Personal Finance

How to handle money stuck in ATM machine?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 4:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

How to handle money stuck in ATM machine?

Hi
On January 2019 I I stopped at the bank of Montreal ATM machine envelope -free One
I deposit the $500 cash No Envelope The ATM could not recognize one of the bills so I asked for money back When I asked my money back Something happened to the atm machine And the money is stuck in the atm machine So I called the customer service bmo customer service explain to them what happened they told me were going to open investigation it may take up to 15 business days so now over a month and nothing happened I’m out of my money Even though I talk to the people at the branch About what happened last night with the ATM They told me nothing we can do about it different company deal with the ATM they are so unprofessional so be careful don’t Use envelope free ATM I’m not a rich guy I was trying to keep my Money Safety of the bank but Up now I don’t know where is the money And no good answer on the customer service so customer service !!!!!!
12 replies
Jul 25, 2018
642 posts
963 upvotes
Milton, ON
I would sympathize with you more if you used punctuation.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2760 upvotes
I think the net advice of many threads that have talked about cash deposits at ATMs is: don't do it!

If the money is in an envelope, and the envelope turns up short when the deposit is checked, there's no way to prove what happened. And as with the OP, the chance of a screwup when depositing a lot of bills without an envelope is too high.

Go to a cashier. Unfortunately the bank will still put a hold on cash deposits (why???), but at least the money gets counted in front of you.

Most people are fortunate enough never to have had a problem with an ATM. If you do have a problem, don't expect any help from the associated bank branch - they will all tell you that the ATM network is operated independently of the branch, and they can do nothing but report the problem and ask for an investigation to be opened. In some cases the error can be fixed quickly, but don't rely on that. An investigation can take up to 30-90 days to respond, depending on the circumstances.

Worst of all is if you have a problem with an overseas ATM while traveling. The local bank will tell you that you need to request an investigation from your Canadian bank. Your Canadian bank will tell you that they need 90 days to question the transaction through the international banking network. And most of the time the initial response will be that the bank in the other country simply confirms the invalid transaction according to their computer records without actually doing an investigation. You have to ask again and wait at least another month to get an actual investigation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6705 posts
3865 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 10:48 am
I think the net advice of many threads that have talked about cash deposits at ATMs is: don't do it!
I have done several hundred cash deposits at ATMs with zero issues whatsoever. I used to do them in quite large amounts sometimes when working for a property management company.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2760 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:33 pm
I have done several hundred cash deposits at ATMs with zero issues whatsoever. I used to do them in quite large amounts sometimes when working for a property management company.
All in envelopes?

Do you know what would have happened if a deposit envelope had come up short when checked by the bank? Presumably you would have been the one held responsible?
Feb 16, 2018
465 posts
405 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:48 pm
All in envelopes?

Do you know what would have happened if a deposit envelope had come up short when checked by the bank? Presumably you would have been the one held responsible?
What you posted was nonsense. Im in the same camp as the above Poster except my cash deposits have numbered A lot more than his over the years. Its no different then a business depisiting via the overnight drop box which i have also done for over a decade
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10672 posts
7065 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
HghSsociety wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:57 pm
What you posted was nonsense. Im in the same camp as the above Poster except my cash deposits have numbered A lot more than his over the years. Its no different then a business depisiting via the overnight drop box which i have also done for over a decade
Do branches still have overnight dropboxes?
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6705 posts
1314 upvotes
T dot 6
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:33 pm
You can have many good experiences but one really bad experience can ruin you forever. Like when my co-worker ate beef tar tar or when my friend visited Thailand, etc.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6705 posts
3865 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:48 pm
All in envelopes?

Yes, all in envelopes. It isn't really a matter of "held responsible". If the bank noticed I had miscounted money, they would have corrected the deposit, just like they do if you are there in person. I did have a time or two when they noticed I had undercounted (corrected the deposit in our favour).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6705 posts
3865 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jaytee wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 11:41 am
You can have many good experiences but one really bad experience can ruin you forever. Like when my co-worker ate beef tar tar or when my friend visited Thailand, etc.
My response with my personal experience was to the person stating that doing cash deposits at the ATM is not a good idea. My hundreds of deposits with no issues suggests to me that that advice is "off" somehow.
Jan 19, 2007
900 posts
401 upvotes
Torontario
Adam38128 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 12:29 am
Hi
On January 2019 I I stopped at the bank of Montreal ATM machine envelope -free One
I deposit the $500 cash No Envelope The ATM could not recognize one of the bills so I asked for money back When I asked my money back Something happened to the atm machine And the money is stuck in the atm machine So I called the customer service bmo customer service explain to them what happened they told me were going to open investigation it may take up to 15 business days so now over a month and nothing happened I’m out of my money Even though I talk to the people at the branch About what happened last night with the ATM They told me nothing we can do about it different company deal with the ATM they are so unprofessional so be careful don’t Use envelope free ATM I’m not a rich guy I was trying to keep my Money Safety of the bank but Up now I don’t know where is the money And no good answer on the customer service so customer service !!!!!!
Sorry - I don't believe this story or something is majorly missing from " Something happened to the atm machine And the money is stuck in the atm machine "

Multiple bills pr (or multiples) cheques are each separated and dual-scanned on a fly-wheel and you can actually hear this. I have used both TD and BMO for such deposits.
Machine automatically shows you what's scanned and offers you a receipt.
Any offending bills are automatically returned - while that 1 bill can be stuck, the rest of your transfer would have gone through.
Even in that case, the ATM would have given you a receipt
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5181 posts
5079 upvotes
Vancouver
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 10:48 am
Go to a cashier. Unfortunately the bank will still put a hold on cash deposits (why???)
Counterfeit verification.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
Canadian Tire and Monopoly money always get rejected ... let me know when you find an ATM that accepts them.