• Oct 5th, 2020 1:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
516 posts
324 upvotes
GTA

My Workout Plan - Your Thoughts?

I’m a mid-30s skinny fella looking to gain muscle size, but have bad knees and a weak quads/glutes/low back.

I did 3 sets of 13 reps of the bench press, bicep curl, wrist curl, and tricep extensions for a while, but didn’t gain any size/volume. Hoping this new plan will yield better results (see screenshot, going in order top to bottom).

The plan is geared more towards upper body for now, while strengthening the lower half with the high knee walk and low impact cardio. Left out a lot of the lower body compound exercises until lower body is stronger. The low impact/high intensity cardio is 2x/week because my recovery period is about 2 days after each session, not including workout day. Everything else is 3x/week.

Looks like the consensus is to start with compound exercises and end with isolation exercises if the goal is to strengthen muscle and because the muscles won’t tire out as quickly. Have you played with the order of exercises and how has it impacted your workout?

My stretching routine includes planks and glute bridges.

Any other exercise ideas? Is the methodology sound?

Taking Six Star 100% Whey Protein (here). Should I take anything else? Anything better that is inexpensive.

Thanks.
Images
  • Capture2.JPG
7 replies
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
516 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
o0vL wrote: How long is a while? Have you increased your weights? No pain, no gain.

I didn't increase my weights after being able to do 13 reps for 3 sets. Did this routine 2x/3x per week for 4-5 weeks then I became demoralized by the lack of gain.

For you older folks, have you found it more difficult to pack on muscle as you age? I recall it being much easier when I was in my 20s.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
My thoughts - this looks horrible.

First, you say you aren't training legs because they aren't strong enough, and won't until this are. Unless you are rehabing from something, start training otherwise you will get no where.

As for upper body, you are just doing a few sets of chest focused exercises, an ignoring shoulders and back. As well, I am guessing you are doing this at home, because you have a set weight listed. You need to keep pushing and increasing. Chances are, with 20lb DB, again I Assume, you aren't working hard enough to make any sort of real progress.

Add in some proper eating. I am 37 and still making progress.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2976 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
3 chest exercises, no back, no shoulders, 1 core exercise... no guidelines for when to increase weight, this is not great programming.

Maybe look at a beginner program like Strong Lifts or one of the many other beginner programs out there that allow for linear progression. For example, here's one from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/commen ... _starting/

EDIT:

One more thing:
but have bad knees and a weak quads/glutes/low back.
I don't know your history, but all of this could be linked to weak core. Adding core exercises like reverse hyperextensions and ab wheel will strengthen that area.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6400 posts
1211 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: I didn't increase my weights after being able to do 13 reps for 3 sets. Did this routine 2x/3x per week for 4-5 weeks then I became demoralized by the lack of gain.

For you older folks, have you found it more difficult to pack on muscle as you age? I recall it being much easier when I was in my 20s.

4-5 weeks is not a lot of time. Try 4-5 months to start. Even with great genetics, a properly programmed resistance training program, adequate protein intake, noticeable muscle isn’t gained over weeks as a natty.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43741 posts
6966 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Back when i lifted i only do bench press, military press, squat, lat rows and pull ups.
Just 5 exercises... 3 times a week. Always pushed heavy. Heavy enough to only do 6 reps then quit. With some 3 reps. And 1 rep maxes. I added weight whenever i thought i could. 2.5lb here and there... it adds up quick.
I got super strong quick.

I’m the thickest i’ve ever been in my late 30’s. Weight 180, look 160-170.

Now i just do calesthetics all day everyday. 100pull ups a day. Maybe more. I just bang them out whenever i’m board. Also do a few sets before, during lunch break and after work. I got a pull up bar @ work just for it... lol

Gotta lift heavy and keep pushing your limits.

Don’t skip legs... you need them. Frig at least throw in 3 sets of squats once a week. 10 sets is better. Hahaha. But start off low and build it up.

My philosophy is different... you start low to give yourself the mental training to commit to the routine & consistency.

Before i got really good at pull up... i just shameless did my 3 pull ups with my constipation face. But i did those 3 everyday until they became 10. Then those 10 so i could do 20. Then 100 everyday until i could do muscle ups, side to sides, and planches.

I want you to challenge yourself!

Find a comfy weight you can do with good form... and do 3 sets 10 reps of squats. Then do some situps. You need a strong core.

Then add 5-10 pounds to your Bench weight. Who cares if you can’t do 13. Theres no magic number. Just push push push.

I rather do 200lbs 5 times then 150lb 10 times.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6133 posts
1993 upvotes
Thornhill
QuicKi7 wrote: I’m a mid-30s skinny fella looking to gain muscle size, but have bad knees and a weak quads/glutes/low back.

I did 3 sets of 13 reps of the bench press, bicep curl, wrist curl, and tricep extensions for a while, but didn’t gain any size/volume. Hoping this new plan will yield better results (see screenshot, going in order top to bottom).

The plan is geared more towards upper body for now, while strengthening the lower half with the high knee walk and low impact cardio. Left out a lot of the lower body compound exercises until lower body is stronger. The low impact/high intensity cardio is 2x/week because my recovery period is about 2 days after each session, not including workout day. Everything else is 3x/week.

Looks like the consensus is to start with compound exercises and end with isolation exercises if the goal is to strengthen muscle and because the muscles won’t tire out as quickly. Have you played with the order of exercises and how has it impacted your workout?

My stretching routine includes planks and glute bridges.

Any other exercise ideas? Is the methodology sound?

Taking Six Star 100% Whey Protein (here). Should I take anything else? Anything better that is inexpensive.

Thanks.
You can get a lot of muscles in your 30s and and so on. Don't find excuses. I guarantee you that with right exercises and proper diet, you can gain 15lb+ of muscle in 6 months.
1. You must progressively overload every week or even every workout( if it's twice a week). Do you write down your workouts? If you don't increase weight or reps, you are either have a bad workout ethics or you are not eating enough. Get some scales to track your weight. Your forearms hold like a pound of muscle while your legs hold say 30lb. If say in 2 months you can gain 10% more, you will gain 45grams in your forearms and 3lb in your legs. Now, where do you think it will be more visible?? This is why you should do compounds and train big groups of muscles and not even do isolation exercises until much later.
2. Abandon the wrist curls. Do some pull ups, rows,etc.
3. Nobody cares how many sets you did or how many reps. HOW did you do them? Was it hard or you stopped at 13 because you got tired. Go look at bodybuilders and their faces. Are you cringing on the last few reps? If not, you are not working out hard enough!
4. How fast are you doing your reps? 4-6 seconds per each bicep curl would be a good range to start, not 1-2 seconds.
5. Your exercise selection is not very good. Incorporate more compounds. Technically, you don't even have to do biceps curls as you can hit your biceps with other exercises. With compounds you can build strength and muscle. You shouldn't even care that much about number of reps. Maybe subscribe to some fitness channels for some tips. Here's one example:

6. Expecting any visible results in 4-5 weeks is unrealistic. In fact, your muscles should still be sore and experiencing Doms. Did you have it? You have to commit as a long-term lifestyle change otherwise it's the same as a diet. You go on diet, lose some kg then a month later you will gain all that back. Same goes here, once you stop lifting, you will lose ALL of your gains. This is why it has to be a long-term commitment.
7. Abandon cardio. For a skinny fella, cardio right now is a gain-suicide. Your workouts should be so hard, you should not be able to run after. On top of that, weightlifting and especially HIIT style full body workouts can achieve a much greater cardio effect.
8. planks and glute bridges are not exactly stretching exercises... Go on youtube and find some proper stretching techniques from bodybuilders( not from yoga girls or Instagram "influencers") . Ideally, you should start with some foam rolling following by some active stretching.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...