Cell Phones

My wife is on Koodo, always has to dial 1 for "LD" calls?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 11:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket

My wife is on Koodo, always has to dial 1 for "LD" calls?

Hi All,

My wife recently moved to Koodo and she's noticed that when making calls outside her local area, she's now being told the call may be long distance, etc... Obviously she could add a 1 in front to prevent this, but this was not her experience with Bell.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Any other remedies?

Thanks!
RFD Forums Moderator
25 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
For example? Where is outside her local call area?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
Cheapo-Findo wrote: For example? Where is outside her local call area?
She makes calls all across Canada for work.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jul 2, 2011
280 posts
170 upvotes
Pickering, ON
WorldIRC wrote: Hi All,

My wife recently moved to Koodo and she's noticed that when making calls outside her local area, she's now being told the call may be long distance, etc... Obviously she could add a 1 in front to prevent this, but this was not her experience with Bell.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Any other remedies?

Thanks!
I have the same experience but I don't give it a second thought since I'm secure in the knowledge that I have Canada wide calling included in my plan. That being said, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has a solution.

Tom
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
tom_no.1 wrote: I have the same experience but I don't give it a second thought since I'm secure in the knowledge that I have Canada wide calling included in my plan. That being said, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has a solution.

Tom
I think her issue is having to either dial 1 or listen to the message before every call now.
RFD Forums Moderator
Mar 6, 2017
39 posts
8 upvotes
I'm in Alberta with Koodo and for years we've had to dial "1" plus the 10 digits for all calls outside our local calling area. Also if I am outside my local area and call a local number. So I (and probably most everyone) have been saving all our numbers with the "1" included irregardless of the area. Also; we have so many prefixes now that seem to be assigned randomly you have no idea where the number is from.

Perhaps it is a Telus/Koodo thing. I just dialed a random number on my backup Speakout (Rogers network) without the "1" and it went straight through.

I understand her annoyance as anytime I want to call someone back from call history the "1" isn't there so........
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
frugalnotchintzy wrote: I understand her annoyance as anytime I want to call someone back from call history the "1" isn't there so........
One of her complaints too. Hopefully Koodo can do something, but I doubt they will.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
Koodo confirmed no way to remove the notification.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21022 posts
10531 upvotes
Oakville
I had this issue with Rogers a million years ago when I was with them, so I got into the habit of adding a 1 in front of all my contacts' numbers in my phone. Eliminates the problem for people in my contacts, and thankfully I almost never call anybody who's *not* in my contacts list, so it's been a long time since I heard that message.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14271 posts
3507 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
With GSM, I had always entered the entire phone number, with "+" and country code, in my phone book. The system knows and charges accordingly. I would think that 20 years later, it would be standard for the network to know, so regardless of where you are, the number works.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21022 posts
10531 upvotes
Oakville
rabbit wrote: With GSM, I had always entered the entire phone number, with "+" and country code, in my phone book. The system knows and charges accordingly. I would think that 20 years later, it would be standard for the network to know, so regardless of where you are, the number works.
Hahah... Imagine Telus investing in anything that can't be used for marketing purposes...
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14271 posts
3507 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Doesn't someone else write the software? :D
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
This has been an issue for as long as I can remember which is usually a short time, but in this case is quite a long time. Like Clearnet long.

This is actually what got me started putting in 1 before the number in all my contacts.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
death_hawk wrote: This has been an issue for as long as I can remember which is usually a short time, but in this case is quite a long time. Like Clearnet long.

This is actually what got me started putting in 1 before the number in all my contacts.
Same, years ago, but Bell finally addressed this a few years ago.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2727 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
Fido/Rogers no have to put 1 [+1] in front of the number.

But I have a habit of dialing 1 anyways my contact list saving the contacts, I just put +1 in front of it just in case.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21172 posts
7557 upvotes
Toronto
All of my (Canadian and American) contacts have the 1 so the phone dials that even for local calls.

It makes sense to do that since I’m not always in my local area. If I go out of my area then the usual local calls become long distance.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1666 posts
1689 upvotes
Markham, ON
rabbit wrote: With GSM, I had always entered the entire phone number, with "+" and country code, in my phone book. The system knows and charges accordingly. I would think that 20 years later, it would be standard for the network to know, so regardless of where you are, the number works.
This is how I've been doing it for almost past 2 decades myself.
Avoids issues whether I'm dialing Canadian numbers or overseas numbers, while home or roaming.
Incorrect dialing is NEVER an issue.
Hi!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1295 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto, ON
All of my contacts are +1.
Always. Literally every single contact.
It makes things so much easier when moving elsewhere and having to dial number. +1 is international standard, but I am sure you know of this already
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
Gee wrote: @WorldIRC

You work for Bell and you can’t get her a competitively priced line?
I do represent Bell in the business marketplace, but I don't work for them.

She's back on Bell now thanks to a new promotion this week :) So I guess this problem is solved.
RFD Forums Moderator