Careers

Is my first Job Salary okay?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2017 10:23 pm
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes

Is my first Job Salary okay?

Just wanted to run it by you guys to see what you thought and if i am overpaid or underpaid or average in this position?

Background: Just turned 25, Bachelors (Health Information Management). Currently in my last semester of my Masters (Healthcare Technology) both are from Ontario Universities
Previous Jobs: Worked at a few startups and had a internship at a Hospital in Toronto
Current Job: Working at a crown corporation as an Analyst that regulates healthcare services in Ontario (Hint Hint)
Salary: 65 K, 3 weeks vacation and some dental/health benefits, pension plan that the company matches

This is probably my first "real job" just wanted to see if i got screwed over,got lucky or if i am average? any opinions are much appreciated.
54 replies
Nov 17, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
Solid salary and good benefits and 25 years old. You done good.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
smart to focus on a specialize and in demand field.

I assume your degrees is not as hard as computer science? generally this kind of salary is good for a computer grad, I think.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13067 posts
3756 upvotes
Will your salary increase with your Masters or where are you planning on taking your career afterwards?

I'd say it is decent. I don't know enough about your field to really know.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
You are doing good.
First job shouldn't only look at the salaries, but more rather there are good things to learn and have room to growth.

With 65k/yr, you already by passed the thread about the road to make 50k thread here in RFD.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
You're making more than most people starting off lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
johanscott wrote: You're making more than most people starting off lol.
He's making more than most people starting off, but many 25 year old on RFD makes at least that amount, without the extra years spent doing masters and the opportunity costs of working full-time. So it depends on who he's comparing himself to.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote: He's making more than most people starting off, but many 25 year old on RFD makes at least that amount, without the extra years spent doing masters and the opportunity costs of working full-time. So it depends on who he's comparing himself to.
That's true. But sometimes the industry doesn't care about your masters. I worked with people who had masters and were making less than me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
When it comes to *most* graduate first job salaries these days, I'd guess a slap-in-the-face 30-40k, and if it's 50+ it's decent....regardless of industry. So yes, you're near the top end of first job salary.

What salary progression is like beyond starting the first job is obviously a different story and VERY dependent on industry.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
johanscott wrote: That's true. But sometimes the industry doesn't care about your masters. I worked with people who had masters and were making less than me.
That's why you can't just compare with people that's also doing their first job after graduating from university at 22. When they've been in the industry for 3 years and they're now also 25, they can make just as much, however, they've also worked an extra 2 years. Even at 40k a year, that's an extra 80k, enough for a condo down payment, while also not be in debt for an extra 20-30k minimum for masters.
Last edited by blitzforce on Dec 14th, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: When it comes to *most* graduate first job salaries these days, I'd guess a slap-in-the-face 30-40k, and if it's 50+ it's decent....regardless of industry. So yes, you're near the top end of first job salary.

What salary progression is like beyond starting the first job is obviously a different story and VERY dependent on industry.
He's also in a form of government sector (crown corporation), so entry-level positions there are usually higher paying compared to the private sectors.
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
1000islands wrote: smart to focus on a specialize and in demand field.

I assume your degrees is not as hard as computer science? generally this kind of salary is good for a computer grad, I think.
Yeah you are right. It wasn't as hard as CS, I started as an IT student but switched over
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: He's also in a form of government sector (crown corporation), so entry-level positions there are usually higher paying compared to the private sectors.
Yes it is a government/ public organization. In terms of progression it's hard to say but usually ppl move up to a senior analyst position in a year or two and they make around 75_85k
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
DontCareyou wrote: Yes it is a government/ public organization. In terms of progression it's hard to say but usually ppl move up to a senior analyst position in a year or two and they make around 75_85k
Once you're in, you're almost guaranteed a raise/promotion as time progresses. This does not apply to private sector, so you are already way ahead of everyone else that's in the private sectors.
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: Once you're in, you're almost guaranteed a raise/promotion as time progresses. This does not apply to private sector, so you are already way ahead of everyone else that's in the private sectors.
Good to know
.. I can see that most ppl start in my position and move up. My plan is to be here for a max of 3 years and move into healthcare consulting (Deloitte or telus health) I think this might be a good next step given that I have a mix of hospital and public health care experience
Last edited by DontCareyou on Dec 14th, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Will your salary increase with your Masters or where are you planning on taking your career afterwards?

I'd say it is decent. I don't know enough about your field to really know.
Well I eventually wanna go into health care consulting. I got this job on the basis of my masters so I don't see a raise in the next lil while
Last edited by DontCareyou on Dec 14th, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
OP is making 65K plus benefits at your "first" job and asking us if your salary is okay.

This sounds like a humble brag topic.
Last edited by raichu1 on Dec 14th, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
OP is just bragging. Is my 1 million dollar salary ok? LOL.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1514 posts
1401 upvotes
Digital Gulag
The humblebrag is strong in this thread. If you were to compare with someone starting off right after Uni with a bachelors I would say you're def ahead but imo the time spent on masters you could argue the value for doesn't seem worthwhile. You should probably compare with others that have finished a masters...

Many 25 year olds who didn't do masters incl myself were able to comfortably get into the condo market (one even a house) before the big rally. Def not as easy right now tho..
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: He's making more than most people starting off, but many 25 year old on RFD makes at least that amount, without the extra years spent doing masters and the opportunity costs of working full-time. So it depends on who he's comparing himself to.
That's true but if I take into account all the scholarships and forgiven asap into account my masters cost me $11000. It's a 5 semester masters (no summers off) I fast tracked and did my courses in 2 sems and the rest 2 we're co-op anyway. You are right. I don't even know who to compare myself to. The only point of reference I have is a family member who has a similar background makes 80k +6k(benefits payout) but has 3-4 years more expierence

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)