Art and Photography

My sensor is covered in scratches, what should I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2019 2:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts

My sensor is covered in scratches, what should I do?

Hello, I recently bought a 5d classic online. I bought the one I did because the exterior look in great condition. When I got it I noticed that there was dust on the sensor and in the view finder so I ordered a air puffer. well I came in the mail and I spent a good five min puffing and looked at the before and after images, I couldn't see a difference. So I decided to tweak the settings to see how much dust was on my sensor by adding clarity, dehaze ect ect, and this showed up. How much would it cost to fix this? the scratches only effect normal images if im stopped down and under exposing but it still makes me cringe to see it. So how much would a good cleaning, and replacement of the coating over the sensor cost?
Images
  • IMG_3661-2.jpg
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
No much you can do other than live with it or file a claim with Paypal / your CC Purchase Protection.

May be get the sensor professionally clean / inspect and hope that it was just dust on sensor and not actual scratch, repair is likely going to cost as much as buying another used one.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 10, 2005
781 posts
123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Could be residual left over from previous wet cleaning. Do it properly would require sending the camera to the professional like hdom has mentioned.

If you are handy enough, you can try cleaning the sensor yourself and get it done next to nothing.

I use WINDEX FOR AUTOMOTIVE, diluted 50% with boiled water + a drop or two rubbing alcohol ( Optional ) and lint free paper then wipe with boiled water only on the sensor.

You need to make up some tools for the job, which you can google to find out how to DIY. I personally use a cut up credit card and the eye piece from my old rifle scope to inspect after.

If you are not handy, camera repair shop is your only choice.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts
hdom wrote: No much you can do other than live with it or file a claim with Paypal / your CC Purchase Protection.

May be get the sensor professionally clean / inspect and hope that it was just dust on sensor and not actual scratch, repair is likely going to cost as much as buying another used one.
Thanks for the reply, but i dont think ill file a claim, I was aware it was used and I do really enjoy the camera.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts
Little Johny wrote: Could be residual left over from previous wet cleaning. Do it properly would require sending the camera to the professional like hdom has mentioned.

If you are handy enough, you can try cleaning the sensor yourself and get it done next to nothing.

I use WINDEX FOR AUTOMOTIVE, diluted 50% with boiled water + a drop or two rubbing alcohol ( Optional ) and lint free paper then wipe with boiled water only on the sensor.

You need to make up some tools for the job, which you can google to find out how to DIY. I personally use a cut up credit card and the eye piece from my old rifle scope to inspect after.

If you are not handy, camera repair shop is your only choice.
Hello thanks for the reply! Would a micro fiber cleaning cloth be adequate, and would there be any different cleaning solution? (i dont have windex for automotive) .
Feb 10, 2005
781 posts
123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
First of all, I have never tried sensor cleaning solution which you can buy online or from Henry's , so , I do not know if they also leave a streak or not. ie without second wipe with water.

Secondly, rubbing alcohol is a good degreaser but will leave bad streaking on glass surface and smear badly on plastic. If there is a plastic view finder screen, windex or alcohol is not supposed to touch it.

Micro fiber cleaning cloth should be good enough----------if you found a good one.

Yes you can try using plain " previously boiled water " without Windex. In fact I don't even know if Windex for automotive nowadays has the same formula as the one I bot a few years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4325 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver
I got shivers down my spine reading this thread. Face Screaming In Fear

Feb 10, 2005
781 posts
123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got shivers down my spine reading this thread.
Wait till you see someone mention the use of acetone.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts
Little Johny wrote: First of all, I have never tried sensor cleaning solution which you can buy online or from Henry's , so , I do not know if they also leave a streak or not. ie without second wipe with water.

Secondly, rubbing alcohol is a good degreaser but will leave bad streaking on glass surface and smear badly on plastic. If there is a plastic view finder screen, windex or alcohol is not supposed to touch it.

Micro fiber cleaning cloth should be good enough----------if you found a good one.

Yes you can try using plain " previously boiled water " without Windex. In fact I don't even know if Windex for automotive nowadays has the same formula as the one I bot a few years ago.
Ok great Ill give it a try!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
Just because it was used doesn't automatically mean it should come with a scratched sensor. It really depends on what the original discrption said about the unit and if sensor cleaning was ever mentioned.

The problem you see now doesn't come with normal use of the camera, it likely came from the previous owner tried to "save $" and DIY their cleaning without knowing what he/she was doing. It doesn't even take much, just need to miss some dust and drag it cross the coating with a wipe and it will scratch.

Anyway, I still stick to my suggestion that you should get it cleaned and looked at by a professional.
wendell100 wrote: Thanks for the reply, but i dont think ill file a claim, I was aware it was used and I do really enjoy the camera.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 10, 2005
781 posts
123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
After some more digging into the 5d classic, I found that the sensor of this particular model has a special coating that can be dissolved by using a wrong type of solvent and the coating could get scratched easily by phisical contact.

I therefore do recommend to use extra care when DIY. Or better, not to.

Apparently there were some defective camera from the factory and can tell by serial # of the camera. I didn't do further search about those serial # but OP should do so. Good Luck
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts
hdom wrote: Just because it was used doesn't automatically mean it should come with a scratched sensor. It really depends on what the original discrption said about the unit and if sensor cleaning was ever mentioned.

The problem you see now doesn't come with normal use of the camera, it likely came from the previous owner tried to "save $" and DIY their cleaning without knowing what he/she was doing. It doesn't even take much, just need to miss some dust and drag it cross the coating with a wipe and it will scratch.

Anyway, I still stick to my suggestion that you should get it cleaned and looked at by a professional.
I think im going to request a partial refund because I still really like the camera. I if I can find a place that has decent rates ill take it in, thanks!
[OP]
Jan 21, 2019
7 posts
Little Johny wrote: After some more digging into the 5d classic, I found that the sensor of this particular model has a special coating that can be dissolved by using a wrong type of solvent and the coating could get scratched easily by phisical contact.

I therefore do recommend to use extra care when DIY. Or better, not to.

Apparently there were some defective camera from the factory and can tell by serial # of the camera. I didn't do further search about those serial # but OP should do so. Good Luck
I dont think this was a factory error, the view finder also has lots of dust so I think it was just a sensor not well taken care of, but ill still give it a look, thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1332 posts
1152 upvotes
I suggest a full refund if you can. A damaged camera is next to useless. You should take it to a professional to see if it is even repairable. If it is, you can deduct the repair cost+cost of your time, and ask the seller to refund that amount at least. If not, the camera is basically garbage. Ask for a full refund.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360