My Contractor wants to start Concrete patio next week

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2021 12:05 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes

My Contractor wants to start Concrete patio next week

weather forecast for tuesday ,wednesday and rest of the week shows rains ...but he says if he pours on monday it will be fine and concrete needs lots of watering so raining is good he says ..i am bit skeptical of taking chance please advise
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3429 posts
2210 upvotes
Mississauga
I think if it stays dry for at least 10-12 hours after it is poured then should not be a problem. And yes, water helps strengthen concrete
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13093 posts
4703 upvotes
Ontario
When we got our driveway poured last year they finished early afternoon and by the next day we were able to park our cars on it, so as long as you get a full night/day for it to cure you are fine. But I believe as long as you get a few hours and the top is cured then you are fine, concrete actually takes months if I'm not mistaken to fully 100% cure.
mattdominic wrote: weather forecast for tuesday ,wednesday and rest of the week shows rains ...but he says if he pours on monday it will be fine and concrete needs lots of watering so raining is good he says ..i am bit skeptical of taking chance please advise
Mar 17, 2004
494 posts
56 upvotes
You should keep the concrete moist as it fully cures anyways. The extra water will help it reach its max possible strength and prevent shrinkage cracks. But it should not be raining while they're pouring and placing the concrete as the additional water may cause issues @ that stage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
I don't know but have an observation. When I was driving a lot I remember when passing construction parts of the road especially bridges I saw sprinklers left by workets sprinkling fresh concrete with water. Probably your contractor knows what he is doing.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11958 posts
7125 upvotes
Paris
sickcars wrote: When we got our driveway poured last year they finished early afternoon and by the next day we were able to park our cars on it, so as long as you get a full night/day for it to cure you are fine. But I believe as long as you get a few hours and the top is cured then you are fine, concrete actually takes months if I'm not mistaken to fully 100% cure.
When I did my front walk years ago it was done in the morning and we were walking on it by dinner.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1765 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
mattdominic wrote: weather forecast for tuesday ,wednesday and rest of the week shows rains ...but he says if he pours on monday it will be fine and concrete needs lots of watering so raining is good he says ..i am bit skeptical of taking chance please advise
Its fine if it rains after pouring- as long as the top surface has cured and it wont ruin the finish. (around 6 hours as long as its not a downpour). The rain slows down the curing process which is better for the final strength of the concrete. Concrete is at around 65% strength after 7 days and 100% strength around 4 weeks.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25186 posts
14917 upvotes
Toronto
nikels21 wrote: Its fine if it rains after pouring- as long as the top surface has cured and it wont ruin the finish. (around 6 hours as long as its not a downpour). The rain slows down the curing process which is better for the final strength of the concrete. Concrete is at around 65% strength after 7 days and 100% strength around 4 weeks.
Technically, it never stops curing but change in strength drops off with time. I had a concrete pad poured for a shed 15 year ago. It was poured right in the middle of the summer heat. I watered it every evening for 2 weeks before the shed was put in place with concrete screws. To this day, there is not a single crack, not even a micro crack. I would say a week or two is plenty long wait time.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, lot less with rewards
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
There are additives they can add. For example, some will help it harden in ~20min (not saying they would use this for a patio). Different ones will accelerate curing during cold weather. I assume they will take weather into consideration.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
May 12, 2021
138 posts
61 upvotes
Patio done in July during the heat. Poured by 11am and I started misting it by 3pm every hour. I was only told to water it for that evening.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2273 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
I saw a neighbour down the street DIY a concrete ramp to his front door and had a sprinkler setup to water it as it cured. Good to know how it's done properly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)