Scammers and Warnings

My friend was a fraud victim and an officer from TPS have acknowledged it was a fraud

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 12:43 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2020
3 posts

My friend was a fraud victim and an officer from TPS have acknowledged it was a fraud

My friend sent a large amount of money to the fraudster via e-Transfer, and ever since receiving the transfer, the fraudster had stopped communication with my friend.

I understand cops are legally unobligated to be involved with civil matters, but this time, the assigned TPS officer had acknowledged it was a fraud, and I have contacted another friend of mine who is currently a part of TPS and that friend also had acknowledged it was a fraud.

And yes, as you have expected, the TPS is not interested one bit in attempting to arrest this fraudster.

I did a plenty of websearch and I found out that it is indeed a very easy and quick process to find out who received my friend's money

And at the moment, neither the TPS nor the bank is interested at all in helping my friend.

I will accept that no arrest is likely to be made,

but at least, can the bank reimburse, if the cop talks to my friend's bank and acknowledged to the bank that it was a scam?

I did a plenty of research, and roughly for 90% of all fraud cases, the bank refused to reimburse ( even if the cop had presented photos of the fraudster to the bank )

and there were some cases when the bank did reimburse.

https://imgur.com/PCWeUNU

Thanks a lot, Red Flag Deals!!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10802 posts
1947 upvotes
Toronto
dreammagic19 wrote: My friend sent a large amount of money to the fraudster via e-Transfer, and ever since receiving the transfer, the fraudster had stopped communication with my friend.

I understand cops are legally unobligated to be involved with civil matters, but this time, the assigned TPS officer had acknowledged it was a fraud, and I have contacted another friend of mine who is currently a part of TPS and that friend also had acknowledged it was a fraud.

And yes, as you have expected, the TPS is not interested one bit in attempting to arrest this fraudster.

I did a plenty of websearch and I found out that it is indeed a very easy and quick process to find out who received my friend's money

And at the moment, neither the TPS nor the bank is interested at all in helping my friend.

but at least, can the bank reimburse, if the cop talks to my friend's bank and acknowledged to the bank that it was a scam?

I did a plenty of research, and roughly for 90% of all fraud cases, the bank refused to reimburse ( even if the cop had presented photos of the fraudster to the bank )

Please explain how it is a quick and easy process to figure out who the person is. Thank bank will not give you any information on any of their customers, who received it or anything.

There have been cases in the past where yes, fraudsters have been caught and arrested (one was a man near where I live scamming people in online romance scams) but those are few and far between.

The TPS already told you and/or your 'friend' that they don't get involved in them so they're not going to call this persons bank and say it was fraud either so don't expect that.

Your 'friend' needs to cut their losses and learn a lesson.

Care to explain what the fraud was or how it happened?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14054 posts
3899 upvotes
Montréal
Haha, "friend" is right, and has a new burner account and still can't say it was him/her.

Gotta use one's brain and not etransfer anything w/o good reason.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6878 posts
1669 upvotes
Toronto
dreammagic19 wrote: My friend sent a large amount of money to the fraudster via e-Transfer, and ever since receiving the transfer, the fraudster had stopped communication with my friend.

There is nothing the cop or the bank can do for now. Fraud or no fraud lesson learned and moves on....
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3263 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, ON

One hit wonder, now gone.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!