• Dec 17th, 2020 6:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga

MYQ and Google Home

its now free for a while apparently ([email protected] for it regardless) but had a question.

I am concerned as the Google Home App does not identify chamberlain and I am forced to install "Google Assistant" on the phone. is there a reason why its requesting this? I have setup the subscription (Free right now) and am trying to figure out what is left to do here. If you have Google Home home app already installed whats "Google Assistant" I am concerned I will muck up the rest of the automated stuff in my home!
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: Let me guess...

You're an iPhone user?
No I am using an android device.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1718 posts
1193 upvotes
Barrie ON
dreaderus wrote: I go into Home and can't find MYQ the app that is used for chamberlain.

its apparently a known issue.

https://assistant.google.com/services/a ... 4?hl=en-US

This link opens up Google Assistant, and the 2nd review says that you can't add MyQ in the Home app. It says to open Google Assistant (which is what your link did) and then click on the compass, and search for MyQ.

The result of the search is the link you posted. See my image.

Now select LINK or SEND TO DEVICE, and you will be asked to enter your MyQ credentials.

Aug 17, 2010
135 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
MyQ does not directly integrate with Google Home and doesn’t actually show as a device in Google Home. You need to “ask” Google Assistant for MyQ then talk with MyQ to inquire about garage door status or to close it.

With your Google Home or Nest Mini, this would be the workflow:

You: Ok Google, talk with MyQ

Google Assistant: “Let’s get MyQ”

MyQ: “Ask me if the garage door is open or closed or ask me to close the garage door”

You: Is garage door open?

MyQ: “Garage door is closed”

End

It’s a complex workflow just to inquire about your garage door status. Definitely not worth a paid subscription. It’s quicker to just open the app and check.
Sep 12, 2013
267 posts
167 upvotes
Mississauga
People don’t seem to be familiar with Routines in google assistant - worth checking as you can trigger complex commands with shorten key words/phrases
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
Its fine all thanks for the advices, it is "integrated" yet u cannot tell in the GH app which seems to be really dumb.

of its overall use? its garbage someone would pay for this? lol
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
webconfig wrote: MyQ does not directly integrate with Google Home and doesn’t actually show as a device in Google Home. You need to “ask” Google Assistant for MyQ then talk with MyQ to inquire about garage door status or to close it.

With your Google Home or Nest Mini, this would be the workflow:

You: Ok Google, talk with MyQ

Google Assistant: “Let’s get MyQ”

MyQ: “Ask me if the garage door is open or closed or ask me to close the garage door”

You: Is garage door open?

MyQ: “Garage door is closed”

End

It’s a complex workflow just to inquire about your garage door status. Definitely not worth a paid subscription. It’s quicker to just open the app and check.
Finally got around to setting up my garage with MyQ, is this still the only way to get it to work through voice commands? Seems kinda lame lol. It reminds me of the integration with my LG TV

Is there still no way to add MyQ as a device under the Google Home app? And to do a simple 'hey Google, is my garage door open?'
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9606 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
timofeewho wrote: Finally got around to setting up my garage with MyQ, is this still the only way to get it to work through voice commands? Seems kinda lame lol. It reminds me of the integration with my LG TV

Is there still no way to add MyQ as a device under the Google Home app? And to do a simple 'hey Google, is my garage door open?'
Personally, I think setting up voice commands is a bad idea. If anyone knows your catch phrase, they can open your garage.

MyQ is bad, why do you want your garage to be in someone else's cloud? I suggest you build your own opener and access it through your smart phone. If you want help building it, let me know. It is fairly easy.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1595 posts
861 upvotes
Toronto
timofeewho wrote: Finally got around to setting up my garage with MyQ, is this still the only way to get it to work through voice commands? Seems kinda lame lol. It reminds me of the integration with my LG TV

Only way to do this is to set up a custom routine to avoid having to say "ask MyQ".
73D3D7ED-DADC-410B-A6DB-A0EF07C9BA63.png
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11398 posts
5765 upvotes
Vaughan
What's this fascination with asking if one's garage door is open?

Can't you just set it up so that you say close garage door? If it's already closed, nothing happens. If it's open, it then closes.