My wait is finally almost over - 5 special new Snapdragon 855 features

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2018 2:44 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

My wait is finally almost over - 5 special new Snapdragon 855 features

I probably just care about the HDR10+ video and the dual-frequency GPS that was announced since late last year and has only made it to Huawei and Xiaomi higher end phones.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-ne ... 0_id111695

Dual-frequency GPS

While already present on the Xiaomi Mi 8 EE and Huawei's Mate 20 Pro with additional chips like Broadcom's BCM47755, Qualcomm is now bringing full dual frequency GPS support to all future phones with Snapdragon 855. That means they will be way more accurate in crowded cities with tall buildings or at highway interchanges. Android Nougat landed support for satellites outside of the U.S. GPS system, like the Russian GLONASS, the Japanese QZSS, the Chinese BeiDou, and Europe's Galileo constellations.

Android Pie, however, lets developers test and use extra measurements for more accurate positioning, like the ones from the accelerometer, or the barometric sensor for altitude. It also introduces the above-mentioned "dual-frequency" support, so that the GPS receiver can track more than one radio signal from each satellite, and on different frequencies at that.

For the U.S. GPS system, those channels are L1 and L5, and that's what Snapdragon 855-equipped phones would support, greatly reducing GPS soul-searching and lock-in times, while improving placement accuracy, without having to tack on extra chips. Here's an exaggerated video of what dual-frequency GPS accuracy might be.
1 reply

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)