• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2004 1:44 am
Tags:
None
Jun 25, 2004
284 posts
46 upvotes
What exactly is a "legitimate deal" then? We all know that these $300 box sets are not "worth" $300 to almost anybody. $300 is surely not the market value. So when there's a half-off deal and they're on for $150, who gets fooled by this? There's another thread where somebody talks about a board game being $45, and suddenly on Boxing Day the retailer sticks a $90 price tag on and another one that says 50% off.

Perhaps some people are situated on the low end of the demand curve and are only willing to pay $14.99 for the box set. In this case then, $14.99 might be their regular price. Anything less than $14.99 is now a deal, and anything above is "no thanks". They look at the $300 price tag and think, "Now, this must be a pricing error."
Jun 25, 2004
284 posts
46 upvotes
Oh, and to answer Neil's question, from what I gather, Futureshop has been cancelling most while Best Buy has been approving most.
Feb 23, 2004
776 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond
They canceled my order! Nooo! My order was with Best Buy....

Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (Deluxe) Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (SACD) Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Stravinsky: Petrouchka, Firebird Suite, Scherzo / P. Jarvi Shipment Cancelled $14.99
The Eagles (Rock) - Hell Freezes Over [DTS] Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti [Remaster] Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Pink Floyd - The Wall Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
34 upvotes
Sask
1madman1 wrote:They canceled my order! Nooo! My order was with Best Buy....

Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (Deluxe) Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (SACD) Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Stravinsky: Petrouchka, Firebird Suite, Scherzo / P. Jarvi Shipment Cancelled $14.99
The Eagles (Rock) - Hell Freezes Over [DTS] Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti [Remaster] Shipment Cancelled $14.99
Pink Floyd - The Wall Shipment Cancelled $14.99

These things being subjective, if I'd seen Norah Jones SACD, Pink Floyd-The Wall, and Led Zepelling remaster at $14.99 I'd have innocently thought OK that's a boxing day price.

I think those titles are typically in the $25-$30 range so $14.99 would be a 'deal' and not too outrageous to be believed. In your case I'm sorry they cancelled them. As for Eagles-DTS that is actually one I shopped for but when I went to I got some inventory problem message. Frankly that disc is overpriced year round at $35 and I thought gee, boxing day maybe if they've got it around $20 I'll go for it. Had I seen $15 I would have ordered it and thought 'nice deal, half price, it's about time'.

While we are on it, what do you people think of Eagles-Hotel California remastered for $9.99 on Future Shop. Is that a deal or a price mistake or just average?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
34 upvotes
Sask
roy wrote:It is this comment that is fundamentally flawed. You can NOT conclude that a reluctance to sell the box set for 14.99 proves that 14.99 does not represent a realistic market value for the item. There are numerous reasons why one may not wish to sell the box set, for example, they got a good deal, why give it up?

This whole idea of a 'realistic market value' is strange... if I had bought ten of the box sets, then sure, I'd turn around and sell them for $15, maybe $20 for a small profit... but I will keep one for myselft. Does this mean that it is now a realistic market value. Not really. What is a realistic market value? It's not what FS sells the item for, since they are severly over priced. I guess you could say that it is the wholesale value of the item, but then if someone sells for less than wholesale, then what happens? Am I allowed to buy the item, or is that dishonest in some way?

FS agreed to the price with the online transaction, that's why. As I said, they want to do online business, save money by serving thousands of people with very little effort (and making A LOT of money in the meantime), then they should stand to lose the money from the blunders that this means of sales entails. They made a mistake. Fix the mistake, but honour the agreed upon prices.
Roy - the main point here is your legitimate choice to reject my $15 offer. Shouldn't any seller, Roy or Future Shop included, not have the option to decline a $15 offer on an item that most people (ie: market) agree is worth more?

I'm sure someone might want to be anal about it and build a case that an online order is some sort of implied future contract, but essentially it is you offering to buy something and Future Shop offering to sell something. Orders are not final, and that's not a new concept. Future Shop typically finalizes their side of an offer (order) within a day and ships the goods. The buyer then has usually about 30 days to decide if they want to carry through with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
34 upvotes
Sask
Neil wrote:While we are on it, what do you people think of Eagles-Hotel California remastered for $9.99 on Future Shop. Is that a deal or a price mistake or just average?
No feedback on whether the Eagles remaster is a deal or not?
Dec 10, 2004
75 posts
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

When talking about ethics, isn't it FS's responsibility to honour the price? Is it not a mark against THEIR integrity if they don't? What's to stop them from advertising 10% off a product, then charging more for it, claiming a pricing error?

Why is buying a $14.99 product whose regular price was $200 wrong? They put up a price, a customer is willing to pay it. Isn't that how it works? I read in the BST forum that people generally have to honour the prices they put up. Same thing here.

If FS couldn't sell the product for the incorrect price, maybe they should have contacted everyone who ordered one, apologize profusely (a little bit of grovelling would be nice), and come to a mutually beneficial agreement? It would have been alot of work for them, but I was always taught to be lazy and do things right the first time.

My two cents...
Jun 25, 2004
284 posts
46 upvotes
Neil wrote:No feedback on whether the Eagles remaster is a deal or not?
If it's a good price to you, then it's a deal to you!