• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 2:24 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
730 posts
639 upvotes
MONTR

My Laser Eye LasikMD consultation - Looking for Advice

Hey guys, I recently got my consultation and having a hard time making a decision.
I know there is a thread regarding this issue, but after reading over 12 pages I decided I needed advice from you guys.

My eyes are not that bad, however I don't like wearing glasses or having contacts (they cause dryness after 4-5 hours). My eyes are -2.00 left, and -2.25 right. I am trying to avoid the every two year eye exam, the new glasses I need because they are scratched, which is around 150-250 $, and the 12$ monthly on contacts.

My questions are,

Shall I get a second consultation from another laser clinic ?

Should I take the Advanced Custom wavefront Lasik with Keratome (3500 $ with lifetime vision enchancement) " (plus I was told that I would have less halos compared to standard procedure)" OR Standard Lasik (2180 with 0year plan, 2480$- 1year, 3year 2580$, 5 year 2680$)
I do get a feeling that this advanced wavefront lasik and the extra years of enchancement is just a marking scheme.

However this marketing scheme also makes you feel like you will be "safe" and insured.

Since my Cornea is at 530 microns, and my eyesight is less than -2.5, my chances of actually needing another enhancement would be under 5 % (as I was told).

To be honest I am very big pus** when it comes to things like this because I get very unlucky. However I also want to have perfect vision without glasses and contacts.

What are your advises regarding the consulation, the prices, and my eyes. If you need more information from please do ask.

Thanks in advance !
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1362 upvotes
kingkam92 wrote: My eyes are not that bad, however I don't like wearing glasses or having contacts (they cause dryness after 4-5 hours). My eyes are -2.00 left, and -2.25 right. I am trying to avoid the every two year eye exam, the new glasses I need because they are scratched, which is around 150-250 $, and the 12$ monthly on contacts.
You won't avoid the every two year eye exam by undergoing a refractive surgery procedure. The eye exam is for more than just checking and updating your prescription, it is for checking other aspects of eye health not treated by LASIK/PRK.

Shall I get a second consultation from another laser clinic ?
Its always a good thing to be extremely informed. You should also talk with your optometrist as to your options, and any referral centers she/he might be able to recommend.
Should I take the Advanced Custom wavefront Lasik with Keratome (3500 $ with lifetime vision enchancement) " (plus I was told that I would have less halos compared to standard procedure)" OR Standard Lasik (2180 with 0year plan, 2480$- 1year, 3year 2580$, 5 year 2680$)
I do get a feeling that this advanced wavefront lasik and the extra years of enchancement is just a marking scheme.
In some patients, there can be a significant advantage to undergoing a wavefront-guided procedure instead of just a 'standard' procedure. I do question the ethics of a surgeon who even offers an inferior procedure. Microkeratomes are obsolete at this point. The modern "standard of care" for LASIK flap creation is a femtosecond laser, or going with PRK (which doesn't involve a flap!).

I assume you've been briefed as to the difference between LASIK and PRK, right? If not, then you need to do more research.

Having said that, the only way you will know if you will benefit from a wavefront-guided procedure or a 'standard' procedure is to be measured on both a topographer and an abberometer by an opthamologist.
Since my Cornea is at 530 microns, and my eyesight is less than -2.5, my chances of actually needing another enhancement would be under 5 % (as I was told).
Yeah those are reasonably thick corneas relative to the treatment you need.
To be honest I am very big pus** when it comes to things like this because I get very unlucky. However I also want to have perfect vision without glasses and contacts.
You should be counselled appropriately on the downsides, and how they might relate to some of your personal circumstances such as occupation. The laser platform and the treatment algorithm used on such laser platform *can* make a difference as to whether you end up as a 20/20, or if you can be taken all the way to being a 20/10. Of course, no surgeon will make any promises to you, and there's a lot of marketing crap to sort through.

What are your advises regarding the consulation, the prices, and my eyes. If you need more information from please do ask.
Get a second, and third opinion. Talk to your optometrist. Research, research, research. It took me 15 years of research, comfort with procedures, and advances in technology before I was confident enough to get under a laser recently. And even then, I flew to the other side of Canada to have it done for reasons that I'm sure you can put yourself to sleep with reading in that 'other' thread.
Last edited by burnt69 on Apr 2nd, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1501 upvotes
Ehh... if you're a true pus**, then do PRK like some of us did. You have healthy eyes with decent vision...why would you cut them up for the potential of flap complications into the future?

Sorry to sound like a broken record/spokesperson for PLEC in Vancouver. I swear I'm not being paid or affiliated with them in any way. But you mention dry eyes...cutting a flap into your cornea may introduce dry eyes that last for 5+ years, or are permanent.

Meh!!!! Three, four consultations...and then sit on the decision. If you can't decide, I'd say, don't do it at all. Your eyes are good!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1362 upvotes
peanutz wrote: Sorry to sound like a broken record/spokesperson for PLEC in Vancouver. I swear I'm not being paid or affiliated with them in any way. But you mention dry eyes...cutting a flap into your cornea may introduce dry eyes that last for 5+ years, or are permanent.
FWIW, Dr. Mullie and Dr. Balazsi have some wonderful online reviews at Clinique LaserVue in Mount Royal. Schwind laser too. Maybe they can be convinced to upgrade to that wonderful SmartSurfACE software for optimized transPRK if they haven't already:

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/ ... al-QC.html

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/ ... al-QC.html

http://www.laservue.ca

Their website vaguely implies that they're doing topographic-guided ablation (ie: "Corneal Wavefront") on the Schwind laser, which is exactly the same as is done in Vancouver at PLEC (but maybe not with the SmartSurfACE upgrade -- the OP should ask them!).

http://www.laservue.ca/en/lasik-surgery
At Laservue, 99, 7 % of our patients achieve vision of 20/20 or better after "HD - TopoZero" LASIK.
And pricing seems to be reasonable:
From 1200$ to 1800$ per eye, depending on the level of myopia and the technology chosen.
If they're doing a topographically guided treatment, and a -2 is good enough to qualify for the lowest price, it could be a really good deal and have a really good outcome.