• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2020 3:07 am
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

My wife is looking for a compact SUV

My wife's Acura MDX is finally about to give up the ghost. We're looking to go down market a bit here, and my wife has been looking at the Nissan Rogue SV and the Mazda CX-5 GS.

The Nissan seems to be cheaper by about $4K where the dealer she spoke to is throwing in winter tires. My wife thought it was far roomier than the CX-5, which seems to be borne out by cargo space numbers. The Mazda seems to be peppier, seems to have better safety ratings and is generally reviewed better. My wife is not an enthusiast by any means.

I haven't yet been able to test drive myself, but wondering if anyone else has made a decision between these two vehicles, ideally at the same trim levels ? Are there any other cars in similar price ranges I ought to look at ? I've already gone blind reading reviews etc.

thanks !
37 replies
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Sooooo many options.....Toyota, Subaru, new rogue..........you can't go wrong
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
Toyota RAV4
Honda CRV
Subaru Forester
Kia Seltos Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
VW Tiguan (aka the best according to an RFDer)

Pick the one that suits your needs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
Rogue no. One of the best looking but terrible transmission and buyers regret months after.

Tiguan is REALLY nice when it comes to value.

Kia/Hyundai can't go wrong either, well equipped for price for their Tuscon or Sportage. CX-5 is dated, but really good handling.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
bhrm wrote: Rogue no. One of the best looking but terrible transmission and buyers regret months after.
Proof?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
Nissan Canada is the one offering $750 winter package credit (tires + floor mats) ... not from dealers’ side
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I'll bite. I have a 14 rogue. 211k on it. I love it. The "garbage" cvt is great - I spin similar milage in an awd suv as I did in a shitbox cruze.

If it got written off today I would go buy one again tomorrow.

Edit: will add..m my work vehicle is a 15 equinox LT 4 cyl. Has about 50k on it. Like the rogue better.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
The 2021 Rogue is the first year of the new model which means it is liable to have some issues that get sorted out in future years. But it looks like a really nice car.

The 2020 or 2021 Honda CRV is now a very mature car since the current model/engine came out in 2017 and some issues with the engine were resolved as of 2019. Most reviewers put it high in its class. It has more room than the CX-5.

I was going for the CX-5 this year and turn in my off-lease 2017 CRV, but the Honda dealer gave me so many incentives that I got a new 2020 CRV instead.

As others have said, the Forester and RAV4 are usually compared in this category and also score well. It just depends on which car's personality you like the most, feels most natural and comfortable to your wife, and which dealer is most convenient and easy to deal with.

Edit: Posters continue to mention the oil-dilution issue in the CRV as a reason not to buy it. In my 2017 CRV this was resolved by a recall. The class action lawsuit for this problem (which was just mailed to me) covered 2017 and 2018 and was settled to extend the warranties etc. The 2019 and 2020 vehicles don't have the problem but car enthusiasts tend to have long and unforgiving memories, regardless of new evidence. Ordinary people just like the car - the driveways in my neighbourhood are stuffed with these CRV's.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Nov 20th, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
I'd avoid Honda CRV- has that 1.5L turbo engine associated with fuel dilution of oil with short drives where car doesn't warm up. Plus Honda is insulting us by bring Honda CRV Hybrid to USA and not to Canada. Same like Mitsubishi bringing a bigger battery and electric motor to its Outlander PHEV in Europe but not to North America.

Why do you think Honda is so eager to deal?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dealmaker1945 wrote: The 2021 Rogue is the first year of the new model which means it is liable to have some issues that get sorted out in future years. But it looks like a really nice car.

The 2020 or 2021 Honda CRV is now a very mature car since the current model/engine came out in 2017 and some issues with the engine were resolved as of 2019. Most reviewers put it high in its class. It has more room than the CX-5.

I was going for the CX-5 this year and turn in my off-lease 2017 CRV, but the Honda dealer gave me so many incentives that I got a new 2020 CRV instead.

As others have said, the Forester and RAV4 are usually compared in this category and also score well. It just depends on which car's personality you like the most, feels most natural and comfortable to your wife, and which dealer is most convenient and easy to deal with.
CRV is near it's end of cycle and hopefully for that shit 1.5L turbo as well!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3141 posts
1321 upvotes
Toronto
Also in the market for a SUV.

Mazda is short changing Canada by not giving us the updated and bigger infotainment system the US is receiving. The Tiguan seems nice but VW reliability is iffy. The CR-V has oil dilution issue. The Rogue has a skeptical CVT. The Korean makes have poor resale value and engine issues. This leaves me with the RAV-4.

The three minor things that bug me about the RAV-4 are the limited colour options, leather only available in the highest Limited trim, and we don't get the pano roof. Even though the RAV-4s are made here in Ontario. But these are not deal breakers for me.
Jul 29, 2019
909 posts
788 upvotes
Is this a 2021 Rogue you are looking at? The CX-5 Infotainment is slow which may bug you guys on the responsiveness. Also, CX-5 is smaller in terms of interior space compared to their competitors so you may want to ensure it is enough for your needs besides all the nice things in it.

I would suggest looking at the Subaru Forester. The Forester doesn't have a great exterior style but it is a good Compact SUV. If you care about interior material, it may not be the best compared to their competitors though. Possibly the 2022 Hyundai Tuscon (out early 2021) as the exterior and interior style is amazing based on reviews so far. It may even have class leading storage space in the back as it is bigger than the current Tuscon. Rav4, I personally don't like the interior styling but it is a good seller. As others have said CRV has their oil dilution issue and the Tiguan reliability is not that great plus sluggish driving for many people. Also, the new Tiguan is out fall of next year. Europe already is selling them so you can see what they look like.

If you don't need the space, possibly a sub-compact SUV such as the Kia Seltos and Subaru Crosstrek.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
We just got rid of our CX5, and got a VW Tiguan highline, it has a lot of options, great value for your money and it is great in snow and it feels solid on the highway than the CX5.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Was in this market this past summer, looking at recent used vehicles - almost all were 2019 models with under 35k kms. Final list was CX-5, Equinox, Escape, CR-V, RAV-4, and Rogue. Test-drove all of them. The final list came down to the CX-5 GS and the Equinox 2.0L Premier. As used vehicles, they were similarly priced; as new ones, the Equinox is priced a lot higher. While the Equinox Premier was a more power and better featured vehicle, I could have lived with the CX-5. The other models initially in the hunt were either significantly down on power, over-priced, or under-featured - or all three. You can't really go wrong though as they are all decent.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
Get Tiguan. It is safer and solid. Or Rav4 for the least maintenance and reliability.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Surprised so many people recommend a VW, would not be caught dead in one, or any German car for that matter, at least not long term.

Test drove the CX-5 but hated their stupid entertainment system, no touch screen is stupid in this day and age I think. Also looked at Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and at the end of the day got a Subaru. Initially a Crosstrek for 3 years, and just a few months ago a Forester. Think I'm hooked and will be a Subaru owner for life.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2010
1090 posts
354 upvotes
This is a very competitive segment. So many options!

I recently went with a 2020 RAV4 LE AWD. Should have Toyota reliability, made in Canada, like the looks, good fuel economy, lots of safety features. The LE trim comes with stuff I want (heated mirrors / wipers, front collision prevention, Blind spot / cross traffic, lane departure, Android auto), and none of the stuff I don't want (Sunroof, lower profile wheels, power lift gate, auto climate control), and other stuff I'm indifferent about ([p]leather, heated steering wheel, push button start, wireless charging mat). Only feature I wanted that I didn't have was remote-start, but I got an aftermarket one included in the deal. Engine is buzzy when you floor it, and the side view mirrors shake at high speed, otherwise no problems.

I test drove the CR-V as well. More comfortable interior, larger truck, more rear leg room, wide opening rear door, all trims with remote start. I'm not a fan of the exterior design, and I shied away because of the oil dilution issues, real or imagined. I liked the perception of a simple powertrain in the RAV4 (naturally aspirated, conventional automatic).

I test drove the 2020 Escape. It was fine. It was only ~$1.5k more to get into a comparably equipped RAV4.

Between the CX-5 and the Rogue I would go with the CX-5. Mazda seems to be doing good on the quality game lately, this model has been out for a couple years and there's no glaring bugs, and it should be more "fun" to drive. A common complaint about the Rogue is that it's absolutely gutless. I had a rental Rogue in 2017 and I thought it was overall ok. There is concerns about older Nissan CVT's, but I don't think it's still as big an issue as some make it out to be.

I like the look of the current Tiguan, however I would be concerned about cost of ownership, as well the dealer network isn't as large.

For Subaru the Forrester is the equivalent model, however I'd probably spring for the Outback if I went Subaru, and the Base Outback is competitively priced with the RAV4 LE AWD, and is also well equipped.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
2021 Rogue is a new model and will be plagued with issues as Nissan's are famous for. The 2021 CX5 has been ranked as one of the most reliable models by Mazda. Granted it does not have the size of the Rogue, but it is the better vehicle.

If you need more space, consider the new Toyota Venza which is more money but it will be quiet, comfortable and great resale.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
eblend wrote: Surprised so many people recommend a VW, would not be caught dead in one, or any German car for that matter, at least not long term.

Test drove the CX-5 but hated their stupid entertainment system, no touch screen is stupid in this day and age I think. Also looked at Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and at the end of the day got a Subaru. Initially a Crosstrek for 3 years, and just a few months ago a Forester. Think I'm hooked and will be a Subaru owner for life.
The cx-5 has touch screen. I believe it's locked out in motion.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Not sure the MDX is what I'd consider "compact". I'd say just go with the CX-5, call it a day.

Unless we're talking about performance models (which we're not), these days this class of vehicles approach a level of similar-ness and generic-ism that means they're nearly all the same. Drive 2-3 of them, see what you think and there you go. In this case it seems like CX-5 is what you're after.