• Dec 28th, 2020 10:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
174 posts
143 upvotes
North York, Toronto

My dog won't sleep laying down

Ok, odd title. A few days ago I posted a thread looking for an emergency groomer for my husky/mutt. He had some matting, not excessive, but it was deep. So we got him groomed and it's all good.

Before his groom, he would lay down and immediately sit up. He's never done this before. We thought it was just discomfort, hence the emergency groom, but that doesn't seem to have solved the issue. He sleeps at the foot of my bed, and continues to sit upright as he dozes off.

Couple of things to note - he doesn't whimper or whine. He has no facial expressions (other than exhaustion). No heavy breathing. He doesn't try to go for any specific spot on his body to indicate discomfort.

So now I'm thinking it's a medical issue? He's otherwise *very* healthy. But maybe someone here has experienced this before? He seems like an insomniac, but it's come very suddenly.

Edit: we took him to a derma vet last month. He had his bloodwork done, nothing out of the ordinary, thyroid all good, no mites. His stool is also very healthy.

Any advice is very appreciated, I want this eternally happy soul to be comfortable.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3440 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
I would take my pet to the vet, pronto. It doesn't matter that he went to a derm last month or had his blood work done, it is what is the matter now.

I looked at the picture of your dog. He looks a lot like our last dog, except for the colour (ours came only in white or biscuit). By the way how old is your pup as it is impossible to tell since ours at 16 looked about 6? I know you mentioned thyroid tests, but our dog had blood tests pre dental surgery and all was well - he was 12 at the time. About 6 months later he was hypothyroid and on pills. So you never know. I would make a vet appointment now and hope that you could get in before Christmas.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1216 posts
294 upvotes
Back in November my dog—4 yr old 50 lb mutt—wouldn’t lie down. We couldn’t put her in crate and she couldn’t get comfortable. She has a thyroid issue but she had her blood checked recently. Sometimes she yelped for no reason. Turns out she pulled her iliopsoas, either wrestling with her friends in park or slipping on ice. It still bothers her. Basically it is like pulling your groin. She was on muscle relaxants and painkillers for 6 weeks.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
174 posts
143 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Thanks for the advice guys, yes Blanche you're so right, healthy one day, symptoms the next. I was really worried about that.

So we got him to the vet, she couldn't find anything revealing about this issue. But it seems to have passed now.

She attributed it to a number of possible issues - what Philbert said is a possibility, he has been slipping a bit while playing, huskies tend to go hard like that. She said it could also be insomnia caused by a shot he got (antibodies to prevent scratching..long story). Or even just covid depression (he hasn't had many dogs to play with and his best buddy moved out from next door a few months ago.

So I guess it could have been anything, but it doesn't appear to be a serious thing. Sleeps like a rock nowadays.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3440 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
striderKan - good to hear. And I know all about Huskies (ours wasn't a Husky but close enough) - we were quite the sight during winter with him pulling me on the ice as he tried to eat it and the snow. But I would watch for a recurrence just in case. Many dogs do suffer in their lower backs from shots but it soon passes.

Sleeping like a rock is a good thing. Our dog was ALWAYS hungry.