• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2012 11:57 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes

My dishwasher takes hours to complete its loads

Hey guys. I just put my load in the dishwasher about 2 hours ago and its still going on. It seems as if it never ends! And I put it in the lightest loading set possible, with no heat dry whatsoever!
Again, here is the dishwasher that I purchased recently: http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md- ... -587-15369
Someone has any advice?
Thanks!
17 replies
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes
I gave up and pressed cancelled and opened the dishwasher and found my dishes clean. :facepalm: the load keeps on going on and on...its annoying waste of money.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
There are several different cycles to the dishwasher. Some take a short time and some take a long time.
I looked at your link. Seems you bought a machine that only has one cycle? What does your owners manual say?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1107 upvotes
Mississauga
According to your manual,

Quick rinse takes 10 minutes
Light wash takes 1.5hrs
Heavy wash takes 2.0 hrs
Pots & Pans takes 2.5hrs.

Based on those times it would appear that there is nothing wrong with your dishwasher other then it takes one heck of a long time to wash.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1233 posts
889 upvotes
Belleville
Trying running the hot water at the faucet before running the dishwasher. Once it is hot to the touch run the dishwasher. If you don't do this the dishwasher has to heat up the cold water first before washing.

Mine used to take forever but when I started running the hot water just before starting the dishwasher it cut down the wash time significantly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1107 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the info FlashFyre but I'm a bit confused. I didn't think that dishwashers heated up the inlet water unless you use the heat cycle? I also didn't think you could change the cycle time based in inlet water temperture since a timer doesn't based it's time due to what the water temperture is. In other words you decide whether to use the heat cycle or not. The only thing pre heating the water would do is eliminate the need to use the heat cycle. Am I still confused?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
copperprincess wrote: I gave up and pressed cancelled and opened the dishwasher and found my dishes clean. :facepalm: the load keeps on going on and on...its annoying waste of money.
You mean you hear the dishwasher still washing after two hours, or the lights don't change to FINISHED after two hours.

Has OP left the dishwasher alone for 4 hours and see if it stops/changes lights by itself?
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
1) How about checking your manual before crying wolf here
2) Yes dishwashers just like washers heat up the water
3) I wouldnt jump to any conclusions until you observe it properly and repeatably
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
I think a lot of the newer energy efficient dishwashers take more time than the older ones. My sister has a new fancy one with steam/etc and it takes like 2+ hours as well.

As other poster mentioned, sounds like it is in your manual. Probably best to ask about cycle times before buying a new one now adays.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1107 upvotes
Mississauga
bluenote wrote: 1) How about checking your manual before crying wolf here
I already have see my earlier post below. Bottom line is dishwashers range in list price from about $300.00 to $3000.00 and Copperprincess has an entry level dishwasher therfore it may take twice as long to complete all cycles yet in the end hopefully you'll get the same results.
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: According to your manual,

Quick rinse takes 10 minutes
Light wash takes 1.5hrs
Heavy wash takes 2.0 hrs
Pots & Pans takes 2.5hrs.

Based on those times it would appear that there is nothing wrong with your dishwasher other then it takes one heck of a long time to wash.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4845 posts
4634 upvotes
Toronto
If Copperprincess is replacing an older dishwasher, the current ones--in general--have very long run times compared to older ones, but it's much more efficient. I changed a 20 year old dishwasher earlier this year and the manual even warned that if you're replacing an older dishwasher, you may be surprised by how long dishwashers run nowadays. I'm not sure how it's more efficient; maybe longer hot water cycles rather than several hot/rinse/hot/rinse cycles? Anyway, my new one is a lot more quieter and seems to do the job better.

I usually run mine at night before going to bed, so whether it takes two hours or five, I don't care.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I usually run mine at night before going to bed, so whether it takes two hours or five, I don't care.
likewise

and newer ones take a lot lot longer. I think I have one of the most expensive dishwashers you can buy and it takes 2+ hours. The new ones take longer but are very efficient. It's like driving your car at 30km/h
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1692 posts
133 upvotes
A lot of the newer dishwashers only run one spray arm at a time in order to keep the noise factor down. So... you want a real quiet dishwasher... it takes a real long time to do the dishes...
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2937 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
The amount of electricity and hot water it would be cheaper an faster to wash dishes on your own.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
gnuman wrote: The amount of electricity and hot water it would be cheaper an faster to wash dishes on your own.
it would be cheaper to also take cold showers and sell my car for a horse.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6692 posts
1367 upvotes
I scanned down the Consumers Reports listing of dishwashers they had reviewed and for virtually all of them the typical cycle time was about 2 hours. The odd one was slightly less and the odd one was significantly more but 2 hours was a good average. Pots/pans cycles are probably a lot longer. The reasons for the long cycle time is of course energy efficiency reasons. Because of the long running times a quiet dishwasher becomes more important than ever.

Cold water incidentally doesn't clean dishes very well at all so most dishwashers have to have heaters since the water coming in isn't usually hot enough. The only heat you usually have control over is in the drying cycle portion of the wash.

Refrigerators have also changed over the years for energy efficiency reasons. Smaller compressors are more efficient running steadily for a long time than large compressors frequently cycling off and on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6692 posts
1367 upvotes
gnuman wrote: The amount of electricity and hot water it would be cheaper an faster to wash dishes on your own.
But that would have been true 50 years ago as well. Manually doing dishes has always been and will always be cheaper than a dishwasher.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes
Thank you guys for the feedback. And I have read my manual before crying wolf here. The light wash was suppose to take less than 2 hours: 1.5 hours. And my dishwasher went over that time since i was watching my time carefully. Also, no lights changed, which confused me even more. And so when I took out the dishes after canceling the load before it stopped itself, i saw the dishes were clean and that the load was going on and on for no reason. :facepalm:
Thank you woof for referencing consumer reports. Made me feel a bit better that im not the only one with this confusion.
In fact, thank you everyone once again. :)