• May 16th, 2021 11:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham

My Rust Repair Story

Sharing some information if you have rust on your car/truck that needs to be repaired.

I have a Japanese SUV, the engine and tranny are solid but I had a little rust along the passenger rear wheel area. I tried to sand it down
but realized that it was a lot bigger than I thought/beyond my abilities. The metal crumbled, my side fender actually came off so I was pretty nervous.

I called a few Markham/Toronto body shops, sent in photos and they all said, sorry we don't want the work. Seriously!
The last shop I called said no body shop in Markham/Toronto will do rust repair, there is no money in it. At least he was being honest.

So now I was really nervous, but thought back to my Hamilton roots and remembered a lot of the body shops there are great at doing metal work.
It is steel town after all. So I called https://www.depewautobody.com, and the owner was open to having a look. I drove down and he gave me a reasonable estimate, and I
was very happy with the work. He actually put on a brand new piece of metal/matched the paint. He showed me the photos of the metal he put on. Solid work!

Keep in mind, He said there are limits to what he could do. He said if I waited any longer he might not have been able to do anything. You see one little area of rust and think it is not that big a deal but there is a lot hiding in there. Anyways, it was an interesting experience, happy it worked out in the end. Hope that helps.

Photos are before and after
Images
  • 20210427_160955.jpg
  • 20210427_160950.jpg
  • 20210515_084203.jpg
Last edited by dealman1 on May 15th, 2021 8:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15601 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This repair may only last a couple years.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14622 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: This repair may only last a couple years.
This

I had similar work done years ago on my Integra and it came back. The rust started at the welds and spread from there
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
If all he did was bondo/filler, then yeah it would not last that long.

He had to cut all the rusted metal out to get to clean metal. From there he added new metal/treat and paint. I imagine it depends on who does the work, he has been around for 30+ years.
I can not believe that cars that are properly restored only last a couple years.

Anyways, regardless of what happens I will post back over the years, plan on keeping the truck for a while.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22283 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
thx for sharing OP! This is good to know - whenever I get another car & I have rust, I may go this route!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14622 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
dealman1 wrote: If all he did was bondo/filler, then yeah it would not last that long.

He had to cut all the rusted metal out to get to clean metal. From there he added new metal/treat and paint. I imagine it depends on who does the work, he has been around for 30+ years.
I can not believe that cars that are properly restored only last a couple years.

Anyways, regardless of what happens I will post back over the years, plan on keeping the truck for a while.
That’s exactly what my shop did, they cut out all the rust and welded in new metal

Hopefully yours lasts better than mine did
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
Thx for sharing, it is good to know and will keep an eye on it. I feel confident it will work out. I have the truck sprayed every year and it was just this one spot that was an issue. Hopefully it works out.
Oct 21, 2006
749 posts
501 upvotes
hi op I think the shop did a good job, may I ask how much did the job cost approximately?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1024 posts
877 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: This repair may only last a couple years.
Couple of years may be optimistic.

But knowing of a bodyshop that fixes rust and is reasonable is good to know.
I have never found a good bodyshop for rust in Ottawa.
Nov 22, 2017
733 posts
436 upvotes
What's the year of your japanese SUV? From a value perspective you have to factor in the age/mileage and shape of a vehicle before going bonkers in trying to repair rust. Rust only becomes a safety issue for most cars around the 9-14 year mark of a vehicle when it starts to to build around the structural components of your car's chassis (the long rails that run the length of the car). Unless you are a person that cares about the aesthetics of your vehicle then I wouldn't waste any money on repairing rust because it will eventually come back and there's simply no stopping it. I feel most people replace their vehicles around the 10 year mark anyways. That's just my 2 cents, I'm sure there's others that have a different philosophy towards rust.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4723 posts
3954 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dealman1 wrote: If all he did was bondo/filler, then yeah it would not last that long.

Yes, it does in part depend on who does the work. But the main variable is the vehicle itself. The primer and galvanization is the same age throughout and if it failed in one area there’s probably more places where it’s in some stage of failure. And at the repair site, even though he got to a section of good metal to base the repair on, that spot is pretty close to where the primer/galvanization failed originally so it’s pretty close to an “at risk area”. Also, they can get down to clean bare metal to do the repair but they can only prime and paint it - they cannot really re-galvanize it.
So that area will always be prone to recurrence of rust. Add into the mix that it’s in an area highly prone to stone chips. All to say that there’s probably a spot 2 or 3 inches away from the repair where rust is opportune to hit.

All that said, it’s like cancer. Sometimes you can have an operation and get it removed but it comes back, and other times it gets removed and never comes back. Fingers crossed for you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
My car has body rust in three areas. All started with parking lot dings/scrapes (one was my fault, the others were gifts from anonymous benefactors) that I touched up / sealed at the time. Now, the car is over 11 years old, has 240k+ kms on the odo. I am sure that $5k would restore the exterior to its original condition but the rust will eventually come back in other places so I would be buying 3-4 years max. In my case, the rest of the car is in amazing condition and drives/handles great so it might be "worth it". It would certainly enhance resale value if I sold it before the rust returned. It really is a crapshoot with older cars once they start rusting.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
Swerny wrote: This

I had similar work done years ago on my Integra and it came back. The rust started at the welds and spread from there
Integra? Yeah, nothing will stop rustbuckets Integra from rusting! You could probably replace with plastic panels and that car would still rust them somehow :lol:
Dec 30, 2017
106 posts
162 upvotes
I do rust treatments at Krown every other year and I have zero rust issues except for rock chips on the hood which I take care of with a sanding pen and touch up pen.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1867 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill
Sky432 wrote: I do rust treatments at Krown every other year and I have zero rust issues except for rock chips on the hood which I take care of with a sanding pen and touch up pen.
This!

I did formula 3000 protection on the 2011 Mazda 3 and as of today not a spec of rust has formed. If anyone is to keep a car longer term it is well worth the investment.

If u want ur car to run well as last long, u do oil changes and preventative maintenance.

If u want ur car to not rust and last long, you do rust protection treatments.

It’s either these two things, or don’t drive in wet and snowy weather
Dec 30, 2017
106 posts
162 upvotes
Formula 3000 is amazing. I bought a bunch of cans when they went on sale at TSC Peavey Mart.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
My SUV is 2003, it has 200K on it and it runs/looks new, I only use Mobil 1 etc. I Krown protect every year, and the rest of the truck, underneath, etc is perfect.
This one spot for some reason rusted. Again the truck is 18 years old, so it is expected as well I bought the truck 7 years old, so can't blame Krown.

Yes Euro Steel (VW/BMW) is amazing! but Japanese engines are less maintenance/problems.

Will have a look at the Formula 3000. Thanks