Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
324 posts
326 upvotes
North York, Toronto

My pattern lock is fubar

Hi RFD, I have a Galaxy s8+.

My pattern lock is acting goofy, won't recognise the correct pattern. Fingerprint works fine so I can get into my phone. But entering security settings to disable pattern requires pattern.

Kind of scared to turn off my device.

I have all lost device software enabled and signed into Google. What can I do?

Edit: OK while I have both Samsung and Google Find My Device enabled, in my android settings apparently I didn't give permission to remote unlock. Turn it on? Requires pattern.

Thank you kindly ilu
9 replies
Sep 1, 2009
351 posts
289 upvotes
gta
Back up, wipe to factory or root your device and get super user to hack your way in. Don’t ask me how to root - search word xda ( I don’t post forward links )
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
324 posts
326 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Is that really what's necessary to solve this?

I have access to my device and its not acting strange. Using it as normal just..pattern keeps rejecting
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5373 posts
3065 upvotes
GTA
Whether there is a solution or not that requires factory resetting to solve this problem, I'd definitely recommend backing everything up as soon as possible. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a Samsung update locking devices out.

Sure, you have access to the device now but the next time the operating system requires a non-biometric way to unlock the device, you may be out of luck. Maybe even use the built in Samsung cloud back up.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
324 posts
326 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Thanks yeah it's worth doing so I'll definitely do so. As an added layer I have to use the pattern to unlock after boot.

I know from Samsung Find My Phone that I can wipe just the security pass/biometrics remotely but within Android settings that permission is disabled. I was hoping between Google Find My Device or Gmail that there would be another way. What a bizarre issue. AFAIK this device isn't hacked.

If anyone does know a different way let me know. Backing up in the meantime.. Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6480 posts
1610 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know whether it's possible on a Galaxy s8 but what about calibrating your display? Would that fix your pattern issue?
Phils
Jun 13, 2019
82 posts
49 upvotes
Why don't you use a pin or password instead?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2635 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
Thorium1 wrote: Why don't you use a pin or password instead?
They still need to enter the pattern (which isn't working) to get into the menu that lets them change lock screen settings.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
striderKan wrote: Is that really what's necessary to solve this?

I have access to my device and its not acting strange. Using it as normal just..pattern keeps rejecting
It will eventually require the pattern to unlock.
On my pixel at least, it will sometimes randomly ask for pin even if the fingerprint was recognized. I think it's a security feature.

Also if the battery dies or you restart, it will ask for pin.

You cannot rely on fingerprint only. It will sooner or later ask for the pattern
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
324 posts
326 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Thorium1 wrote: Why don't you use a pin or password instead?
Devhux wrote:
They still need to enter the pattern (which isn't working) to get into the menu that lets them change lock screen settings.
I like the bubbles tbh, and I have phenomenal thumb dexterity. But yes this is the bizarre problem, pattern isn't the most secure authentication yet its the *only* way to get into the settings.
RFDQ1016 wrote:
It will eventually require the pattern to unlock.
On my pixel at least, it will sometimes randomly ask for pin even if the fingerprint was recognized. I think it's a security feature.

Also if the battery dies or you restart, it will ask for pin.

You cannot rely on fingerprint only. It will sooner or later ask for the pattern
I think the pattern on restart is an option, one I have enabled. It just has to be done the first time you enter your homescreen. I also have a pattern on startup for Knox.

I'm just kind of out of my mind over the fact that there is no bypass or recovery option, considering G has run parasite on linking every account imaginable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)