Credit Cards

My university is allowing credit card payments for the first time. What is the best CC for 1 or 2 large payments?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 10:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes

My university is allowing credit card payments for the first time. What is the best CC for 1 or 2 large payments?

I am a student working part-time, and currently have the Tangerine mastercard, and the Scotiabank Visa Infinite. Is there a card with a massive welcome bonus that I could take advantage of for a big $8,000 payment?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
885 upvotes
Get a 10 % promo card. Cibc
They hand em out like a needy kid with a new deck of hockey cards
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20514 upvotes
Vancouver
User455957 wrote: Get a 10 % promo card. Cibc
They hand em out like a needy kid with a new deck of hockey cards
A student who works part time isn't likely to have the $60k income required to get Visa Infinite or $80k for MC World Elite cards. Try Scotiabank Amex Gold. Only $12k income needed. $500 welcome bonus for spending $7500, which OP can do immediately.
May 24, 2019
384 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: A student who works part time isn't likely to have the $60k income required to get Visa Infinite or $80k for MC World Elite cards. Try Scotiabank Amex Gold. Only $12k income needed. $500 welcome bonus for spending $7500, which OP can do immediately.
They already said in the first post they have a Scotiabank Visa Infinite, so they can probably manage to grab one of the good intro bonus cards (Also, universities usually only take Visa and Mastercard, no Amex)
Aug 9, 2020
873 posts
473 upvotes
beauramsay wrote: I am a student working part-time, and currently have the Tangerine mastercard, and the Scotiabank Visa Infinite. Is there a card with a massive welcome bonus that I could take advantage of for a big $8,000 payment?
Which university is allowing this credit card payment.

Any other universities out there allowing credit card payment? Please list?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
6900 posts
4302 upvotes
Stupido wrote: Which university is allowing this credit card payment.

All of them, if you use Triangle Mastercard
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7411 posts
4326 upvotes
Stupido wrote: Which university is allowing this credit card payment.

Just search the school you want to pay. Most of t’hem would have the info on their websites. Also most of t’hem charge a Fee to accept CC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9270 posts
10499 upvotes
The Prairies
Andreit wrote: They already said in the first post they have a Scotiabank Visa Infinite,
Exactly what I was going to say.
This is the exact problem the government needs to tackle, rather than trashing our rewards by picking on the interchange rate.
Take all the premium credit cards away from people that don’t qualify for them, enforce income verification for these premium cards, with mom and dads income not qualifying in it, and the problem will go away on its own IMO.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20514 upvotes
Vancouver
coolintheshade wrote: Exactly what I was going to say.
This is the exact problem the government needs to tackle, rather than trashing our rewards by picking on the interchange rate.
Take all the premium credit cards away from people that don’t qualify for them, enforce income verification for these premium cards, with mom and dads income not qualifying in it, and the problem will go away on its own IMO.
Haha yeah right. Take what little the poorer folks have away from them, so the richer folks can keep more of theirs. The private sector is already making that happen on its own; any government intervention if it does anything will try to reverse it, not to help it along further.
May 24, 2019
384 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see a problem with it. Personally, I have Visa Infinite and World Elite cards, qualify through my parents' income (I did ask the bank before, and they said I could include it as household since I literally use their income for my expenses and I'm co-signed on their accounts) and spend enough to keep up with the requirements (15k world elite) without being downgraded. The problem, in my opinion, are mostly people who, qualify by income or not (also, what is and isn't income? Not everyone needs a job to survive) get premium cards and don't spend enough to justify them, making fees go up with merchants and then spend 2k a year on them, making it unprofitable for merchants, the bank and Visa / Mastercard.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7411 posts
4326 upvotes
Andreit wrote: I don't see a problem with it. Personally, I have Visa Infinite and World Elite cards, qualify through my parents' income (I did ask the bank before, and they said I could include it as household since I literally use their income for my expenses and I'm co-signed on their accounts) and spend enough to keep up with the requirements (15k world elite) without being downgraded. The problem, in my opinion, are mostly people who, qualify by income or not (also, what is and isn't income? Not everyone needs a job to survive) get premium cards and don't spend enough to justify them, making fees go up with merchants and then spend 2k a year on them, making it unprofitable for merchants, the bank and Visa / Mastercard.
For income tax purpose, once you are 19 yrs. old, you are not part of your parents family. I.e. You apply for your own GST crèdit which is based on your income, not your parents income.
May 24, 2019
384 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
ml88888888 wrote: For income tax purpose, once you are 19 yrs. old, you are not part of your parents family. I.e. You apply for your own GST crèdit which is based on your income, not your parents income.
My point was just that, it's good to enforce spending thresholds for those cards, rather than solely income (even making 200,000 a year, you could still be spending less than a person that makes 50,000, then why would you qualify and not them?)
As far as the income thing goes, applying for a credit product in branch with an advisor, they did account monthly recurring transfers from my parents' account to my account in the "personal" portion of the income part, other than my actual personal income.

To stay in topic, I would split the payment in at least 2 sums and get at least two welcome bonuses out of it.
Mar 25, 2015
784 posts
711 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Also most of t’hem charge a Fee to accept CC.
From my experience, same doesn't apply to Canadian colleges which are completely fine without extra fees for credit payments. Just FYI. Tho, maybe it's only the colleges I know of? (?)

For thread OP - I think typically the problem is the amount of credit limit. I don't think a lot of folks have spare cards with 10k+ hanging around to make sure payment is done in one shot. Tho, if you have an option to split best ways is Amex SCP (if available) or indeed, Brim WE might be an interesting candidate, as long as you can get such high credit limit in one shot (but I guess YMMV)
Last edited by dimon222 on Aug 7th, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7411 posts
4326 upvotes
Andreit wrote: My point was just that, it's good to enforce spending thresholds for those cards, rather than solely income (even making 200,000 a year, you could still be spending less than a person that makes 50,000, then why would you qualify and not them?)
As far as the income thing goes, applying for a credit product in branch with an advisor, they did account monthly recurring transfers from my parents' account to my account in the "personal" portion of the income part, other than my actual personal income.

To stay in topic, I would split the payment in at least 2 sums and get at least two welcome bonuses out of it.
Why are you even discussing min. Spending on CC here? There is a separate thread about that $15k min. Spending for MC.
May 24, 2019
384 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
ml88888888 wrote: Why are you even discussing min. Spending on CC here? There is a separate thread about that $15k min. Spending for MC.
I was responding to someone else who was talking about premium card problems (read the quote on the first post of mine you replied to) Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1568 posts
1958 upvotes
Why should rich people get better credit card rewards than poor people? That's a regressive tax.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9270 posts
10499 upvotes
The Prairies
someweirdo wrote: Why should rich people get better credit card rewards than poor people? That's a regressive tax.
Kiraly wrote: Haha yeah right. Take what little the poorer folks have away from them, so the richer folks can keep more of theirs.
Since when is 60k or even 80k income, considered rich?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7411 posts
4326 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: Since when is 60k or even 80k income, considered rich?
Relatively speaking, comparing to people Making $40k.