Shopping Discussion

My horrible experience with buying a phone from google store (Pixel 3a)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 8:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes

My horrible experience with buying a phone from google store (Pixel 3a)

After using a Motorla E5 Play for a while, I decided to upgrade to the Xiaomi A2 Lite - but the quality of the photos, is still, pretty crappy. Both my other half and family was like, why don't you get a good phone, and I'm of the opinion that I won't spend more than $200 on a phone considering the turnaround in tech, and obsolition. However, with black friday, the Pixel 3a at $150 off was appealing, so I pulled the trigger, Dec 1st, and bought it. But, I still don't have it...

The delivery date was supposed to be Dec 6th, but I never received any "here is your tracking number" email, that date came at went. Called Google Store Support (GSS from here on) and was told they would look into it, but noone got back to me. In the meantime the status of my order changed you "Your order has been delayed"...

A couple of days later, status changed to Delivery for Dec 11th, and 2 days before, having not received any "your phone has shipped", I opened chat with GSS; the agent assured me it would arrive as the date said. Of course, Dec 11 came and went, no phone..then the status of my order changed you "Your order has been delayed"...

Opened chat again, and was told the shipping team would be engaged, they could fix it. Wasted time waiting on chat, they came on, and said "looks like your order is still in processing mode" (wow, no $hit, I would slap someone if this is what they told me to my face)... looks like we will need to escalate to the warehouse, they will contact you by email in 24-48 hours...of course noone contacted me.

In the meantime, the date changed to Dec 16-17, but you know the story.. they came and went, again the status is now again "Your order has been delayed"...

Chat again, asked to escalate, was told a manger would contact me in 24 hours... never did, I emailed back, some "manager" contacted me with stock/scripted email.

W T F? It's now almost 3 weeks later after I ordered the phone. Noone in support seems to be able to help at all. Phone was in stock when I ordered. The 3a phones are in stock now...

What a totally $hit experience. After a bit of research, it seems this is very typical of the google store - I am very very disappointed that such a huge company, has such crap customer support...

Has anyone on here ordered a phone from the google store??
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6093 posts
3175 upvotes
Mississauga
I too took advantage of the Black Friday pricing and ordered a 3a. Arrived when it said it would via Canada Post, no issues. Looks like it came from Ingram Micro here in Mississauga.

I get it that errors can happen but a true testament of a business is how quickly they resolve them. In this case, Google doesn't seem to care. Sorry OP for the shitshow you're experiencing right now.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19226 posts
6776 upvotes
Toronto
I'm reading this message on my brand new 3a.

No issues over here!
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19226 posts
6776 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I too took advantage of the Black Friday pricing and ordered a 3a. Arrived when it said it would via Canada Post, no issues. Looks like it came from Ingram Micro here in Mississauga.

I get it that errors can happen but a true testament of a business is how quickly they resolve them. In this case, Google doesn't seem to care. Sorry OP for the shitshow you're experiencing right now.
Same. Surprised to hear otherwise.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5657 posts
7010 upvotes
If you look at the reply from the staffs, apparently it is known problem. The ordering system probably has a glitch and cannot handle the order properly. The staffs are probably handle the problematic order manually right now which will take considerable amount of time. However, if you still don't get it before Christmas, then it is unacceptable. I believe the large group of customer complaints will show up in news media too.
vodka wrote: Interestingly, this is what I found, other people are experiencing the same garbage...

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comme ... om_google/
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/store.google.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
It's very frustrating to say the least. I'm not sure if the chat is handled by real people, on several occasions there were things said that made me wonder if it's not just AI at work. Last night again I tried to just get a simple answer, and after around 20 minutes the guy in the chat said "I notice that order was stalled and it is not yet shipped"

I was like, WTF yes this is the first thing we talked about 20 minutes ago...

About a week ago, on another chat I got some response along the lines that "the systems is fully automated and human intervention is not possible"....

Still, this is a pisser knowing that people got the phone 2 days after ordering it, and as a 1st experience buying directly from the google store it is very sour and I will likely never buy from there anything ever again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
hightech wrote: You could always email sundar@google.com and tell him how disappointed you are in how this order and the entire process is being handled.
Are you being facetious?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14962 posts
3330 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: Are you being facetious?
No, I am serious. Just like one can email jeff@amazon.com if they experience bad customer service, you can email Sundar and he will direct the email to someone who can assist. Just make sure that you are polite in your email, provide your contact info and state what you would like (i.e. the phone and perhaps a extra case for the inconvenience).
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5657 posts
7010 upvotes
In that case, give them a call

Canada 855-836-3987 24 hours a day, seven days a week
https://support.google.com/store/answer/6178715
vodka wrote: It's very frustrating to say the least. I'm not sure if the chat is handled by real people, on several occasions there were things said that made me wonder if it's not just AI at work. Last night again I tried to just get a simple answer, and after around 20 minutes the guy in the chat said "I notice that order was stalled and it is not yet shipped"

I was like, WTF yes this is the first thing we talked about 20 minutes ago...

About a week ago, on another chat I got some response along the lines that "the systems is fully automated and human intervention is not possible"....

Still, this is a pisser knowing that people got the phone 2 days after ordering it, and as a 1st experience buying directly from the google store it is very sour and I will likely never buy from there anything ever again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
Already did, twice. Those front line agents have no visibility past "your order is still in processing mode", useless.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5657 posts
7010 upvotes
Ask them why people who order later than you, but they already receive the product? Your ordering system is NOT on first come first serve basis? Tell them it is unacceptable the phone will not arrive before Christmas.
vodka wrote: Already did, twice. Those front line agents have no visibility past "your order is still in processing mode", useless.
Jun 17, 2018
230 posts
458 upvotes
Similar experience as OP. Still waiting for my phone.
Oct 27, 2008
20 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Same type of issue I’m having. Ordered the Pixel 3a on nov 29 and it still hasn’t showed up. Got a tracking number from google the next day and it was suppose to arrive on the 2nd of Dec. Today is Dec 20 and I still haven’t received it. Ticket open with Google on Dec 4th. They are investigating..wtf!?!? What sucks is that they can’t provide me an update and the support person I was working with went MIA. I call google daily and get the same response “your support representative will contact you in 24 hours. That’s a lie! I keep asking Google to just send me another phone and they say they can’t until the investigation is complete. Horrible service and support. Will never buy from the google store ever again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
trucanuck wrote: Cancel your order and return the phone.
There's no phone to return as it was never shipped - not sure who your post is meant for. Last thing I need it to cancel the order and then be told that I can't get a refund because the phone was sent, even though I never got anything and the order is still "in processing mode"...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
mramalho wrote: Same type of issue I’m having. Ordered the Pixel 3a on nov 29 and it still hasn’t showed up. Got a tracking number from google the next day and it was suppose to arrive on the 2nd of Dec. Today is Dec 20 and I still haven’t received it. Ticket open with Google on Dec 4th. They are investigating..wtf!?!? What sucks is that they can’t provide me an update and the support person I was working with went MIA. I call google daily and get the same response “your support representative will contact you in 24 hours. That’s a lie! I keep asking Google to just send me another phone and they say they can’t until the investigation is complete. Horrible service and support. Will never buy from the google store ever again.
You mean a tracking number for a shipment? So, where is it, did you use it to track the shipment? Seems there are some horror stories around FedEx these days, and if it's with a courier, Google will just wash their hands of it and claim it's a problem with a courier from what I read. If you never get it and reverse payment, Google will lock out the account that it was ordered from is also what I read. Seems like they have horrible customer service, which is oh so sad. Hopefully Amazon will release Android phones soon.
Oct 27, 2008
20 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Received a tracking number from Canada post that it would be delivered by Dec 2. Canada post still shows it in transit. Google opened a ticket with Canada post and they verified that they never picked up the package from Ingram micro (warehouse) now google says they need to investigate with their shipping and receiving team. That was 7 days ago.
I’ve heard the stories of them locking out your account which seems absurd if you end up reversing the charges. What a joke this company is. Next time I’ll just order from amazon US
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2588 posts
827 upvotes
mramalho wrote: Received a tracking number from Canada post that it would be delivered by Dec 2. Canada post still shows it in transit. Google opened a ticket with Canada post and they verified that they never picked up the package from Ingram micro (warehouse) now google says they need to investigate with their shipping and receiving team. That was 7 days ago.
I’ve heard the stories of them locking out your account which seems absurd if you end up reversing the charges. What a joke this company is. Next time I’ll just order from amazon US
Yeah, I'm with you, had I know this ahead of time I would not have ordered; it is in fact a big joke, I'm surprised that so many people are getting shafted this way and there is no social media post about this. Like Google would really care.

Canada post may be the problem here. I sent back a couple of things to Amazon, it took a week and a half (Montreal to Toronto) when it's generally max 2 days with Amazon returns. Showed "in transit" until it was received, with no updates. I get that it's the season where a lot of online shopping is done, but Christ we are in 2019 and one would think that companies would get a clue and be more prepared, and that includes couriers.

Reminds be of every year's black friday sale at best buy, and their systems crash because they cannot handle the order traffic. Can't they just elasticize their workloads for a week to make it a better customer experience.