My iphones camera shutter won't open

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2012 7:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 9, 2012
56 posts
MISSISSAUGA

My iphones camera shutter won't open

The shutter on my iphone 4 will not open, I've tried all the resets and playing around with settings but it will not work I think it's a software glitch. This all happened randomly one day when I pressed the record button to stop recording a video and it froze.

What it looks like when I open my camera app is a closed shutter and the camera/video slider flashing very fast. I can still click the photo thumbnail in the bottom left corner of the camera app and go to my camera roll and that's it. The camera works fine with other apps that use it so it's not a hardware problem.

I called apple and since my phone is out of warranty they won't help me. I thought maybe if I clicked restore in itunes it would fix it but I'm not sure if it will erase all my data or not which I don't want. How can I make it work again? right now I'm fine with ios4 (jailbroken for a year now working fine) but I hear there is a stable jailbreak for ios 5 now so I might upgrade, will upgrading maybe fix it? finally, how can I make a copy of all my stuff in a seperate folder? I want ALL my music, photos, videos, notes etc. in a folder that isn't itunes because I really don't trust it and I've heard enough horror stories of things getting wiped clean to know I should make a hard/original backup of everything.
8 replies
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2300 posts
99 upvotes
restoring your firmware is an option

new camera module if its hardware is not very expensive to replace.

should of gotten applecare.
Dec 1, 2010
169 posts
23 upvotes
have you tried closing the app and restarting it?
[OP]
Sep 9, 2012
56 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I've tried the home+power reset, exiting the app and even killing the process manually. It's gotta be a glitch in the camera software.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2644 upvotes
Toronto
ohh you're going to have to restore it. It happened to me once on my 4 as well and since I only had it for a day, i didn't lose much contact info on the phone. After that, the problem disappeared forever
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
A stable jailbreak has been out for iOS5 for a while. Backup in iTunes, restore to iOS5, then restore your backup. The iPhone has no shutter to get stuck.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2012
56 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I mean the virtual shutter. Anyone know how to get the music/video/app/picture files out of itunes and on my external drive?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
thephilosopher wrote: I mean the virtual shutter. Anyone know how to get the music/video/app/picture files out of itunes and on my external drive?
All will be stored in a folder somewhere on your computer. You could always just sync and have iTunes create a backup.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2012
56 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I figured it out, I had to use some other software to get all the files out (each individual file, not just a back up) now I'm going to upgrade to ios5 and ope for the best.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)