• Jul 9th, 2021 12:25 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2032 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto

My Rant on DHL

I was expecting a shipment delivered by DHL on Tue. Checking the status around 4pm, it says delivered. I go check downstairs - nothing. I go request proof of delivery.

The scribbled signature says "Joe". I'm not Joe. There is nobody named Joe working at my business. Not at my neighbors either.

Called DHL. After spending two days they replied "All good, was delivered correctly. Case closed. Thanks for choosing DHL". Huh? I was so pissed.

The seller naturally is reluctant to do anything, since the status says "delivered and signed for". And as a receiver I have no claim with DHL (except for the brokerage and HST bill). Only the paying party can demand anything from them.

Luckily the purchase was made through AliExpress so hopefully they can push the seller a bit. Still I hate to do that since they are not at fault.

And on top of that I'm in limbo as far as going forward. I need the product yesterday. I guess I could order anoher batch (probably from another supplier, I don't know if this one would be willing to sell to me. Who knows, they might be thinking it is a scam.) Would not be nice if I did order more, and they find the package after all. I end up with more than what I need. And waiting indefinitely is also not an option...

The amount is not huge, just over 300USD. Still, annoying.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1451 posts
811 upvotes
Torontario
I have a growing appreciation dealing with FedEx for international shipments - China included.
DHL seems in north america to have 2nd/3rd tier service.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2032 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
Luckily they managed to find it and deliver to me today.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Glad you got your delivery in the end.

Courier/delivery services are mostly abysmal in quality of service, DHL and Fedex included. The whole industry could do with a good shake-up. Deliveries usually get there in the end, but often only after a long delay, a lot of misinformation and hassle, and unexpected costs.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2032 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
funny thing is on Monday morning a local DHL guy called, presumably driver's manager, and asked about my package, if it was delivered. Apparently somebody else also did not get their package, since he asked if maybe I got somebody else's package. So he knew there was an issue with deliveries on that day.

But the people from the Canada wide claim email responded later that day, again, that according to their GPS records it was delivered correctly. Unbelievably thick.