Automotive

My driving license is suspended but I only have one speeding ticket on my record

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2016 7:57 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2016
1 posts

My driving license is suspended but I only have one speeding ticket on my record

I just got a letter from Ministry of Transportation and it says my driving license is suspended under the highway act pursuant to O. REG. 304/94, for a period of 30 days. And the reason is escalating sanctions: HTA and offence regulation 340/94. However I only have one speeding ticket on my record and right now I have G2.
Can anyone tell me why are they suspend my license?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9681 posts
6082 upvotes
Edmonton
Eupheeemia wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 12:31 am
I just got a letter from Ministry of Transportation and it says my driving license is suspended under the highway act pursuant to O. REG. 304/94, for a period of 30 days. And the reason is escalating sanctions: HTA and offence regulation 340/94. However I only have one speeding ticket on my record and right now I have G2.
I suspect the ministry of transportation can tell you... When you dialed their number and talked to a staff member, what did they say?

And I also suspect you'll get more responses in the Automotive forum...

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9681 posts
6082 upvotes
Edmonton
Btw... How many km/h over the limit were you for your one ticket? A 30 second search looks like 4 demerits = 30 day suspension, and 30-49 km/h over = 4 demerits.

C
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1029 posts
380 upvotes
York Region
Go to Service Ontario office or call them ASAP and ask if you don't know. What was your HTA speeding conviction for? I'm sure you would of fought the ticket/try to reduce it, if you knew or researched the implications of the ticket.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10247 posts
2549 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 9:59 am
Eupheeemia wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 12:31 am
I suspect the ministry of transportation can tell you... When you dialed their number and talked to a staff member, what did they say?
This.

Call MTO or Service Ontario to find out, what do you expect people online tell u why your license got suspended.
:S
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
May 30, 2009
502 posts
31 upvotes
MTO can suspend your license. Remember you're in the graduating stages and your driving has to be near perfect. It happened to my sister, one speeding ticket and she got a suspension
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6460 posts
5032 upvotes
North York
You ask strangers (ON THE INTERNET, IN A FORUM) how you got your license suspended, rather than calling the number in your letter?

Did you also ask strangers (ON THE INTERNET, IN A FORUM) how fast you should drive, rather than reading the drivebook or official documents?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11729 posts
1597 upvotes
damn. 30-40 over is a suspension now?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1047 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
qaz393 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 3:37 pm
Novice driver escalating sanctions
Escalating sanctions for novice drivers would apply if any of the following occurrences have taken place within a five-year period:
Any combination of repeat violations of G1/G2/M1/M2 restrictions
Convictions for individual HTA offences carrying four or more demerit points
Court-ordered licence suspensions for HTA convictions that would have otherwise resulted in four or more demerit points.
Escalating sanctions for hybrid drivers would apply if there is any combination of repeat violations of their novice licence (G1/G2/M1/M2) conditions within a five-year period.

The penalties under escalating sanctions for novice and hybrid drivers are:

30-day licence suspension for the first occurrence
90-day licence suspension for the second occurrence
Licence cancellation and a requirement to re-apply for a G1/M1 after the third occurrence. Any fees paid, credit received for time spent in the program or BDE credit would be forfeited when the licence is cancelled. Please note that in the case of a hybrid driver, only the novice-class licence is cancelled on the third occasion; their full-class licence is maintained.
A reinstatement fee is also imposed on first- and second-occurrence drivers.

Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:

(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence

(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11729 posts
1597 upvotes
amkorp wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 3:47 pm
qaz393 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 3:37 pm
Novice driver escalating sanctions
Escalating sanctions for novice drivers would apply if any of the following occurrences have taken place within a five-year period:
Any combination of repeat violations of G1/G2/M1/M2 restrictions
Convictions for individual HTA offences carrying four or more demerit points
Court-ordered licence suspensions for HTA convictions that would have otherwise resulted in four or more demerit points.
Escalating sanctions for hybrid drivers would apply if there is any combination of repeat violations of their novice licence (G1/G2/M1/M2) conditions within a five-year period.

The penalties under escalating sanctions for novice and hybrid drivers are:

30-day licence suspension for the first occurrence
90-day licence suspension for the second occurrence
Licence cancellation and a requirement to re-apply for a G1/M1 after the third occurrence. Any fees paid, credit received for time spent in the program or BDE credit would be forfeited when the licence is cancelled. Please note that in the case of a hybrid driver, only the novice-class licence is cancelled on the third occasion; their full-class licence is maintained.
A reinstatement fee is also imposed on first- and second-occurrence drivers.

Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:

(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence

(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence
o ya applies because they are not full license
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23406 posts
9041 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 2:11 pm
You ask strangers (ON THE INTERNET, IN A FORUM) how you got your license suspended, rather than calling the number in your letter?

Did you also ask strangers (ON THE INTERNET, IN A FORUM) how fast you should drive, rather than reading the drivebook or official documents?
Do I wear my pants on my legs or my head?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2837 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 6:40 pm
On your head fam.

OP,
Save yourself the phone call. You can't get any larger tickets with a G1 or G2. Similarly to the guy above's sister; I had a coworker who had her G2 and has a speeding ticket when she was in NYC. We told her pay a lawyer to fight it without her needing to be there and she didn't. She got a letter in the mail a few months later saying her license was suspended. So enjoy taking the bus and hopefully you learn a lesson from this.

I wish the ministry would do the same shit for people with their G as well. The traffic would be so much nicer during rush hour.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24272 posts
9201 upvotes
Toronto
Just look at the bright side, you will not get any more speeding tickets in the next <30 days (as long you are following the law)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6460 posts
5032 upvotes
North York
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 6:40 pm
konsensei wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 2:11 pm

It depends to be honest. Some people only have their heads in their pants, in which case, their pants cover both legs and head.