Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2003
1034 posts
70 upvotes

My own phone number called me today

For the last 5 or so months I've been getting calls from my own phone number or close to it saying i have won points towards flights. I get these at least once a week. I've tried blocking all variations but they still manage to get through and leave voices messages. I've even had people calling me saying i called them with the same message I've been getting. I understand these are internet calls. Is there a way to stop them or at least slow them down?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10896 posts
3167 upvotes
I don't think there is a way to stop them since they can set the caller ID to whatever they want. These are offshore spammers that have been a problem for the last few years. One of their more recent tricks is to set the caller ID to a number in your area or even your own number. These days the most common messages are about winning something from airmiles or westjet, or a live person selling air duct cleaning.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15116 posts
1511 upvotes
Markham
Yea it's impossible to block these people unless you want to risk blocking legitimate calls

Unless you only white list your contact list
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1297 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If some of them are from WestJer, which is a fully functional airline company, why doesn't the government do something? I understand it being hard to catch people selling and scamming, but if it's from WestJet,shouldn't they be held liable about people spamming for their company'?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10896 posts
3167 upvotes
Varian wrote: If some of them are from WestJer, which is a fully functional airline company, why doesn't the government do something? I understand it being hard to catch people selling and scamming, but if it's from WestJet,shouldn't they be held liable about people spamming for their company'?
They aren't from westjet. It has nothing to do with WestJet. They aren't even from Canada, which makes it difficult for the Canadian government to go anything.

"Hi, you just won a special trip from [WestJet], please press 1"
*press 1
"Congratulation on winning your [WestJet] vacation. Please enter your credit card information to continue".
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29093 posts
4782 upvotes
Montreal
I actually sat through the whole spiel one time, accepted the offer, got escalated to a manager to get my card info than threatened to report him for fraud. 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Apr 12, 2008
661 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
equalizr wrote: ... I've tried blocking all variations but they still manage to get through and leave voices messages.
I've had "local" neighbourhood numbers call me and earlier this week "my own number" called me. But I've never had any of them leave me a voice mail. It's either luck or down to the fact that I don't pickup if I don't recognize the number.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5719 posts
1424 upvotes
I just don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, especially if they start with the first digits of my phone number.

They seem to have decreased in their frequency (knock on wood).
Jun 23, 2008
465 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
same here. my # is 416-780-ABCD, their caller ID always very similar to mine, like 416-780-ABDD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2003
1034 posts
70 upvotes
Found an android program called Extreme call blocker. You can use wildcards like 780-98*-xxxx. Also has the feature of answering the phone and hacking up without you even knowing it thus no voice messages.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7070 posts
2691 upvotes
Canada
These scammers will use your first 3 numbers and it's done by an automated program. The number they are using are spoofed and the callers are scammers. DO NOT be nice to them. They are calling you to scam so tell them to fuc$%$k off and waste their time. Government is well aware of their scam and already fined them,but can't do anything as they are located somewhere in Panama.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5108 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
annexguy wrote: same here. my # is 416-780-ABCD, their caller ID always very similar to mine, like 416-780-ABDD
Yes, realized these kind of spam calls about half year ago... sadnessly these can't be blocked.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)