Automotive

My review of Paradigm Performance Auto (Markham)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 8:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough

My review of Paradigm Performance Auto (Markham)

Address: 3 Laidlaw Blvd #2, Markham

Leslie (owner of Paradigm) contacted me via PM on here after he saw my post that I was seeking a mechanic to have my brakes done.

I needed brakes all around with pads and 2 rear calipers (both sides were seized) for my 2007 Mazda 3.

He gave me a break down of each part with the prices. One list contained OEM and one contained aftermarket.

OEM with parts and labor was $1050 (includes 2 years warranty) and the aftermarket (1-year warranty). He decided to cut me a deal and made it $800 flat cash (after taxes of course) for the aftermarkets.

Before finalizing the deal, I shopped around and no shop came close to his price. All were over $950. I was hesitant to go to him as its my first time.

Sent him a PM on Tuesday and booked an appointment for today. I went with the aftermarket brakes.

I went in 10 am today and they offered me a shuttle to Markville Mall to kill time (wow, no other shop other than the dealer offers this, how nice!)

He said it would be ready within 3-4 hours.

Contacted him back via Facebook Messenger at 2:30 pm to check the status and was told they were bleeding my brakes (lots of air in the system). It took another hour and 15 minutes to complete the brake bleeding process, along with other requests I made, such as check the headlights and suspensions. He messaged me back and told me I needed new rear struts and will also need the e brake cable replaced.

I have been telling my regular mechanic to check my car when I take it for service and he never does.

When my car was ready; he messaged me back and picked me up from the Markville Mall.

My car was being washed (a proper car wash) when I got back and Leslie went over with what was done and what I will need done.

I paid $800 cash (to avoid the taxes) and couldn’t be happier. My car drives much better now. The caliper noise is gone and he will be my go to mechanic from now on.

Highly recommend him and the work done by his mechanic. Very nice and professional person to speak with and very honest.

The shuttle service is a plus…awesome in my opinion.

Thanks, Leslie. You will be my go to mechanic as of today.
Last edited by ninety5teg on Aug 24th, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bell: $60/100GB CAN/US 5G+
Rogers-$35/17GB +1000 LD minutes
34 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2162 posts
694 upvotes
OP, for the aftermarket parts, which brand/model of pads/rotors did Leslie provide?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Happy to hear you were satisfied with your service, personally I would have driven a rust bucket 07 mazda3 to the ground doing nothing more than an annual oil change.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
malecoke wrote: OP, for the aftermarket parts, which brand/model of pads/rotors did Leslie provide?
I forgot the name...I will get the info and post it here...it was a comparable rotors to Wagner.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4653 upvotes
Montreal
ninety5teg wrote: Address: 3 Laidlaw Blvd #2, Markham

Leslie (owner of Paradigm) contacted me via PM on here after he saw my post that I was seeking a mechanic to have my brakes done.

I needed brakes all around with pads and 2 rear calipers (both sides were seized) for my 2007 Mazda 3.

He gave me a break down of each part with the prices. One list contained OEM and one contained aftermarket.

He decided to cut me a deal and made it $800 flat cash for the aftermarkets.

Before finalizing the deal, I shopped around and no shop came close to his price. All were over $950. I was hesitant to go to him as its my first time.

Sent him a PM on Tuesday and booked an appointment for today. I went with the aftermarket brakes.

I went in 10 am today and they offered me a shuttle to Markville Mall to kill time (wow, no other shop other than the dealer offers this, how nice!)

When my car was ready; he messaged me back and picked me up from the Markville Mall.
My car was being washed (a proper car wash) when I got back and Leslie went over with what was done and what I will need done.

I paid $800 cash (to avoid the tax) and couldn’t be happier. My car drives much better now. The caliper noise is gone and he will be my go to mechanic from now on.

I'm sure the CRA would be very pleased with this. Obviously it will be cheaper if you're not paying the 13% on the final bill.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13007 posts
7792 upvotes
Brampton
How do you go from 1200 to 950 to 600 to 1050 to finally paying 800? each time it was never a apples to apples comparison on the parts used.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
tebore wrote: How do you go from 1200 to 950 to 600 to 1050 to finally paying 800? each time it was never a apples to apples comparison on the parts used.
All prices posted on my thread includes tax...so yes some shops that I called I asked if it was including tax and they did confirm it was..

$1050 with taxes was OEM quote from Paradigm Auto and $800 for aftermarket...$950 was quoted by my mechanic I go to always...mistake on my thread I made was not stating I paid taxes..it was $800 cash after taxes..which I should have stated.....hope this clears the confusion..

sorry for the misunderstanding.
Last edited by ninety5teg on Aug 24th, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
malecoke wrote: OP, for the aftermarket parts, which brand/model of pads/rotors did Leslie provide?
Rotors and pads are WBR..
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1152 posts
1520 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Just some advice...since you paid cash... im guessing he did not gave you an invoice showing the work/labour/cost description and the 1 year warranty he mentioned. If he did good..end of story. I hope you've ask something in black and white about the warranty...1 year is a bit long for mechanics...they tend to forget whats been done in few weeks back...Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4653 upvotes
Montreal
ninety5teg wrote: All prices posted on my thread includes tax...so yes some shops that I called I asked if it was including tax and they did confirm it was..

$1050 with taxes was OEM quote from Paradigm Auto and $800 for aftermarket...$950 was quoted by my mechanic I go to always...mistake on my thread I made was not stating I paid taxes..it was $800 cash after taxes..which I should have stated.....hope this clears the confusion..

sorry for the misunderstanding.
So you went and edited your original post which clearly said you paid cash to avoid taxes and now you claim price was all included and you paid taxes? Your credibility just went out the window.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
ottofly wrote: So you went and edited your original post which clearly said you paid cash to avoid taxes and now you claim price was all included and you paid taxes? Your credibility just went out the window.
What difference does it make for you on what I paid? I see you are in Montreal..not sure whats bugging you? OR is that you work for the CRA?

Its unbelievable how some people on this forum just come around to trash another person's thread...and you're a good example of that...no one else has a problem except you! If you dont have any positive things to say then dont bother coming here and thrashing my thread!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1152 posts
1520 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
ottofly..OP is just happy that he got a deal...whatever it is...lets give it to him...credibility is not the issue here...
ottofly wrote: So you went and edited your original post which clearly said you paid cash to avoid taxes and now you claim price was all included and you paid taxes? Your credibility just went out the window.
Aug 10, 2015
345 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
ninety5teg wrote: Address: 3 Laidlaw Blvd #2, Markham

OEM with parts and labor was $1050 (includes 2 years warranty) and the aftermarket (1-year warranty). He decided to cut me a deal and made it $800 flat cash (after taxes of course) for the aftermarkets.

Contacted him back via Facebook Messenger at 2:30 pm to check the status and was told they were bleeding my brakes (lots of air in the system). It took another hour and 15 minutes to complete the brake bleeding process, along with other requests I made, such as check the headlights and suspensions. He messaged me back and told me I needed new rear struts and will also need the e brake cable replaced.

I have been telling my regular mechanic to check my car when I take it for service and he never does.

I paid $800 cash (to avoid the taxes) and couldn’t be happier. My car drives much better now. The caliper noise is gone and he will be my go to mechanic from now on.

Highly recommend him and the work done by his mechanic. Very nice and professional person to speak with and very honest.

The shuttle service is a plus…awesome in my opinion.

Thanks, Leslie. You will be my go to mechanic as of today.
iGarage does this...so your statement is false. But good try anyways Leslie..I mean ninety5teg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3182 posts
1530 upvotes
sounds like a fair review.

I'm not sure why people are ragging on him about the $800 cash. The taxes part really has nothing to do with him. As a consumer, it's implied that it's taxes included, not "no taxes". It's up to the shop to decide if they are going to declare the income ($708) and HST charged ($92) or not.

A lot of places do cash instead of taking credit cards and also give a discount so that they don't have to pay the credit card fee. Again, nothing to do with the consumer (though, yes, many credit cards state that vendors cannot charge a premium for customers paying by credit card, but many vendors get around that by offering a "discount" for cash payments).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2850 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
viiveyy wrote: iGarage does this...so your statement is false. But good try anyways Leslie..I mean ninety5teg
Never visited iGarage...so I wouldnt be aware of this...but thanks for the info
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3014 upvotes
keenland
so..it that price of $700 plus hst ..or $800 all in supposed to be a good price?..is that what you are advertising ?...i guess in some peoples world ?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
our famous RFDer @vaportech aka Leslie has all grown up and matured in helping out people in needs. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17185 posts
7062 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I thought they only do work on BMW?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: I thought they only do work on BMW?
A garage working solely on BMWs will NOT survive, also given the area his garage located is full of other garages (easily 50+) that provide the similar services
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Could be worse, like $2400 worse. At least Leslie isn't Robbin'u'son.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke