Health & Wellness

My doctor is suggesting me to go on ozempic for weight loss

[OP]
Newbie
May 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote

My doctor is suggesting me to go on ozempic for weight loss

  • Age: 36
  • Sex: M
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 210lb
  • Race: South Asian
  • Duration of complaint: Been gaining weight for almost 2 years. (more details at the bottom)
  • Location (Geographic and on body): Most of the fat is belly fat and love-handles
  • Any existing relevant medical issues (if any): None
  • Current medications (if any): None
So i have been gaining weight consistently for past 2-3 years. I have tried to control my food portion but whenever i do so, I get bad migraines which eventually effect my job and daily routine. I have done calorie count and my calories intake is from 1300-2000/day. However, most of my food consist of carbs (rice). I have also done food testing and will get result in couple of days. The gain is mostly around my belly and my love-handles. I also have constipation issues and i take lax-a-day every now and then.

I try to work out but life comes in way. I know this is not an excuse but I am trying my best. Right now whenever i go to gym (at least 2 times a week i go to gyn) I do 40-60 mins of cardio (elliptical mostly)

My doctor suggested me to go on Ozempic medication along with seeing a nutritionist so that they can figure out why i get migraines if i eat less etc. This will be first time i ever i will be put on any medication and i am not sure if it's a good idea or not. Please let me know your thoughts.
78 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2027 upvotes
Toronto
You may need to do some weight training as cardio will only do so much, and can degenerate muscles in some areas.
Building muscle mass will increase metabolism.
Also a diet high in protein will make you feel fuller longer and reduce the urge for more carbs.
Can't say much about the meds and why the doc prescribed it though.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
b6b6b6 wrote:
  • Age: 36
  • Sex: M
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 210lb
  • Race: South Asian
  • Duration of complaint: Been gaining weight for almost 2 years. (more details at the bottom)
  • Location (Geographic and on body): Most of the fat is belly fat and love-handles
  • Any existing relevant medical issues (if any): None
  • Current medications (if any): None
So i have been gaining weight consistently for past 2-3 years. I have tried to control my food portion but whenever i do so, I get bad migraines which eventually effect my job and daily routine. I have done calorie count and my calories intake is from 1300-2000/day. However, most of my food consist of carbs (rice). I have also done food testing and will get result in couple of days. The gain is mostly around my belly and my love-handles. I also have constipation issues and i take lax-a-day every now and then.

I try to work out but life comes in way. I know this is not an excuse but I am trying my best. Right now whenever i go to gym (at least 2 times a week i go to gyn) I do 40-60 mins of cardio (elliptical mostly)

My doctor suggested me to go on Ozempic medication along with seeing a nutritionist so that they can figure out why i get migraines if i eat less etc. This will be first time i ever i will be put on any medication and i am not sure if it's a good idea or not. Please let me know your thoughts.
You have to work out regularly!
I'm 5"11 and weight 170lbs...40lbs lighter than you.
I eat 4 meals a day and work out 5 days a week for 2hrs minimum of a high impact routine (30min cardio and 1.5hr weights).
There's no magic pills and starvation is torture.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5918 posts
5084 upvotes
I have no idea what ozempic is but search for Eric Berg on YouTube - he explains perfectly the reasons for your symptoms and why in particular you have fat around your belly - it's insulin. Contrary to the posts above, reducing your caloric intake and increasing your exercise will not yield the desired results. Reduce carb intake significantly and do intermittent fasting and you will easily drop the weight and feel better.
Last edited by hierophant on May 27th, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1972 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: You have to work out regularly!
I'm 5"11 and weight 170lbs...40lbs lighter than you.
I eat 4 meals a day and work out 5 days a week for 2hrs minimum of a high impact routine (30min cardio and 1.5hr weights).
There's no magic pills and starvation is torture.
You can't outrun your fork. Weight loss is 95% diet.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
canehdianman wrote: You can't outrun your fork. Weight loss is 95% diet.
Diet doesn't mean starvation.
My 4 meals a day are low carbs.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Drink a lot of water. Constipation is often because u r dehydrated. Headaches r often caused by dehydration. If u r eating a whole foods plant-based diet, u evacuate ur bowels multiple times a day.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1852 posts
1025 upvotes
London
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: Look into IF and supplement with exercise.
This. Listen to some of Jason Fung’s youtube videos or pick up the book “The Obesity Code”. All those carbs make you insulin resistant and that will make you fat.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
Drakestar wrote: This. Listen to some of Jason Fung’s youtube videos or pick up the book “The Obesity Code”. All those carbs make you insulin resistant and that will make you fat.
Jason Fung is a bullish!t charlatan. He's to be ignored ;)

OP, all you need to lose weight is the right energy balance (i.e. a consistent and sustained deficit). A range of 1300-2000 kcals of intake is a big range. If you were truly consistentl eating as little as 1300kcal, at your size, you'd lose weight. Have you tried preparing and cooking everything you eat yourself? Have you tried weighing/measuring everything you consume? I'm not suggesting you track forever. But perhaps for 3-4 weeks...but you have to do it consistently and as correctly as possible.

IF isn't synonymous with energy deficit. IF relates to timing of your food intake. Whether you consume 2500 kcal per day over 14 hours or over 8 hours, you'd still be consuming the same amount of kcals.

If you've being gaining weight, you've been in a small and consistent surplus. If your eating habits haven't changed (which is often hard to assess objectively) your energy output might have. Apart from planned exercise, how m inch moving around do you do, on average, every day?

How much insoluble fiber do you consume daily? If you're not consuming enough, you may not be eliminating often. As for the macronutrient make up of your consumption, it REALLY doesn't matter. You could lose weight on carbohydrate based foods alone -- if the sum of the calories you consume causes a net energy deficit consistently. As an extreme example, imagine all you ate was a cup of rice a day for two weeks. All your intake would be from carbohydrates but the energy deficit created would be enough to sustain weight loss.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1852 posts
1025 upvotes
London
amz155 wrote: Jason Fung is a bullish!t charlatan. He's to be ignored ;)

OP, all you need to lose weight is the right energy balance (i.e. a consistent and sustained deficit). A range of 1300-2000 kcals of intake is a big range. If you were truly consistentl eating as little as 1300kcal, at your size, you'd lose weight. Have you tried preparing and cooking everything you eat yourself? Have you tried weighing/measuring everything you consume? I'm not suggesting you track forever. But perhaps for 3-4 weeks...but you have to do it consistently and as correctly as possible.

IF isn't synonymous with energy deficit. IF relates to timing of your food intake. Whether you consume 2500 kcal per day over 14 hours or over 8 hours, you'd still be consuming the same amount of kcals.

If you've being gaining weight, you've been in a small and consistent surplus. If your eating habits haven't changed (which is often hard to assess objectively) your energy output might have. Apart from planned exercise, how m inch moving around do you do, on average, every day?

How much insoluble fiber do you consume daily? If you're not consuming enough, you may not be eliminating often. As for the macronutrient make up of your consumption, it REALLY doesn't matter. You could lose weight on carbohydrate based foods alone -- if the sum of the calories you consume causes a net energy deficit consistently. As an extreme example, imagine all you ate was a cup of rice a day for two weeks. All your intake would be from carbohydrates but the energy deficit created would be enough to sustain weight loss.
Have you read his books? It's all about hormone resistance. Calling someone a charlatan hardly gives you any credibility. There is tons of proof that IF works. There is tons of proof that these fad diets do not (and that includes CICO). Nothing wrong trying something that works even if you don't believe in it.
[OP]
Newbie
May 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
hierophant wrote: I have no idea what ozempic is but search for Eric Berg on YouTube - he explains perfectly the reasons for your symptoms and why in particular you have fat around your belly - it's insulin. Contrary to the posts above, reducing your caloric intake and increasing your exercise will not yield the desired results. Reduce carb intake significantly and do intermittent fasting and you will easily drop the weight and feel better.
Thanks for pointers. Your response makes sense. Are there are any specific videos that you want me to watch from Eric Berg. The guy has so many videos so i don't want to get over-whelmed. I want to take tiny steps.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
Drakestar wrote: Have you read his books? It's all about hormone resistance. Calling someone a charlatan hardly gives you any credibility. There is tons of proof that IF works. There is tons of proof that these fad diets do not (and that includes CICO). Nothing wrong trying something that works even if you don't believe in it.
IF works for fat loss because it is a tool to assist in sustaining a deficit. Just like avoiding entire food groups or avoiding certain macronutrients work as tools to sustain a deficit. CICO isn't a diet. There's never been a single study ever showing that energy balance isn't what drives fat loss/gain.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1852 posts
1025 upvotes
London
amz155 wrote: IF works for fat loss because it is a tool to assist in sustaining a deficit.
This is not true. IF works because it breaks insulin resistance.

Have you read his book?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5918 posts
5084 upvotes
b6b6b6 wrote: Thanks for pointers. Your response makes sense. Are there are any specific videos that you want me to watch from Eric Berg. The guy has so many videos so i don't want to get over-whelmed. I want to take tiny steps.
FYI Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Eric Berg pretty much say the same thing...Berg even interviewed Fung. There's a huge medical backing for IF and keto.

Also, based on prior comments/interaction with amz155 I would advise to take his opinions with a grain of salt as it relates weight loss using low carb or IF due to a lack of understanding and knowledge.

Here's a couple to start but I'm not going to do your homework for you - his videos are addictive , they're short, to the point, unbiased and extremely helpful

Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2676 posts
1235 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Diet doesn't mean starvation.
My 4 meals a day are low carbs.
I think he means 95% your diet. As in, what you eat and how much of it. That's my assumption anyways.

b6b6b6 wrote: However, most of my food consist of carbs (rice).
Maybe you're eating too much carbs. Cut back on the carbs and slowly ease back on the portions. Eat less sugary snacks. Try unsalted cashews or other nuts. Fruit is good too but not a lot because fruit contains sugar as well. It will take time to change your eating habits/diet but hopefully if you slowly change it then you won't get any or many migraines.

Do you think your migraines is triggered by food (or lack of)? It could be that you have a kink in your neck which is causing you issues in your head.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2013
588 posts
257 upvotes
I have something similar. Cutting (losing weight) is tough. If you're physically able, get into weight lifting. The lean mass/muscle you put on is metabolically active so you'll naturally increase your basal metabolic rate. It'll also help disperse your fat so you don't look fat but 'big/bulky'. You'll likely increase weight but lean mass is ok - the real metric should be bodyfat %. One thing that helped me in the past was a ketogenic diet (but clean protein sources), but check with your doctor first. If you have diabetes for instance you could get into a ketoacidosis type scenario. I ended up losing about 30 pounds in 2 months on keto. But I worked out every other day (weights mostly, and 3x 20 minute HIIT cardio sessions)...HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training, that's been clinically proven to be more effective than steady state cardio - 20 minute intense stint is better than 60 minutes of boring slog. If you can't cut your cals, see if you can increase the quality of the calories, so look up low glycemic carbohydrates, change the fat sources away from saturated to monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (non-trans kind lol) - and boost protein. Protein makes you feel full...Fitness is actually a great hobby, you'll love it once you start making progress - and its easier to see with weights because the results come quickly and they're easily maintained (it's outdated "science" but you might have an endomorph body type which means you'll be pretty damn strong and grow muscles pretty quickly). You can do cardio for an hour but eat 1 donut and all your progress is gone...But try to lose weight, I developed a lot of stretch marks from rapid muscle growth underneath a fatty body in my late teens. I basically have tiger stripes everywhere =(.

Weight training reference:
https://exrx.net/Lists/Directory
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2013
588 posts
257 upvotes
Damn that sounds like a diabetes treatment drug...Yeah, you can prevent a lot of prescriptions with a good diet and regular exercise (blood pressure, cholesterol etc)...You don't need to spend a lot of time in the gym to get fit...Weight training is incredibly fast and HIIT cardio is just 20 minutes...Just schedule an hour in a day to do that, and grab the 2 weekend days. Fit4Less is only 10 bucks a month, totally worth it. Once you build muscles through weights, it's incredibly motivating, you end up stronger. Because you see it as an investment you'll constantly go to the gym to maintain it. Losing weight is f'ing boring and pretty damn difficult but I'll tell you, it'll be a lot easier to do with a lot metabolically active lean tissue around...

Get rid of the rice, I hate the stuff. They're high glycemic carbohydrates and I always feel like shit after eating rice or rice derived products (I'm not diabetic). Replace it with sweet potatoes, quinoa, or barley or something...
[OP]
Newbie
May 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Hobotrader wrote: I have something similar. Cutting (losing weight) is tough. If you're physically able, get into weight lifting. The lean mass/muscle you put on is metabolically active so you'll naturally increase your basal metabolic rate. It'll also help disperse your fat so you don't look fat but 'big/bulky'. You'll likely increase weight but lean mass is ok - the real metric should be bodyfat %. One thing that helped me in the past was a ketogenic diet (but clean protein sources), but check with your doctor first. If you have diabetes for instance you could get into a ketoacidosis type scenario. I ended up losing about 30 pounds in 2 months on keto. But I worked out every other day (weights mostly, and 3x 20 minute HIIT cardio sessions)...HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training, that's been clinically proven to be more effective than steady state cardio - 20 minute intense stint is better than 60 minutes of boring slog. If you can't cut your cals, see if you can increase the quality of the calories, so look up low glycemic carbohydrates, change the fat sources away from saturated to monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (non-trans kind lol) - and boost protein. Protein makes you feel full...Fitness is actually a great hobby, you'll love it once you start making progress - and its easier to see with weights because the results come quickly and they're easily maintained (it's outdated "science" but you might have an endomorph body type which means you'll be pretty damn strong and grow muscles pretty quickly). You can do cardio for an hour but eat 1 donut and all your progress is gone...But try to lose weight, I developed a lot of stretch marks from rapid muscle growth underneath a fatty body in my late teens. I basically have tiger stripes everywhere =(.

Weight training reference:
https://exrx.net/Lists/Directory
Couple of years ago i was very active. I didn't do Keto diet but i had my food quantity control I was doing rigorous workout. my workout was 3 days weight training, split into push/pull and legs workout. and other 2 days i was doing a customized circuit/HIIT training i.e., 5 sets of (10x squats, 10x lunges, 10x burpees, 10x jumping jacks, 10s planks, 10x crunches).

The problem started when i started working at a very stressful job. I never realized that for me food is stress reliever. I don't eat snacks or any other candies/sugary stuff. The only time i take in sugar is when i drink tea/coffe ... and i tend to put a lot of sugar when i am stress. 3-5 tea-spoons was normal for me. This all kept building up. I tried to change my habits but after 1-2 weeks there was a relapse due to office stress.

Whenever i tried to reducing my food portions, I started getting migraines. I connected my migraines due to lack of food ... but now i think it could be the stress + food.

I have quit my job 2 months ago and started working at a new company. so far things are normal and i have started to pay attention towards my health.

This thread has been really really helpful. Thanks to everyone. I am not in favor of taking any medication, so i am going to try IF. But i am not going to go crazy on it, just taking it slow. from last 2 days, I fasted for 12 hours. 1 cup of tea/1 cup of coffee with only 1 spoon of sugar. My plan is to cut down sugar altogether but i will do it in 1-2 weeks. Once i am stable at this diet, I will incorporate my workout routine as well. Will start with HIIT cardio on treadmill/elliptical and gradually will incorporate weights.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
b6b6b6 wrote: Couple of years ago i was very active. I didn't do Keto diet but i had my food quantity control I was doing rigorous workout. my workout was 3 days weight training, split into push/pull and legs workout. and other 2 days i was doing a customized circuit/HIIT training i.e., 5 sets of (10x squats, 10x lunges, 10x burpees, 10x jumping jacks, 10s planks, 10x crunches).

The problem started when i started working at a very stressful job. I never realized that for me food is stress reliever. I don't eat snacks or any other candies/sugary stuff. The only time i take in sugar is when i drink tea/coffe ... and i tend to put a lot of sugar when i am stress. 3-5 tea-spoons was normal for me. This all kept building up. I tried to change my habits but after 1-2 weeks there was a relapse due to office stress.

Whenever i tried to reducing my food portions, I started getting migraines. I connected my migraines due to lack of food ... but now i think it could be the stress + food.

I have quit my job 2 months ago and started working at a new company. so far things are normal and i have started to pay attention towards my health.

This thread has been really really helpful. Thanks to everyone. I am not in favor of taking any medication, so i am going to try IF. But i am not going to go crazy on it, just taking it slow. from last 2 days, I fasted for 12 hours. 1 cup of tea/1 cup of coffee with only 1 spoon of sugar. My plan is to cut down sugar altogether but i will do it in 1-2 weeks. Once i am stable at this diet, I will incorporate my workout routine as well. Will start with HIIT cardio on treadmill/elliptical and gradually will incorporate weights.
That pretty much sums up the weight gain.
All the best!

Top