• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2021 1:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28021 posts
13615 upvotes

My god I want to punch my Airfryer

My airfryeroven is bellowing smoke for some random reason.
I just cleaned the damn thing so I have no idea WTF could be smoking.

I've been meaning to have a single pointer thread that I can point to so what a better time than when my smoke alarm is currently making me deaf.
If anyone is curious to know which one I have, it's a regular sized Philips Digital.

May as well start with the cons:
-Randomly decides to smoke. Always fun when your smoke alarm is in the kitchen. That's a different punchable offense.
-Basket is dangerous. The clip that holds the basket to the outer shell sucks. It releases randomly without me touching the button. It fell off with hot grease in the bottom of it. Luckily it missed most of me but I did get burned a little. My basket is now dented.
-(Digital) Whoever designed the UI should be punched. Touch screens don't belong on everything. This is one of the things it doesn't belong on. Setting the timer is stupid. Turning on the unit after setting the timer is stupid. The entire UI is just stupid.
-Cleaning the thing is just a disaster. The mesh basket is extremely fine so it holds onto food. Plus it sticks like no tomorrow. Dishwasher doesn't help, even though it's powerful enough to clean my deep fryer's fried on gunk and my sheet pans that have baked on grease.
-The outer shroud isn't much better. It's not non-stick but it's coated with something that I'm sure will scratch if I put a scouring pad to it.
-Why this thing is called a "fryer" is beyond me. Air doesn't have the heat capacity of oil. Don't believe me? Stick your hand in it for 3 seconds. You won't be burned. Try that with a fryer. (NOTE: Don't actually try this with a fryer)
-Some people argue the healthiness of this thing. I don't buy it. They're putting par fried frozen foods in. That's why the results are good. You're reheating deep fried items. Cooking anything from raw is about the same as an oven. Mostly because it is an oven.
-TINY basket. Won't feed more than one person. There's an XL model (as well as other manufacturers) but the Philips model is over double the cost.
-I don't know how people are cooking steaks and chops in theirs. This thing cooks so quick that it has no time to brown anything. Chicken only has a chance because it's spending 20 minutes in there and even then it's only one sided. Everything coming out of mine has been anemic.

Pros:
-It makes a great convection oven.

I'll be amending this randomly when more stuff pops into my head.
Plus it's been 12 minutes and my smoke alarm shut off finally.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
35 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20290 posts
5736 upvotes
GTA
I have zero of your problems, been using for almost 3 years, 3 to 5 times a week. I'm ashamed to say I've never cleaned it and it looks great.

Zero issues with the basket and tray I(although it's heavy). I've stopped using the mesh a long time ago and got the metal grill accessory and never looked back. Cleanup is a breeze, paper towel with warm water and wipe.

I have the normal digital version, with the touch buttons and it's easy to use. Press on, press go to preheat, when it beeps, pause it, put food in, set timer and forget.

I don't brown stuff in it, it's obviously not gonna work, so I only cook breaded meat and it works great.

The digital version is fine for the two of us, it's not big that's for sure, we aren't cooking the whole meal in it of course.

Sorry to hear all your problems, this product doesn't seem like it's for you.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to hear that you don't like your "air fryer" device. I don't have a Phillips so I cannot comment on your genera issues with it. I have a T Fal and love it. Never had a problem with it......so far.
Your smoke issue seems to be the issue that has you so ranting about it. Is the smoke a food smoke or a fryer device smoke?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7580 posts
4942 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I could never handle a smoke detector in the kitchen. It is bad enough that I can often set it off and it is in the hall lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28021 posts
13615 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I've stopped using the mesh a long time ago and got the metal grill accessory and never looked back. Cleanup is a breeze, paper towel with warm water and wipe.
I think the grill pan would be better but I don't want to invest another $50 into it.
I think at this point I'm going to sell mine and buy a competing model that already has a pan and is bigger.
I have the normal digital version, with the touch buttons and it's easy to use. Press on, press go to preheat, when it beeps, pause it, put food in, set timer and forget.
Setting the timer is stupid. Takes much longer than needed.
Setting the timer before it's preheated is also stupid. When the UI doesn't respond or you miss the arrow you end up changing the temp. Then you hit "on" to start the timer and the unit shuts off. But if you wait a second and then hit on, it actually starts.
There's no consistency.
The number of times that I managed to not turn it on and it just shuts off after the preheat cycle is too damn high.
Of course they couldn't just have an "on" button and let me time my own thing.
I don't brown stuff in it, it's obviously not gonna work, so I only cook breaded meat and it works great.

I don't know... every airfryer post mentions someone cooking a steak or a chop.
I knew it wasn't going to work going in, but I had to test it to be sure.
The digital version is fine for the two of us, it's not big that's for sure, we aren't cooking the whole meal in it of course.
Maybe I do eat a lot. But I can't fit more than 4 thighs in there nicely which is a meal for me.

Pete_Coach wrote: Your smoke issue seems to be the issue that has you so ranting about it. Is the smoke a food smoke or a fryer device smoke?
I'm not sure. It's random when it wants to do it.
Last time was chicken thighs but it doesn't smoke every time. It has a 50/50 chance of doing it.
As mentioned, I just cleaned it so it's not burning already burnt on food.
Chickinvic wrote: I could never handle a smoke detector in the kitchen. It is bad enough that I can often set it off and it is in the hall lol.
I swear no one that designs houses actually cooks (or lives in them)
I'd be fine if it had a working mute function but apparently most smoke detectors only mute when the smoke is "light"
Yeah that helps. I'm here to acknowledge it. I'm pretty sure if there was actual danger I'd be out of the house.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17497 posts
4582 upvotes
Toronto
I'd google the model number, make, etc and see if anyone else out there has the same complaint, or if the company has any recall going on.
It might simply be a defective unit (or model).
Repair or replacement may be due.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1077 upvotes
unplug the smoke detector when you use the air fryer

simple
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28021 posts
13615 upvotes
Why don't I listen to myself? Seriously I think I may be mentally challenged or something.

Ended up buying a Ninja LG450CCO from Costco since it was on sale. I kind of wanted to test the smokeless grill concept.

TL;DR I've never had such an anemic steak and burger in my entire life. It was literally hair above browning, even set on max grill.
I think I'm gonna send it back.

Oh and between my original post and this I've had 2-3 other air ovens and they've all been equally stupid in one way or another.
They still make great ovens which is why I think I continue to buy these stupid things, but they don't do anything nearly as well as they advertise.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2339 posts
921 upvotes
i usually place the air fryer on top of the cook top and turn the exhaust fan on. Stopped the alarm from turning on. I used to have a Philip with that thin steel wire mesh basket, extremely difficult to clean. I bought some wax paper to put on top, it helped a bit. Got rid of it since I got a convection oven and air fryer all in one. It is not as good as an air fryer but save space.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6909 posts
3875 upvotes
Mississauga
Air Fryer is just bs marketing. It’s a countertop convection oven. Nothing more.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
7538 posts
6527 upvotes
Toronto
Change your smoke alarm to a Nest Protect, that way you can Silence the alarm before it starts. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6656 posts
1602 upvotes
What brand is your air fryer?

My phillips works fine and has the grill attachment. I do not know any other brand that has this attachment.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Philips--Philips ... SaEALw_wcB
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Feb 9, 2008
349 posts
292 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've had my nuwave oven before air fryers became cool.
Nothing to wash except utensils. Line the pan with foil. Put food and cook. Transfer foil to plate. Eat. Discard foil. Done.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4596 upvotes
Montréal
I'm just SHOCKED that Mr Death 'Admonisher of all things airfryer' Hawk actually bought one LOL.

Should've bought an Acti-Fry ;)
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Feb 9, 2008
349 posts
292 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tranquility922 wrote: I'm just SHOCKED that Mr Death 'Admonisher of all things airfryer' Hawk actually bought one LOL.

I have one. Tried making wings. It somehow de-skinned the wings and stuck them together.
Might have left it in too long on the keep warm mode.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4596 upvotes
Montréal
zerod wrote: I have one. Tried making wings. It somehow de-skinned the wings and stuck them together.
Might have left it in too long on the keep warm mode.
Protip: try the trick of removing the paddle for foods that don't need 'stirring' (maybe a slight greasing of the base to avoid sticking).
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5128 posts
2025 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: I could never handle a smoke detector in the kitchen. It is bad enough that I can often set it off and it is in the hall lol.
Cooking ... there's bound to be smoke.

Pathetic that someone would even put a Smoke Detector in the kitchen. Since that person is so smart ... put one in the bathroom.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5128 posts
2025 upvotes
9394 wrote: Change your smoke alarm to a Nest Protect, that way you can Silence the alarm before it starts. Face With Tears Of Joy
Disconnect it and toss it out! Absolutely NO NEED for one to be in the kitchen. It's pathetic! It'll blast away each time you cook that has lots of smoke!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28021 posts
13615 upvotes
9394 wrote: Change your smoke alarm to a Nest Protect, that way you can Silence the alarm before it starts. Face With Tears Of Joy
I wonder if my Condo board would disapprove. I'd have to swap it back when they test it every year.
Plus I don't think they're wired are they?
Not that it matters since the interior ones don't trigger alarms. It's only the (common) hallway ones that do.
1xTiMeR wrote: What brand is your air fryer?
I've used Philips, 2 random brands I don't recall, Cuisinart, and now a Ninja.
Philips was the worst. I have the grill pan because I was tired of cleaning the mesh basket (plus it increased my cooking area slightly)
zerod wrote: I've had my nuwave oven before air fryers became cool.
Nothing to wash except utensils. Line the pan with foil. Put food and cook. Transfer foil to plate. Eat. Discard foil. Done.
I had one (actually 8) of those too. It was my primary cooking appliance for a while but they kept breaking within like 3-6 months. I kept like 2 on hand while I sent them in for warranty. For some reason I kept on buying them because I like the performance of them vs a full sized oven.
They were full of lies too (like dual layer cooking) but they worked well.
At least they didn't pretend to be deep fryers.
tranquility922 wrote: I'm just SHOCKED that Mr Death 'Admonisher of all things airfryer' Hawk actually bought one LOL.
To be honest... I think they're just stupid fryers (and apparently grills).
They do make fantastic convection ovens because that's what they are.

Just the concept of that is stupid to me.
I get what amounts to a frying pan that automatically stirs.
It isn't very often where I ever need that to happen. Disabling the stirring function just turns it into a very bad convection oven.