (rabies immune globulin) with the first dose of vaccine. The fast acting antibodies help neutralize the virus but the effect is not long lasting. The first dose of vaccine will kickstart active immunity in about a week IIRC. More vaccine doses are required after the first one.
Jun 4, 2018
391 posts
276 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
Kiraly wrote: I clicked on this thread expecting to read the rest of the poem.
My cat caught a bat, ate it and now is FAT!
Jan 26, 2017
949 posts
1017 upvotes
thexdriver wrote: My cat caught a bat, ate it and now is FAT!
My girlfriend caught a bat, ate it and now is FAT!