• May 17th, 2019 2:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 19, 2011
51 posts
24 upvotes
MONTR

Is my microwave safe?

We moved in our house 3 years ago. There is an Ikea microwave in the kitchen island, at knee/hip height. Kitchen was redone 4 years ago and the microwave is new.

When it runs, wifi stops working and my bluetooth speaker and baby monitor starts jumping. I read (don't know if it's true) that if you put a cellphone in the microwave and call it it shouldn't ring, but it does when I try. What do you guys think?
Last edited by gabrieltp on May 17th, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3532 posts
20031 upvotes
I would check the warranty on the microwave and confirm with IKEA on possible replacement?

What I would do is just run it for 30sec. and look at the wifi and see what happens to it, do the lights turn off or go crazy when it's running.

Sounds like when the wiring was done during the reno, it might have all been placed on the same circuit and the microwave puts in a big draw of electricity.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2278 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
Perfectly normal when near a microwave as it interfers with various frequency broadcasts ... I've never known one not to do this.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5658 posts
3412 upvotes
This is 100% normal
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11696 posts
8165 upvotes
GTA, ON
Jojo_Madman wrote: Perfectly normal when near a microwave as it interfers with various frequency broadcasts ... I've never known one not to do this.
Yup... That's why I begin cursing under my breath when I'm in the employee lunchroom and someone comes in to heat their meal. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4575 upvotes
Alberta
Normal. Microwave oven runs on approx. 2.4 GHZ same as your router wireless N channels and Bluetooth. Try changing your router to a different channel or try running the router on 20MHZ bandwidth.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15674 posts
16828 upvotes
Oakville
Even with the door open it won't give you cancer if that's what you're worrying about.
Microwaves emit non-ionizing, so at worst it would just warm you up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9658 posts
5046 upvotes
Paris
I had an energy monitor that was leaking at the 2.4 ghz spectrum. Took down everything on that spectrum till I figured it out. Was a low battery issue.

You know that FCC warning on all devices? That they are required to accept interference? That’s all this is.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)