Credit Cards

My university is allowing credit card payments for the first time. What is the best CC for 1 or 2 large payments?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 10:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1890 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
coolintheshade wrote: Since when is 60k or even 80k income, considered rich?
ml88888888 wrote: Relatively speaking, comparing to people Making $40k.
My income is 60k. Where I come from, it is considered rich.
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15805 posts
21540 upvotes
Vancouver
coolintheshade wrote: Since when is 60k or even 80k income, considered rich?
Relatively speaking. 88% of Canadians’ income falls below the minimum required to get a World Elite card.

Why restrict these premium cards to high income people? That’s not done with Amex cards. Look at Scotiabank Amex Gold. It has most of the benefits of World Elite cards and the income requirement is only $12k. Even Amex Platinum. You don’t need a high income for that at either—anyone with $700, a credit score, and a pulse can get one. Why impose these high income requirements on Visa/MC but not Amex? Just make the Visa/MC annual fees higher. That will already root out the lower income earners if that is the goal.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1961 posts
4545 upvotes
Stupido wrote: Which university is allowing this credit card payment.

Any other universities out there allowing credit card payment? Please list?
UBC has allowed credit card for several years now but tacks on a 1.75% "convenience" fee to recoup the CC costs. Which I understand.

Even 1% of the $800M+ in tuition a university gets every year would add up quickly.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1961 posts
4545 upvotes
beauramsay wrote: I am a student working part-time, and currently have the Tangerine mastercard, and the Scotiabank Visa Infinite. Is there a card with a massive welcome bonus that I could take advantage of for a big $8,000 payment?
That being said, are you sure your university won't charge you an extra fee for paying by credit card?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9421 posts
10683 upvotes
The Prairies
Kiraly wrote:
Just make the Visa/MC annual fees higher. That will already root out the lower income earners if that is the goal.
Not sure that would do any good.
Look at OP, working part time, his spend has to be super low, but that didn’t stop him from getting a $120 AF card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9421 posts
10683 upvotes
The Prairies
ml88888888 wrote: Relatively speaking, comparing to people Making $40k.
And a burger flipper at Rotten Ronnies is rich compared to someone on welfare.
What’s the point?
60 or 80k isn’t rich either way.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7034 posts
4478 upvotes
I think it's depending on some credit cards and their restrictions. As a student, you can't never get an TD AP VI card because when you select your occupation is student, they would reject your application right away, prior to any income information. However, 3 years ago, my daughter (still student) was able to get Scotia Passport VI by herself (no family income pooling)