Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
100 posts
2 upvotes

Is my wife eligible for EI

Hello,

My wife worked part time while studying in a cafe...about 20-30 hours a week and and left her job because she started a full-time paid intership at the governement in may for 16 weeks. The internship finishes in August and was required for her to get her degree. When it finishes, she will be done with her masters degree. She always paid EI on both jobs. Can she claim EI?

Thank you
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
She left her job = QUIT, so first job not entitled to EI.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5390 posts
1957 upvotes
Nope.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38193 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yes she qualifies, as she had continuous employment (regardless if you leave/quit from one place of employment to the next).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5390 posts
1957 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Yes she qualifies, as she had continuous employment (regardless if you leave/quit from one place of employment to the next).
Cool. On what grounds?
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8132 posts
3476 upvotes
Financial District B…
TodayHello wrote: Cool. On what grounds?
On the grounds the OP can find a time machine to go back to the 80/90's(<93, Bill C-113) when the program was still called UI (unemployment insurance)
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38193 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
^She left a part time job to pursue a full time job.
The contract is ending, she didn't quit.
She was never unemployed...I don't see any issues to apply for EI benefits.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8132 posts
3476 upvotes
Financial District B…
vkizzle wrote: ^She left a part time job to pursue a full time job.
The contract is ending, she didn't quit.
She was never unemployed...I don't see any issues to apply for EI benefits.
If you're talking about qualified roll-over insurable hours/weeks then that may be the case(unsure about PT employment). Your initial post suggested something totally different.

Voluntarily leaving/quitting your employment without just cause makes her ineligible for EI benefits.

I also don't think internships/contractual or term employment qualifies at end of term.
Besides this, OP's wife is not unemployed anyways. Is he trying to claim EI on her PT employment? and continue to work FT at same time?
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38193 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
mikeymike1 wrote: If you're talking about qualified roll-over insurable hours/weeks then that may be the case(unsure about PT employment). Your initial post suggested something totally different.

Voluntarily leaving/quitting your employment without just cause makes her ineligible for EI benefits.

I also don't think internships/contractual or term employment qualifies at end of term.
Besides this, OP's wife is not unemployed anyways. Is he trying to claim EI on her PT employment? and continue to work FT at same time?
Not my fault you guys are quick to judge and only read about his wife quitting the first place of employment.
I see continuous employment and as long as the employer deducts EI payments off her pay it doesn't matter if its part time, internship etc...
EI is calculated based off the last 52wks of employment and at a min of 420hrs of employment to qualify.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
100 posts
2 upvotes
sorry all, English is not my first language. As mentionned, my wife quit her job to start her intern. She paid EI deducts all the time she worked. I work full-time but because my wife will be jobless in a couple weeks, I want to know if she can claim EI when her interns finishes in a couple weeks to help us pay the bills. Forgot to mention that she had to pay for her semester credits (9) because the internship counts as acadamic activity too.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4395 posts
743 upvotes
This will tell you how many insurable hours you need to qualify:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... tml#Number
One way is to look at your T4 and see how many insurable hours your wife had in the last 52 weeks, another is just trying to guess how much she worked.
If that internship alone is full time (40 hours per week) that alone would be 640 hours, so chances are she qualifies.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6580 posts
8347 upvotes
GTA
Call or go to the EI office and ask. Pick up the application forms while you are there if she is eligible. You already got yes , no and maybe replies here.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4395 posts
743 upvotes
tew wrote: Call or go to the EI office and ask. Pick up the application forms while you are there if she is eligible. You already got both yes and no replies here. the EI office will let you know for sure.
They don't want to apply now though, and i think you need to wait 2 weeks after you are eligible in order to apply for EI.

By the way, OP, are you sure her current employer wants your wife to go back to school? I ask because i have a friend that was hired by a bank before he finished his degree and they had a verbal agreement that he is going to finish school in the next semester, that was the basis for hiring him. In reality he just took his time and nobody cared and took him 2 years to finish his degree.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13448 posts
4355 upvotes
Coop not entitled to EI. Coop is not considered a contract job. Cause it doesn't fit in the criteria of looking for a job and continuously working. She wasn't fired or layoff but finishing school.

Depends the internship is part of school or not. Just as a student can't claim EI after finishing his degree than claimed he did internship 4 months earlier prior to doing his last semester of classes.

I agree with the previous guy. If she has enough accumulated hours together with two jobs, she might qualify.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
H
spike1128 wrote: Coop not entitled to EI. Coop is not considered a contract job. Cause it doesn't fit in the criteria of looking for a job and continuously working. She wasn't fired or layoff but finishing school.

Depends the internship is part of school or not. Just as a student can't claim EI after finishing his degree than claimed he did internship 4 months earlier prior to doing his last semester of classes.

I agree with the previous guy. If she has enough accumulated hours together with two jobs, she might qualify.
The problem is she quit her first job then you say coop is not qualify for EI then now you say she might qualify?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
664 upvotes
North York
OP, just tell your wife to apply for EI then you will find out if she qualifies or not...
Sep 13, 2010
589 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote: Not my fault you guys are quick to judge and only read about his wife quitting the first place of employment.
I see continuous employment and as long as the employer deducts EI payments off her pay it doesn't matter if its part time, internship etc...
EI is calculated based off the last 52wks of employment and at a min of 420hrs of employment to qualify.
It doesn't matter if it is continuous employment. When you quit your job your hours reset and you have to redo the minimum hours to qualify for EI.

From the link posted above:
"If you leave your employment voluntarily and without just cause, you are not entitled to receive EI regular benefits. After leaving your employment, you will need to return to work for the minimum number of hours of insurable employment required to receive regular benefits. "

The internship is her "return to work". So she needs to have done the minimum hours at her intetnship to qualify. Also the minimum amount of hours depends on the unemployment rate of your area, it in't always 420 hours.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2418 posts
364 upvotes
TheComebackKid wrote: It doesn't matter if it is continuous employment. When you quit your job your hours reset and you have to redo the minimum hours to qualify for EI.

From the link posted above:
"If you leave your employment voluntarily and without just cause, you are not entitled to receive EI regular benefits. After leaving your employment, you will need to return to work for the minimum number of hours of insurable employment required to receive regular benefits. "

The internship is her "return to work". So she needs to have done the minimum hours at her intetnship to qualify. Also the minimum amount of hours depends on the unemployment rate of your area, it in't always 420 hours.
Wrong, it says if you leave "without cause' . She left one job for another job which is considered just cause. This will be allowed under EI legislation. You're allowed to leave one job for another job, all hours will count in the OPs case.
Sep 13, 2010
589 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
Wilmega wrote: Wrong, it says if you leave "without cause' . She left one job for another job which is considered just cause. This will be allowed under EI legislation. You're allowed to leave one job for another job, all hours will count in the OPs case.
Seems like you are right.
I always thought your hours "reset" after quitting even if it was for another job.

Ref: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_7