Computers & Electronics

My macbook pro 16 inch is a sluggish piece of crap.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 10:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13878 posts
10151 upvotes

My macbook pro 16 inch is a sluggish piece of crap.

$3K for this thing and it is just a bad computer. Yes, it's an i7 but I don't use any heavy programs or play games. literally surf the net and do some work on it.

I'm outside the return period so scratch that but I'm inside the 1 year warranty period. All i can really do is send it in and hope that there's something wrong with it that they can fix. This can't be normal though. So sluggish to do some of the simplest tasks.

Specs:
16-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display - Space Grey

My question is has anyone experienced the same, and has anyone successfully sent their macbook into apple and had it either fixed or replaced experiencing this? I feel like I'm going to have to sell this thing. I see no difference between performance when I compare it to my 2014 MBP 13 inch.
49 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18856 posts
4951 upvotes
Toronto
My 2017 quad-core i5-7600 iMac was also sometimes sluggish, esp. with MS Office, until I reinstalled macOS.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4362 posts
1708 upvotes
GTA
JayLove06 wrote: $3K for this thing and it is just a bad computer. Yes, it's an i7 but I don't use any heavy programs or play games. literally surf the net and do some work on it.
You paid 3k to surf the net and do some work on it? 🤣
Dec 22, 2007
696 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga
Mine feels not as fast at times as well but i think its just the way they are. Its not at the point where its not usable however it at times does feel not as fast as it can be. Suspect is the OS but still rather it than windows.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5573 posts
2157 upvotes
Debtario
Should not be a hardware issue, most likely some software level funk going on. Could be anything from bad updates to misconfigured or corrupt drivers.

Either way, great excuse for apple to upsell you a new laptop.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2990 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
What exactly do you do with it?

I have the base 16" model and it runs perfectly fine doing all of the programming tasks that I need to do. I haven't updated to Big Sur yet (out of compatability concerns) but it runs just as fine as the day that I bought it.

I'm planning to sell or trade this model once the Apple M1 ecosystem is more mature.
Oct 2, 2011
113 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to see people complains about Apple product. Apple always good everywhere on the internet. Sorry OP.

I also using Macbook Pro, paid for the company though. Fan blowing very nociy like using Dell server. And you can't call it laptop since its too hot to put on your lap. Using for coding not even building on it... Yeah Apple makes it "Pretty" right. that's it.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12226 posts
3381 upvotes
you need to see what's running in the background.

chances are you have some rogue process going
JayLove06 wrote: $3K for this thing and it is just a bad computer. Yes, it's an i7 but I don't use any heavy programs or play games. literally surf the net and do some work on it.

I'm outside the return period so scratch that but I'm inside the 1 year warranty period. All i can really do is send it in and hope that there's something wrong with it that they can fix. This can't be normal though. So sluggish to do some of the simplest tasks.

Specs:
16-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display - Space Grey

My question is has anyone experienced the same, and has anyone successfully sent their macbook into apple and had it either fixed or replaced experiencing this? I feel like I'm going to have to sell this thing. I see no difference between performance when I compare it to my 2014 MBP 13 inch.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5406 posts
1161 upvotes
Perhaps do a 'factory reset' of your OS.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13878 posts
10151 upvotes
shabby wrote: You paid 3k to surf the net and do some work on it? 🤣
My work paid for it. But I bet you paid for yours.

Even so, your post is silly. People can buy whatever they want if they can afford it. You offered nothing constructive with your post. Tried to make a “funny” but just exposed your own insecurities.
Mar 7, 2008
637 posts
159 upvotes
Leask
Do a reinstall of MacOS should do!

I have both 16mbp base and a Lenovo i7 T15. Mbp 16 is smoother.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11833 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: My work paid for it. But I bet you paid for yours.

Even so, your post is silly. People can buy whatever they want if they can afford it. You offered nothing constructive with your post. Tried to make a “funny” but just exposed your own insecurities.
Your work would let you sell a computer that they paid for?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6500 posts
2208 upvotes
Vancouver

Specs:

SSD and at least 16gb of ram I am assuming?

Here's some general info that may or may not be relevant:
just because it's an i7 and has 6 or whatever-20 cores, doesn't mean it translates to real life. Many programs don't use those cores or your OS or notebook is setup not to be at full power. When you open a browser, your CPU doesn't shoot to 100%, so extra power at hand is just useless!
Heck, just your mobile power setting can dictate if you are running at 10% or 30%. Manufacturers optimize a lot of things to squeeze more batter life. Even GPU often don't come preset to run at full power. Nvidia Control Center is a great example where in Power Management section if you switch from Normal to Performance, it can help with performance.

RAM and SSD play more role in day to day tasks. Especially if you are into having lots of windows or tabs then RAM is needed and just going from 8 to 16 can increase performance in day to day tasks quite a bit. I did a test a while back on win 10 on a 32gb ram machine. 3 windows with tabs and word open can shoot ram to 16gb out of 32.That means there's benefit to having 32gb ram. The increase won't be as drastic as going from 8 to 16,but it's there.

Some browser extensions can slow things down so if you have a lot, maybe consider deleting some to see if it helps. If you don't have a lot of ram, perhaps consider limiting animations and such. If you haven't updated your system and all the apps, consider doing it.

On a side note, if your work gave you the laptop, it may have some 3rd party apps, including tracking apps installed, which monitor and slowdown your system. Some force you to use work vpn and that can slow the traffic down a bit by using a connection with high latency. A friend of mine's connection is ~ 250ms via work vpn VS home's PC bellow 30ms. 250 is A LOT and each page almost hangs for 1/4 of a second so general browsing seems much slower even without any test.
Last edited by dazz on Feb 16th, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3589 posts
819 upvotes
This is why I Hate Apple. Lots of people buy their stuff to look good,cool, smart etc
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12226 posts
3381 upvotes
Huh ?

This is more of a user error than anything.
EEE2 wrote: This is why I Hate Apple. Lots of people buy their stuff to look good,cool, smart etc
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13878 posts
10151 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: This is why I Hate Apple. Lots of people buy their stuff to look good,cool, smart etc
Has nothing to do with looking cool over here. LMAO I own both apple and PC. I’d not get involved in these wars. My company is a Mac shop so that’s what I use.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11833 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote: Your work would let you sell a computer that they paid for?
JayLove06 wrote: Of course.
That's very odd, but okay. It's quite uncommon to receive IT equipment from work with no strings attached that you can simply flip on Kijiji the next day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9228 posts
4509 upvotes
Markham

Like why buy BMW while GMC is cheap?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13878 posts
10151 upvotes
board123 wrote: That's very odd, but okay. It's quite uncommon to receive IT equipment from work with no strings attached that you can simply flip on Kijiji the next day.
Yes, it’s certainly not common. But why would I lie?