Is my G1 Licence my earliest licence?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 10:28 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
1 posts

Is my G1 Licence my earliest licence?

I am moving to the US and I want to be able to drive around so for me to be insured I have to put my earliest drivers licence. I got my G1 drivers licence in 2015 so I was wondering if that is the correct answer so I don't mess myself up in the future.
17 replies
Jul 29, 2019
82 posts
67 upvotes
In Ontario, when I went through the system, I got no learner's permit. After you take the knowledge test (G1) you get your licence in the mail that allows you to start to legally drive. So yes it is the earliest.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3803 posts
1145 upvotes
At home
Insurers here don't care about G1 because you can't drive on your own with it. If you have an accident when driving with your G1 it goes against the licensed driver that is supposed to be keeping you out of trouble. For this reason I believe G2 is the correct answer.
Jul 29, 2019
82 posts
67 upvotes
But is the insurer asking for the earliest licence or is it the US government/state where they are changing the Ontario licence into the state licence.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1151 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: Insurers here don't care about G1 because you can't drive on your own with it. If you have an accident when driving with your G1 it goes against the licensed driver that is supposed to be keeping you out of trouble. For this reason I believe G2 is the correct answer.
This. Some insurance companies ask when you got your G1, but they only count years of experience from G2 (which is one factor of how much you pay)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1151 posts
848 upvotes
HAMILTON
" A G1 driver is expected to always be accompanied by a fully licensed G license holder with at least 4 years driving experience. In case you are caught driving alone without supervision, you may be fined with a ticket of $110 and a 30 days suspension of license."

In other words you cannot drive by yourself with a G1 license.

So, is unlikely you would be able to get insurance on your own and highly unlikely you would be able to drive in the U.S.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5677 upvotes
North York
I think OP is only asking what is the earliest license. He could probably have a G right now, but the earliest, the very first driver license he got is a G1.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
675 upvotes
I doubt insurer cares for how long OP got stuck in G1.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13308 posts
7645 upvotes
Toronto
Bb0231 wrote: I doubt insurer cares for how long OP got stuck in G1.
No, but insurer cares how long you have had consecutive years of insurance, typically you start from the time you first get your license no? OP is just generalising, and so am I. Lots of folks that get a license and don't start driving right away is really rare and therefore, my answer would be correct in my case, as well as many others. I got my license and I had insurance.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4151 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto
Jacket1 wrote: I am moving to the US and I want to be able to drive around so for me to be insured I have to put my earliest drivers licence. I got my G1 drivers licence in 2015 so I was wondering if that is the correct answer so I don't mess myself up in the future.
Suggest you ask the people that are asking for the information in the first place rather than an internet forum.
When in doubt, always go to the source.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5112 posts
3829 upvotes
In Ontario context, I think your insurer wants to know when you got your G license.

It depends on what state you are going into and what licensing scheme they have. I think you should as forums that have more users of the state you are going in.

You should clarify with your insurer what they are really asking, trying to match to their lingo.
Sep 1, 2009
304 posts
234 upvotes
gta
luckystrike1 wrote: " A G1 driver is expected to always be accompanied by a fully licensed G license holder with at least 4 years driving experience. In case you are caught driving alone without supervision, you may be fined with a ticket of $110 and a 30 days suspension of license."

In other words you cannot drive by yourself with a G1 license.

So, is unlikely you would be able to get insurance on your own and highly unlikely you would be able to drive in the U.S.
Not true,
I know someone who was a G1 and She was insured by her own. She only needed me to be with her when She drove her car. And She was insured by a State Farm broker. I was on a separate insurance and had a different car. She had her own vehicle too
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1151 posts
848 upvotes
HAMILTON
" Can a G1 driver buy a car?

There’s nothing restricting a G1 driver from buying a car—but you likely won’t be able to insure it for driving until you have your G2 licence. A policy is always set up in the name of the registered owner. However, the primary driver of the vehicle must be someone who has a valid G2 or G licence. Make sure you contact your potential insurance broker or company before buying! "

So your sister somehow slipped under the radar....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2162 posts
1071 upvotes
Mississauga
Jacket1 wrote: I am moving to the US and I want to be able to drive around so for me to be insured I have to put my earliest drivers licence. I got my G1 drivers licence in 2015 so I was wondering if that is the correct answer so I don't mess myself up in the future.
Yes, that would be the right answer. All the insurance questionnaire I have filled so far ask for basically two questions. one is related to licence history, so the day you got G1 would be the first licence date. Next question is usually around the insurance history. This depends on when you were first insured.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)