Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1389 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa

Is my tree dying?

Wondering if anyone know what these are caused by? What are these little green things on the leaves? Do I have to spray anything to get rid of the bugs that’s eating the leaves?
Images
  • FF4C4BFC-2DE3-42C0-B32E-64B2A2669532.jpeg
  • 5E402C82-CBF3-4EDB-9C2D-C6D4744C1FFD.jpeg
  • AED6379B-D51F-4317-BE9F-8583F7698755.jpeg
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6137 posts
4444 upvotes
your tree looks like it is infested with some kind of larvae who eats the leaves, that we can see on the third pic
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18109 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What works well with many of these types of bugs, is a simple dishsoap solution - a gallon of water with 2 to 3 tablespoons of something like Dawn. Just spray and wait a few days.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3032 posts
1778 upvotes
Mississauga
tree looks healthy, but infested by larvae. caterpillar larvae may be. spray with something to get rid of them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1389 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa
Tree is at least 6 years old and 18ft high. Would I have to spray all the leaves? If I just spray the bottom would all the bugs just move upwards? If I waited it out, would they eventually die due to the cold?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6137 posts
4444 upvotes
oceans_end wrote: Tree is at least 6 years old and 18ft high. Would I have to spray all the leaves? If I just spray the bottom would all the bugs just move upwards? If I waited it out, would they eventually die due to the cold?
spray it all. There may be larvae that you do not see, or that have not done damages yet
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6137 posts
4444 upvotes
more precision: I may have been mistaken as there was not much explanation from me. Of course, no pesticides! I would personally use horticultural oil , in late automn after the leaves have fallen
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6933 posts
3184 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The soap solution solution is fairly harmless, as long as the soap or detergent used is harmless. Works by reducing surface tension getting into the tracheal tubes in the abdomens of insects (that's how the breath) and suffocate them.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18109 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DoorCrasher wrote: more precision: I may have been mistaken as there was not much explanation from me. Of course, no pesticides! I would personally use horticultural oil , in late automn after the leaves have fallen
I would actually hit the bugs now while you can see them in order to control the infestation and do the oil in the late Fall as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18109 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote: The soap solution solution is fairly harmless, as long as the soap or detergent used is harmless. Works by reducing surface tension getting into the tracheal tubes in the abdomens of insects (that's how the breath) and suffocate them.
Not so harmless against COVID-19! :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6018 posts
3575 upvotes
Ottawa
Finger galls. Harmless.

But you might see them again next year and the following year as well.

Galls can be caused by insects and a mild soap spray at the right time can prevent these types of galls but once you see the galls, it's too late to spray. During the fall, I recommend raking up the leaves and composting/destroying them - mostly to not create a rotting leaf mass for bugs/fungi to overwinter.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9193 posts
819 upvotes
Spray some Bugs Be Gone. I did one spray on the Honey Locust with all bugs covered and its leaves are all yellowish green. After one spray in spring, all bugs are really gone and the tree leaves finally turn back to dark green.

Note: The bugs on my tree were different than yours though. They were tiny green with wings, not worms.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6018 posts
3575 upvotes
Ottawa
rdx wrote: Spray some Bugs Be Gone. I did one spray on the Honey Locust with all bugs covered and its leaves are all yellowish green. After one spray in spring, all bugs are really gone and the tree leaves finally turn back to dark green.

Note: The bugs on my tree were different than yours though. They were tiny green with wings, not worms.
Bug spray will do nothing for galls.