Wheels and Tires

Are my tires starting to crack/rot or is it wear and tear?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 11:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1604 posts
238 upvotes

Are my tires starting to crack/rot or is it wear and tear?

I noticed on all 4 fitres they looks like there cracking. is this wear and tear or actualyl rotting?

There only 2 an half years old. not sure if bumper to bumper warranty includes tires.

pics attached
Images
  • IMG_6547.jpeg
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6488 posts
5974 upvotes
Richmond Hill
2.5 years from purchase date, or from the manufacture date?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1604 posts
238 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: 2.5 years from purchase date, or from the manufacture date?
from when i purchased the vehicle new.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35568 posts
9586 upvotes
Ottawa
Does not look like anything is wrong with them.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jan 28, 2017
423 posts
411 upvotes
Markham
Warranty wont cover tires, its a wear and tear item.

As for tires themselves, they look fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1604 posts
238 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Does not look like anything is wrong with them.
bear20 wrote: Warranty wont cover tires, its a wear and tear item.

As for tires themselves, they look fine.
Oh ok so the little cracks near the tread, thats normal?
Oct 3, 2017
679 posts
515 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Oh ok so the little cracks near the tread, thats normal?
I got my 4 year old Nokians replaced with a partial refund due to cracking like yours and I wasn't even the original purchaser (used car).

The kms and wear though was very low and it took a factory rep to make the call but Kal tire thought the cracking on mine was severe and too soon given the age and mileage.

So to me yes this is a big deal especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

Even if you eat all the cost to replace, most regular cars come with crappy tires so replacing them usually gives you a safer and more enjoyable riding car.

What kind of car and tires?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
Shouldn't happen on 2.5 year old tire though.

They look like winter tires, were you running them all year round?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4051 posts
975 upvotes
Over inflation?
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27620 posts
7968 upvotes
LOL those tyres look almost like new. I mean maybe we should see some more pics but they look fine to me.

Also, move to "Wheels and Tires" section.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1604 posts
238 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Shouldn't happen on 2.5 year old tire though.

They look like winter tires, were you running them all year round?
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL those tyres look almost like new. I mean maybe we should see some more pics but they look fine to me.

Also, move to "Wheels and Tires" section.
thanks for the responses.

there michelon all season tires. they have never seen winter (i.e snow or ice or salt) as i have a dedicated set of steel rimes and blizzak winter tires.

its a toyota highlander, purchased brand new in november of 2017.

mileage on car roughly 25,000KM.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: thanks for the responses.

there michelon all season tires. they have never seen winter (i.e snow or ice or salt) as i have a dedicated set of steel rimes and blizzak winter tires.

its a toyota highlander, purchased brand new in november of 2017.

mileage on car roughly 25,000KM.
It's a little bit more than usual, but nothing to worry about really.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4116 posts
1467 upvotes
GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: its a toyota highlander, purchased brand new in november of 2017.
Whats the date code on the tire, it'll be 4 digits, 0217 means it was built on the 2nd week of 2017.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6289 posts
1940 upvotes
BC
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought they would be Michelins. Sure enough, they are.

Not that premature cracking or dry rot doesn't happen with other tire makers - it does, including Nokian as mentioned above.

Chat with any experienced tire guy off the record, and he will tell you which makes suffer from this the most often.

It's not every tire model in a tire maker's range. Just that some of them use sub-standard materials.

Just gone and checked my 15 year old Michelin Premier A/S tires. No sign of any such cracking at the base of the tread blocks as in OP' s picture. Or anywhere else. Only 20K kms though.
Very different design though, compared to OP's tire, with the tread blocks wrapping smoothly around the tire's shoulder rather than looking like they were just stuck on.

The other big factor that enters into this is whether you park outside or in a garage. Big difference. Because of sunlight.

With a new vehicle, there is usually a separate tire warranty, quite vaguely worded but typically for one year.
Even if you were within the timeframe, I doubt they would deem the tires to be candidates for replacement.
They are not unsafe. It's just that Michelin should not be proud of that happening to one of their tire models in 2.5 years of light use.
Doesn't matter they were supplied directly to Toyota factory to meet their specs. and price - that's not a cheap SUV and should have better tires on it.
Maybe Toyota should bear some of the blame. But I am sure they won't.
Sep 14, 2020
285 posts
154 upvotes
I had the same cracking, but this time in-between treads. They were Nexen and they were the original tires that came when I bought my car brand new. Had under 40k/4years. Contacted nexen and they gave me just under $200. Used that to buy a set of all-weather.

Generally original tires on new cars are terrible.