• May 28th, 2018 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12589 posts
1953 upvotes
City of Vancouver

My neighbourhood Vancity's doors to ATM machine locked after 8pm

Does ur financial institution ever lock their doors to their ATM machine? I asked why my Vancity had the doors locked, and the answer was because (homeless?) people were sleeping inside. Anyone else have this issue, or is it just my area?
De gustibus non est disputandum
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
Becks wrote:
May 24th, 2018 9:21 pm
Does ur financial institution ever lock their doors to their ATM machine? I asked why my Vancity had the doors locked, and the answer was because (homeless?) people were sleeping inside. Anyone else have this issue, or is it just my area?
I was shocked to find Victoria banks do this too. I haven't had to unlock an ATM vestibule with my card since the 90's back in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4675 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
I used to worn early mornings in downtown Ottawa and I saw that a lot of banks had homeless people sleeping in them. They were always gone by around 8am so I guess the banks would decide to look the other way about it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12589 posts
1953 upvotes
City of Vancouver
lennyandcarl wrote:
May 24th, 2018 9:27 pm
I was shocked to find Victoria banks do this too. I haven't had to unlock an ATM vestibule with my card since the 90's back in Ottawa.
There was no option for me to unlock the doors with my card!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17723 posts
1758 upvotes
Space for rent
Becks wrote:
May 25th, 2018 2:55 pm
There was no option for me to unlock the doors with my card!
That's brings up an interesting thought. Some banks in Toronto have the card access locks and I remembered some 10+ years ago during cold nights, I've encountered some homeless guys sleeping in there and invariably as you take money out they ask for some. You can't say no with the potential to be assault. Or another scenario is a homeless person follows you in as you gain access do you as a average citizen have some obligation to stop them from entering or do you just take pity and let them in and hope that they don't also rob you as you take money out.

Obviously this is way before debit taps and NFC phones.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5609 posts
5577 upvotes
Vancouver
Poutinesauce wrote:
May 25th, 2018 10:36 am
Homelessness is a huge problem in Vancouver and Victoria. Understandably, it's the only place in Canada where you can be homeless and not freeze to death.
The social service ministries in Alberta and Saskatchewan have given their homeless one-way bus tickets to Vancouver because that's cheaper than providing them with services at home.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12589 posts
1953 upvotes
City of Vancouver
That is the one I am talking about.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3008 posts
698 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
I remember there was a bank that requires you to use their card to be able to get inside to use their ATMs.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac