Students

My degrees are sitting in a drawer; why the hell won't the universities sell matting?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 10:13 am
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3694 posts
2493 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: I'm listening. What's the solution? How am I going to get the university-specific embossed matting without buying the frames and matting combined? I've checked with the universities. They will not sell it. I've checked Kijiji, nadda. I've checked with independent print shops. They either: won't replicate it or cannot guarantee the same quality. Do tell. I'm all ears.
Just so I understand, your options are to buy "university-specific embossed matting" with the frame from the university (more expensive) or go out and buy your own matting and framing (cheaper). You're not happy with either option because you want to buy just the "university-specific embossed matting". Why exactly do you need to "university-specific embossed matting" - what does that get you that regular matting doesn't? Honestly, just sound like a non-problem that you have created for yourself and getting worked up over especially since you've had the degrees sitting unhung for years. First-world problems at its finest lol.
unshavenyak wrote: Do they use archival paper and UV glass?
Epitome of pretentiousness.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4519 posts
1776 upvotes
Ancaster
hierophant wrote: Just so I understand, your options are to buy "university-specific embossed matting" with the frame from the university (more expensive) or go out and buy your own matting and framing (cheaper). You're not happy with either option because you want to buy just the "university-specific embossed matting". Why exactly do you need to "university-specific embossed matting" - what does that get you that regular matting doesn't? Honestly, just sound like a non-problem that you have created for yourself and getting worked up over especially since you've had the degrees sitting unhung for years. First-world problems at its finest lol.

Epitome of pretentiousness.
It's not about need, it's want. Aesthetics, my man. It's an annoying problem created by the universities and their insistence on squeezing out as much profit as possible.
hierophant wrote: Epitome of pretentiousness.
I don't think you understand that word. It's not pretentious or unreasonable to be able to want to purchase the matting so that your frames can match. Nor is it pretentious for asking what type of paper and glass they use (presumably you don't want to ensure they are protected if the degrees are important to you?). Pretentious would be asserting that you were some sort of philistine for not understanding why we would want the frames to match.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3694 posts
2493 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: It's not about need, it's want. Aesthetics, my man. It's an annoying problem created by the universities and their insistence on squeezing out as much profit as possible.

I don't think you understand that word. It's not pretentious or unreasonable to be able to want to purchase the matting so that your frames can match. Pretentious would be asserting that you were some sort of philistine for not understanding why we would want the frames to match.
Thank you for illustrating your pretentiousness even further lol . BTW did you see what text I quoted in reference to my comment?
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4519 posts
1776 upvotes
Ancaster
hierophant wrote: Thank you for illustrating your pretentiousness even further lol . BTW did you see what text I quoted in reference to my comment?
I didn't assert you were philistine. I gave an example of what being pretentious would look like. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3694 posts
2493 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: I didn't assert you were philistine. I gave an example of what being pretentious would look like. :facepalm:
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5138 posts
1939 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote: To clarify, it's 6 degrees between my wife and I: 2 undergradatues, 2 Masters and 1 Doctorate. The issue we have is that we went to different schools for our undergraduate, my 2nd Masters and her PhD. Oh well, first world problems. We wanted the embossed matting with matching frames, but zeddy pointed out that the matting won't match, so might a well just go with plain jane white.
Personally in that case I'd prefer it if they didn't match. It highlights the different experiences. I don't think it's a bad thing because they're all unique, not like you did undergrad, Masters and PhD at the same school.
Apr 26, 2009
2 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge
Manatus wrote: Personally in that case I'd prefer it if they didn't match. It highlights the different experiences. I don't think it's a bad thing because they're all unique, not like you did undergrad, Masters and PhD at the same school.
Exactly. I've got 3 degrees and a professional designation (and counting). None of them match. The paper size, orientation, colour, and fonts are different. So why does it matter if the frames and matting are also different? Each reflects the character of the school and program at the time they were earned. I've got them all hanging beside each other and the differences add to their collective charm.
Sep 10, 2007
430 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: Personally in that case I'd prefer it if they didn't match. It highlights the different experiences. I don't think it's a bad thing because they're all unique, not like you did undergrad, Masters and PhD at the same school.
I was thinking the same thing. I sort of see it as similar to mastering Martial Arts where as you ascend, the levels have different colour belts/sashes.
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser