• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 2:13 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
91 upvotes

My TD bank account has unauthorized withdraw

It happened on July 27.
Just did online chat, and ask me to call a number for fraud investigation.
I am on the phone 40 mins now, still in the waiting line.

It's my first time to have bank account (NOT credit card) issue like this.

[update]
After waiting about 1 hours, I talked with someone.
She said the transaction is from my debit card (access card). She will frozen the access of this card, and I need go to TD branch to get a new card.

The weird part is: I never use this access card since get it (NOT even in my wallet). I only write cheques to let people get money from this account.

[update]
TD has refund me ($95.6). I will keep using this account.
Last edited by mouseswimming on Aug 12th, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[external advertising link removed]
45 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3209 posts
1827 upvotes
Edmonton
mouseswimming wrote: It happened on July 27.

[update]
She said the transaction is from my debit card (access card). She will frozen the access of this card, and I need go to TD branch to get a new card.

The weird part is: I never use this access card since get it (NOT even in my wallet). I only write cheques to let people get money from this account.
So you're saying that your debit card (information) was used at a branch to withdraw funds?

Wife just had the same thing happen to her but it was a TD Visa debit transaction from the bank card for a purchase.
Sep 14, 2012
675 posts
389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Was it an unauthorized withdrawal or an unauthorized transaction?

Any withdrawal will require entering the PIN regardless of the amount. I believe that transactions using contactless pay only require a PIN if it is above a certain amount.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
91 upvotes
starchoice wrote: So you're saying that your debit card (information) was used at a branch to withdraw funds?

Wife just had the same thing happen to her but it was a TD Visa debit transaction from the bank card for a purchase.

unauthorized transaction. it is from "AMZN Mktp CA _V". Amazon only know my credit card. I never put this TD bank card online anywhere. So I think my situation is similar to your wife's situation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7939 posts
4340 upvotes
Alberta
You sure that the spouse didn't use the wrong card? Debit instead of a credit card? Happened to us once where the wife used the TD access/Visa card to pay.
Apr 6, 2018
53 posts
83 upvotes
mouseswimming wrote: It happened on July 27.

[update]

The same situation happened to me in early May with my TD chequing account. My account was charged for Audible, amazon prime and 2 amazon channels. I was on the phone for an hour explaining, I have prime, but through another account and have never used Audible. They froze the account and sent it to fraud department. Next day I went into a branch for the new card. Charges were made on the Monday, my account was credited back on the Friday. What surprised me is why would anyone sign up for prime/audible with a stolen #, wouldn’t it be easy to trace?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8331 posts
3776 upvotes
Markham
Davelikes2save wrote: The same situation happened to me in early May with my TD chequing account. My account was charged for Audible, amazon prime and 2 amazon channels. I was on the phone for an hour explaining, I have prime, but through another account and have never used Audible. They froze the account and sent it to fraud department. Next day I went into a branch for the new card. Charges were made on the Monday, my account was credited back on the Friday. What surprised me is why would anyone sign up for prime/audible with a stolen #, wouldn’t it be easy to trace?
Might be they just wanted to make sure card was not blocked? Not necessarily they entered real address
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
91 upvotes
Davelikes2save wrote: The same situation happened to me in early May with my TD chequing account. My account was charged for Audible, amazon prime and 2 amazon channels. I was on the phone for an hour explaining, I have prime, but through another account and have never used Audible. They froze the account and sent it to fraud department. Next day I went into a branch for the new card. Charges were made on the Monday, my account was credited back on the Friday. What surprised me is why would anyone sign up for prime/audible with a stolen #, wouldn’t it be easy to trace?

I only use this account for writing cheques (since it has free cheques). Never use it online and never use it in a ATM/ABM. (NOT even put it in my wallet) How the other people could steal my bank card number? I doubt TD has the security issue, and they get my card number from TD.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3209 posts
1827 upvotes
Edmonton
jackrabbit000 wrote: You sure that the spouse didn't use the wrong card? Debit instead of a credit card? Happened to us once where the wife used the TD access/Visa card to pay.
No. Charges weren’t ours. Used at retailers we don’t use.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4479 posts
3054 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
mouseswimming wrote: I only use this account for writing cheques (since it has free cheques). Never use it online and never use it in a ATM/ABM. (NOT even put it in my wallet) How the other people could steal my bank card number? I doubt TD has the security issue, and they get my card number from TD.
Could've been skimmed from your wallet or mail was stolen.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3092 posts
652 upvotes
mouseswimming wrote: I only use this account for writing cheques (since it has free cheques). Never use it online and never use it in a ATM/ABM. (NOT even put it in my wallet) How the other people could steal my bank card number? I doubt TD has the security issue, and they get my card number from TD.
It's a Visa Debit card... so the number of the card is 16 digits long same as a Visa credit... maybe someone did some credit card random generator? Hm... or they used Interact Online to make the transaction?
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Sep 14, 2012
675 posts
389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mouseswimming wrote: Never use it online and never use it in a ATM/ABM. (NOT even put it in my wallet)
If you never use it, you don't really need the card and can just cancel it and keep your bank account. I have an RBC bank card that I don't use (not even for signing up on their website since it uses a username. I do everything online. However unlike TD bank/debit cards, RBC bank cards allow consumers to lock it which is what I've done with my RBC card.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
91 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: If you never use it, you don't really need the card and can just cancel it and keep your bank account. I have an RBC bank card that I don't use (not even for signing up on their website since it uses a username. I do everything online. However unlike TD bank/debit cards, RBC bank cards allow consumers to lock it which is what I've done with my RBC card.

I think I need this card to access TD easy web. I will confirm with TD onTuesday, if it's not necessary, I prefer to cancel it.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
91 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: How much $$$$$ is the transaction?

This lucky thing is the amount is $95.6
If TD refund me, I will keep this account. If not, I just lost $95.6. but I will cancel this account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)