• May 7th, 2021 5:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1614 posts
999 upvotes
Windsor, ON area

MyHealth Making Me Wait 6 Wks After Vaccination - Mammogram

So I had an appointment for a mammogram that I booked a few weeks ago for this Saturday with MyHealth Centre in Milton.
A few days ago, I received a call and they asked me if I was vaccinated. I said yes, on April 21st. The lady then said they had to reschedule me as their protocol is now for 6 weeks after vaccination.

Anyone heard or been in a situation like this? It seems really odd to me. I told her I purposely made my appointment 20 days after vaccination since that seems to be when the shot is maximum efficacy. She said doesn't matter - that's their protocol. She then tried to rebook me and I said I'll call back.
Last edited by kittypink on May 7th, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2486 posts
681 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
kittypink wrote: So I had an appointment for a mammogram that I booked a few weeks ago for this Saturday with MyHealth Centre in Milton.
A few days ago, I received a call and they asked me if I was vaccinated. I said yes, on April 21st. The lady then said they had to reschedule me as their protocol is now for 6 weeks after vaccination.

Anyone heard or been in a situation like this? It seems really odd to me. I told her I purposely made my appointment 20 days after vaccination since that seems to be when the shot is maximum efficacy. She said doesn't matter - that's their protocol. She then tried to rebook me and I said I'll call back.
That is weird never heard of that. I would call back and hope you get someone else, protocols keep changing and its possible this staff member misunderstood them. I would give them the benefit of boubt first that maybe it was a misunderstanding.
The only issue I ever ran into was the cardiology lab asking me if I had visited a hospital in the last 14 days or a long term care home, plus the standard questions. Since I am in and out of the hospital for tests and treaments I will never have a clear '14-day window' my family doctor then had to call them and tell them they had to book me. Its ridiculous that is effectively denying people medical treatment, and my tests were urgent. However, vaccination has never come up once with any of the doctors or medical facilities.

Or try rebooking at OTMH if that works for you.https://www.haltonhealthcare.on.ca/serv ... ammography
Those community based mammogram places like myhealth are a pain if you need any followup they punt it to your family doctor and its a ridiculous amount of work for them. Its better to go through a hospital program, they manage everything start to finish if you have a call back and need further imaging or biopsy etc. they are really well organized and quick.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1614 posts
999 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Thanks Jackie, I called them back. I spoke with a lady who was more knowledgeable.

Turns out the rationale was because for mammograms, they make you wait due to potential swollen lymph nodes from the vaccine and potential of not getting a clear image.

They did get a new memo revising it, so now I got my appointment back.

I can see why people get frustrated, information keeps changing, seems sometimes by the hour!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2486 posts
681 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
kittypink wrote: Thanks Jackie, I called them back. I spoke with a lady who was more knowledgeable.

Turns out the rationale was because for mammograms, they make you wait due to potential swollen lymph nodes from the vaccine and potential of not getting a clear image.

They did get a new memo revising it, so now I got my appointment back.

I can see why people get frustrated, information keeps changing, seems sometimes by the hour!
Oh yes I completely forgot about that, that is correct it can result in a false positive on lymph nodes and a ton of unecessary worry and possible additional testing. When you go mention it to the tech doing your mammogram as well so that they can make sure the radiologist is aware of this, as odds are what you told them over the phone will not make its way to them.

Yup, all those changes make it so hard for the staff what I nightmare. That is why sometimes just waiting and calling back and speaking to someone else is the best step.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29090 posts
4778 upvotes
Montreal
Six weeks is overkill. The swollen lymp nodes seem to last only a few days.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4128 posts
2015 upvotes
Thornhill
This is the current recommendation:
Recommendations for the Management of Axillary Adenopathy in Patients with Recent COVID-19 Vaccination
If possible and when it does not unduly delay care, consider scheduling screening exams prior to the first dose or 6 weeks following either dose in average risk patients.
Women who are overdue for screening due to pandemic delays or are symptomatic should proceed to mammography irrespective of the timing of the vaccination dose.