• Aug 7th, 2021 12:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 21, 2013
902 posts
265 upvotes
in a bubble

Is my portable A/C broken?

So 2 yrs ago we bought this ://www.lg.com/ca_en/heating-and-cooling/lg-LP1017WSR today its been on for 6 hrs & my room temp is 80. The temp on the unit is set to 60.
i read the manual...i dble checked to make sure it was on Cool & not fan, nothing to drain...could it be coolant leak?

for $500- i was expecting more than 2 yrs. Astonished Face
Last edited by ammaretto on Aug 6th, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is the air coming out of it cold?
If it is, check if the exhaust hose is loose.
Jan 19, 2013
678 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa
Time for a new unit, refrigerant leak likely, maybe bad compressor
These portable a/c are like dehumidifiers, disposable after a year or two
Get a few years out of them, consider yourself lucky
[OP]
Jan 21, 2013
902 posts
265 upvotes
in a bubble
yes its blowing cool air out & the hose is fine. the remote has not been working so i will look for new batterys...Ive been seting it manually.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1202 posts
806 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
The remote will not affect its cooling abilities.. If it cooled the room adequately in the past and now it is not then it is most likely it has slowly been leaking its refrigerant .
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
ammaretto wrote: So 2 yrs ago we bought this ://www.lg.com/ca_en/heating-and-cooling/lg-LP1017WSR today its been on for 6 hrs & my room temp is 80. The temp on the unit is set to 60.
i read the manual...i dble checked to make sure it was on Cool & not fan, nothing to drain...could it be coolant leak?

for $500- i was expecting more than 2 yrs. Astonished Face
If you hear electrical buzzing/humming every few minutes, it could just be a bad compressor capacitor which is pretty cheap but you have to be comfortable opening up and working on this kind of thing to deal with it.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.